Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #57

The real cure is to get a diesel pusher and quit trying to ask for more than the gas engine can give you.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Principals of Economics problem my friend

When I win the lottery that will happen. Until then the principals of economics win.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The real cure is to get a diesel pusher and quit trying to ask for more than the gas engine can give you.
People have been tuning engines for decades- gas and diesel.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #60

While I am a supporter of the 5-star product, relying on the claims of a manufacturer who wants to sell you something regarding the warranty support of another company is problematic at best.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 does NOT protect you entirely from Ford invalidating your warranty. It DOES force Ford to PROVE that the after market device caused the problem they are refusing to cover under warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 merely prevents manufacturers from arbitrarily voiding warranties due to third-party modifications.

My own opinion (and worth every penny you're paying for it) is that there is nothing in the 5-star product that would harm your drive train to the point where Ford would try to void your warranty, but waving the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 in their face if they tried would not automatically protect you.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #61

Will the tune also impact the tow haul settings?

Does this tune move the power curve lower?

Does this tune improve compression braking?

Will this tune lower gas mileage?

Will this tune make shifting more gentle?

I am assuming the 2017 V10 is the same engine as the 2015's but show much lower TQ and HP because they pulled those numbers from a different part of the RPM curve now. Will this tune improve engine performance in the 1800 to 2500 RPM range?

Thank you!
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
While I am a supporter of the 5-star product, relying on the claims of a manufacturer who wants to sell you something regarding the warranty support of another company is problematic at best.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 does NOT protect you entirely from Ford invalidating your warranty. It DOES force Ford to PROVE that the after market device caused the problem they are refusing to cover under warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 merely prevents manufacturers from arbitrarily voiding warranties due to third-party modifications.

My own opinion (and worth every penny you're paying for it) is that there is nothing in the 5-star product that would harm your drive train to the point where Ford would try to void your warranty, but waving the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 in their face if they tried would not automatically protect you.
You say that nothing in the 5 Star tune will harm the drive train. I'm not from Missouri but I am a show me or tell me kind of guy. My question would be why did Ford put the shift points where they did? When the downshift is made, is it not because the engine load is too great so that it may, over time, do harm to either the transmission or the engine or both? I'm not a mechanic, but don't torque curves, or whatever, determine the best shift points to suit a particular drive train and vehicle load?

Many have said that they get great results with the 5 star tune and haven't had any problems so I guess my hesitancy with the alteration is probably unfounded. I'll probably give in to my fears and purchase the tune just because the downshifts are so loud and annoying.
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
Will the tune also impact the tow haul settings?

Does this tune move the power curve lower?

Does this tune improve compression braking?

Will this tune lower gas mileage?

Will this tune make shifting more gentle?

I am assuming the 2017 V10 is the same engine as the 2015's but show much lower TQ and HP because they pulled those numbers from a different part of the RPM curve now. Will this tune improve engine performance in the 1800 to 2500 RPM range?

Thank you!
Here is the reply I received. I have now ordered the tune.

Will the tune also impact the tow haul settings? The tune will impact both standard and tow-haul mode.

Does this tune move the power curve lower? The tune will maximize your overall torque in a lower portion of the rpm band.

Does this tune improve compression braking? Most definitely! This is the first area we addressed when developing our new tunes for the 2016s.

Will this tune lower gas mileage? The tune should slightly improve economy due to many improved efficiency in the tune. If you take the extra power and run faster down the road the savings will be a wash.

Will this tune make shifting more gentle? The tune will be a great deal less abrasive with less overrevs as well.

I am assuming the 2017 V10 is the same engine as the 2015's but show much lower TQ and HP because they pulled those numbers from a different part of the RPM curve now. Will this tune improve engine performance in the 1800 to 2500 RPM range? Tune tune will greatly improve the overall performance of the coach. The largest gains in power and torque will be between 1500-3800 rpms.
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #64

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
Here is the reply I received. I have now ordered the tune.

Will the tune also impact the tow haul settings? The tune will impact both standard and tow-haul mode.

Does this tune move the power curve lower? The tune will maximize your overall torque in a lower portion of the rpm band.

Does this tune improve compression braking? Most definitely! This is the first area we addressed when developing our new tunes for the 2016s.

Will this tune lower gas mileage? The tune should slightly improve economy due to many improved efficiency in the tune. If you take the extra power and run faster down the road the savings will be a wash.

Will this tune make shifting more gentle? The tune will be a great deal less abrasive with less overrevs as well.

I am assuming the 2017 V10 is the same engine as the 2015's but show much lower TQ and HP because they pulled those numbers from a different part of the RPM curve now. Will this tune improve engine performance in the 1800 to 2500 RPM range? Tune tune will greatly improve the overall performance of the coach. The largest gains in power and torque will be between 1500-3800 rpms.
Thank you for your order Yarddroid!
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #65

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimer View Post
You say that nothing in the 5 Star tune will harm the drive train. I'm not from Missouri but I am a show me or tell me kind of guy. My question would be why did Ford put the shift points where they did? When the downshift is made, is it not because the engine load is too great so that it may, over time, do harm to either the transmission or the engine or both? I'm not a mechanic, but don't torque curves, or whatever, determine the best shift points to suit a particular drive train and vehicle load?

Many have said that they get great results with the 5 star tune and haven't had any problems so I guess my hesitancy with the alteration is probably unfounded. I'll probably give in to my fears and purchase the tune just because the downshifts are so loud and annoying.
I understand the concern 1sttimer. Ford does not give their vehicles away no matter if they are the pickup lineup all to way to the coaches. All of the vehicles are a considerable investment. That is why we appreciate those adding products to their applications do their research. Same logic applies to appliances, tires or other add-ons to the coach. Quality products will treat you well long-term.

A great deal of your factory tune covers your one size fits all for the chassis. Ford programs these chassis knowing the end-result could be a variety of uses from box truck applications to motorhomes not to mention the intended use ranging from flat land, city traffic, you name it. We have the opportunity based on our experience and our one on one conversations with owners the ability to correct these applications by individual experiences/tunes rather than having to cater our tuning to the masses.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #66

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post

DWRichard thank you for your support and for you sharing your opinion on our product! We take our time and are very mindful of the vehicle usage during our development process. Due to this mindfulness we have never had an issue with a coach that we have tuned. Are we in the business to sell devices? Of course, but we strive to provide value and quality over just simply selling units.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #67

I'm curious if anyone has done the tune on a Thor outlaw or a 2016 with 6speed trans. I'm curious of what kind of results we could expect. I'm pretty happy with the performance of our coach till we hit any hill then she digs deep to get up it.

Thanks.
Jdemello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #68

I just got back from a short trip (450 miles) which was the first since I installed the 5 Star tune. My observations:
First for me was the throttle response was much more active making getting the Interstate much easier here in Texas when you have some very short ones and everyone is going 75+. The Transmission shifted much smoother. The cabin was much more quieter and pleasant my DW comment on that as well. At 65 MPH the engine RPM was 2500 and at 70 MPH it was 2700 RPM. The one thing that I really was pleased about was the downshifting of the trans when I was slowing down for stops. Much easier on the braking. I actually saw a slight decrease in MPG but I attribute that to the handling enhancements I made on my coach that allows me to drive much faster and more comfortable than before. I have a 3100 mile trip to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore in June and feel more confident about going up the mountain passes with the 5 star tune and will have a larger sample size on the MPG. I am a very satisfied customer of the 5 Star tune and would do it again in a heartbeat. I also was towing my Toad and was in tow/ haul mode.
Thank you to 5 Star, awesome product!!!

2015 Thor Hurricane 34 F
2004 Jeep wrangler.
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #69

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quick sidebar here... I figured out "DP", but what is "DW"? "Diesel wife", no.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Quick sidebar here... I figured out "DP", but what is "DW"? "Diesel wife", no.
It stands for Dear Wife. Or if you want to get in trouble, Dead Weight.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, ford, problems