Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
A.c.e. 29.1 question

I am considering the 5 star tune. Does the 29.1 use 2v or 3v carbs?
Huck.hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

Let me know what you find out, I want to do that mod also, I have the 2012 29.2, I hear nothing but positive feedback on this mod.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford F53 engine used in the ACE range is fuel injected not carbureted. The 2V or 3V refers to valves per cylinder. All recent production F53's are 3 valve engines. Just give 5 Star Tune the ECM code and they will know exactly what engine you have and what tune you need.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The Ford F53 engine used in the ACE range is fuel injected not carbureted. The 2V or 3V refers to valves per cylinder. All recent production F53's are 3 valve engines. Just give 5 Star Tune the ECM code and they will know exactly what engine you have and what tune you need.
Thanks. As you might guess, I am not mechanically inclined. Getting ready to leave for an around the country trip from Melbourne fl, to las Vegas, Helena, mt to Chicago then back to Florida. Already did the CHF so that is done. Will leave in may and be back when we get back (jul or aug).

Huck
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck.hickson View Post

Thanks. As you might guess, I am not mechanically inclined. Getting ready to leave for an around the country trip from Melbourne fl, to las Vegas, Helena, mt to Chicago then back to Florida. Already did the CHF so that is done. Will leave in may and be back when we get back (jul or aug).

Huck
Bdickson, can the 5-star tune be done by a novice like myself?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely! The 5-Star tuner comes on a device that you simply plug into a "port" that is located on the bottom right of the steering column on the ACE. It has a cap on it that should have the current program version printed on it. That's what 5-Star needs to determine which engine modifications are included in your engine. They will send the tuner with the appropriate program installed (or, if you can't find the program version, you can "read" it with the tuner and then done by downloading the correct program to your tuner by email). Loading the program (and saving the original if you need it later) is then done by following the prompts on the tuner.

It can make a HUGE difference on the performance of the ACE and I highly recommend it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

how do Ford feel about these mods regarding warranty?
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
My understanding is that Ford have blessed the CHF. The 5star tune device allows you to reset the program to stock before going to a dealer for service.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Absolutely! The 5-Star tuner comes on a device that you simply plug into a "port" that is located on the bottom right of the steering column on the ACE. It has a cap on it that should have the current program version printed on it. That's what 5-Star needs to determine which engine modifications are included in your engine. They will send the tuner with the appropriate program installed (or, if you can't find the program version, you can "read" it with the tuner and then done by downloading the correct program to your tuner by email). Loading the program (and saving the original if you need it later) is then done by following the prompts on the tuner.

It can make a HUGE difference on the performance of the ACE and I highly recommend it.
Is this current version printed on a label inside the cap? I don't remeber seeing anything on the front of the cap.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosa View Post

Is this current version printed on a label inside the cap? I don't remeber seeing anything on the front of the cap.
The code is not on the OBDII port cap. It is on a label on the outside of the PCM box which is tucked away between the steering column and the parking brake. The easy way is to order a "blank" programmer from Mike and follow the instructions to read the Strategy Code from the OBDII port. Mike then uses this to prepare the tuning file which he emails to you. The programmer comes with a USB cable so programs can be downloaded to it.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
(Don't worry. It is really quite simple and well worth the little effort it takes to perform. Even the DW noticed the difference in our ACE 29.2)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
My research says that the 5-star tune voids the warranty. Putting it back to the original tune may not save canceling the warranty as it is possible for Ford to still see that it had been altered.
chogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogard View Post
My research says that the 5-star tune voids the warranty. Putting it back to the original tune may not save canceling the warranty as it is possible for Ford to still see that it had been altered.
My thought is I'm NOT a Ford Engineer, so if the guys getting paid the big bucks program an engine a certain way there must be a reason for it. I don't have a problem with the way mine runs, they are designed for high RPM going up hills and such, mine tows a Hummer just fine the way it is.