Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just ordered the 5 Star tune for our 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA. I'm really looking forward to seeing the improvement in performance. Seems like a no brainier IMO. The group buy discount and all of the positive feedback swayed my decision to purchase.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #72

I've been looking at this for a while also. My question (and it may have been answered) is: when in standard mode (not tow/haul), will the tranny downshift when I press the brake pedal either coming to a stop or descending down a hill? This would be the same behavior as when in tow-haul and pressing the brakes.

If it does this, I'm ready to pull the trigger.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I've been looking at this for a while also. My question (and it may have been answered) is: when in standard mode (not tow/haul), will the tranny downshift when I press the brake pedal either coming to a stop or descending down a hill? This would be the same behavior as when in tow-haul and pressing the brakes.

If it does this, I'm ready to pull the trigger.
It does on mine. In fact, it downshifted without touching the brakes, just let up on the gas... seemed more aggressive in tow/haul.

have not towed with it yet...
Old 04-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
It does on mine. In fact, it downshifted without touching the brakes, just let up on the gas... seemed more aggressive in tow/haul.

have not towed with it yet...
Thanks for the info, just placed my order!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #75

Quote:
Thanks for the info, just placed my order!

Installed in 5 minutes. Works great. No problem.
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #76

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
While I am a supporter of the 5-star product, relying on the claims of a manufacturer who wants to sell you something regarding the warranty support of another company is problematic at best.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 does NOT protect you entirely from Ford invalidating your warranty. It DOES force Ford to PROVE that the after market device caused the problem they are refusing to cover under warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 merely prevents manufacturers from arbitrarily voiding warranties due to third-party modifications.

My own opinion (and worth every penny you're paying for it) is that there is nothing in the 5-star product that would harm your drive train to the point where Ford would try to void your warranty, but waving the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 in their face if they tried would not automatically protect you.
Dodge was well known for voiding your warranty if any modifications were done to the engine/trans. They would just stonewall you since they knew suing them would cost more than the repair cost. and you'd give up first.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #77

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dodge's stonewalling speak to my experience with Dodge - TERRIBLE. Might be one of the reasons you see almost exclusively Ford chassis in gasser motorhomes these days.

An additional note. As I've update previously, we've got 31K miles on our 2015 Thor. We've had 5 Star installed the majority of those miles. We had another V10 rig previously that struggled with on-ramps and with slam shifts. Tried 5 Star then and it helped but not enough. 5 Star stood behind their work and let me return the tune with a full refund. Believing that our current rig would be ours for a number of years, I tried the tune again - making sure I gave better input on my expectations.

Huge difference. While our coach is not a sports car, acceleration is really improved and slam shifts only happen if I am not paying attention when I am in CC. But - I did have some wishes for adjusting our 5 Star tune and they came through. Only have driven about 120 miles so far but the performance is still there and CC has been helped even more. Biggest change is holding better on hills in CC. Nice.

We've had our coach cross country and back twice now. Have our grand kids spending (sometimes 6 of them at time) 2 months per year with us, boondock at least 2 months per year and generally spend 8 months per year in the coach. Would I like more room with opposing slides in the front living area, sure. Can we afford the upgrade, sure. Will we do the upgrade - nope. After getting the first year issues behind us, not willing to live with that or other peeps mistake with another coach. The upgrade in the coach's performance produced by 5 Star Tune is part of that decision to stay with our big gasser. Very satisfied.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Dodge's stonewalling speak to my experience with Dodge - TERRIBLE. Might be one of the reasons you see almost exclusively Ford chassis in gasser motorhomes these days.

An additional note. As I've update previously, we've got 31K miles on our 2015 Thor. We've had 5 Star installed the majority of those miles. We had another V10 rig previously that struggled with on-ramps and with slam shifts. Tried 5 Star then and it helped but not enough. 5 Star stood behind their work and let me return the tune with a full refund. Believing that our current rig would be ours for a number of years, I tried the tune again - making sure I gave better input on my expectations.

Huge difference. While our coach is not a sports car, acceleration is really improved and slam shifts only happen if I am not paying attention when I am in CC. But - I did have some wishes for adjusting our 5 Star tune and they came through. Only have driven about 120 miles so far but the performance is still there and CC has been helped even more. Biggest change is holding better on hills in CC. Nice.

We've had our coach cross country and back twice now. Have our grand kids spending (sometimes 6 of them at time) 2 months per year with us, boondock at least 2 months per year and generally spend 8 months per year in the coach. Would I like more room with opposing slides in the front living area, sure. Can we afford the upgrade, sure. Will we do the upgrade - nope. After getting the first year issues behind us, not willing to live with that or other peeps mistake with another coach. The upgrade in the coach's performance produced by 5 Star Tune is part of that decision to stay with our big gasser. Very satisfied.
Great write up and one I can 100% identify with.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #79

My 5-Star arrived yesterday. Very quick service! I'm excited to install it and try it out, but I don't have any trips planned for a few weeks.

Can the programmer be used on other vehicles? Not necessarily to program, but maybe to clear/check codes? It looks like a generic programmer with a custom tune programmed in.

Also, can we back the tunes up to our computers?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
OBDII scanners are cheap. I paid $22 for mine. It works on all vehicles and can clear codes, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #81

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
My 5-Star arrived yesterday. Very quick service! I'm excited to install it and try it out, but I don't have any trips planned for a few weeks.

Can the programmer be used on other vehicles? Not necessarily to program, but maybe to clear/check codes? It looks like a generic programmer with a custom tune programmed in.

Also, can we back the tunes up to our computers?
Most definitely on both accounts. The unit can be used to read any other Ford vehicle. It will often read Jeep/GMC as well. As for saving the stock file, once the vehicle is tuned you can use the SCT device updater software to export a backup file of your stock file. You can download the software (linked below) and the 6th option in the menu will say get stock file.

https://az824306.vo.msecnd.net/softw...iceUpdater.exe
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Most definitely on both accounts. The unit can be used to read any other Ford vehicle. It will often read Jeep/GMC as well. As for saving the stock file, once the vehicle is tuned you can use the SCT device updater software to export a backup file of your stock file. You can download the software (linked below) and the 6th option in the menu will say get stock file.

https://az824306.vo.msecnd.net/softw...iceUpdater.exe
I had not thought of backing up my stock file but I guess I should consider doing so in case my tuner is stolen or damaged. Is there any way too obtain a stock tune if it was lost?
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #83

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I had not thought of backing up my stock file but I guess I should consider doing so in case my tuner is stolen or damaged. Is there any way too obtain a stock tune if it was lost?
If the tuner is lost or stolen we do have several methods to get a stoke file created and sent over in case something ever happens to the tuner.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
The unit can be used to read any other Ford vehicle.
Does this include the Ford 7.3 L diesel through 1Q-2003, which has some non-standard word encoding, is not OBD-II compliant, and has some unique requirements?

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, ford, problems