Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

A.C.E. Bunk magnets

New ace owner here. 2 weekend trips and already the screws have pulled loose on the upper bed magnets! Anyone else have this happen? and any advise other than have the dealer fix it ? ( which they have already fixed the dinette because it was not built square and the table would fall through the benches. And the awning motor burning up do to a rocker switch sticking).

Getting frustrated in MN .... Headin out one last weekend before winterization.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

please excuse my ignorance, but what are "bed magnets"? Thanks, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

The cab over bed retracts up to the ceiling and there are a 2 magnetic catches on the ceiling to hold the bed against the ceiling while driving or when the bed is not in use. They are pretty strong! almost too strong so that when the bed is lowered it has pulled against the 3 screws that hold the catch. ( they are 3 sheetrock screws into just the ceiling) no feel of any good backing as i re-tightened them.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

THANKS! I learn something almost every day here. Ed
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

If one was a new comer to the rv world it would look like ALL the builders just started yesterday and have no common sense. Its like the buyers have to do the finish build on almost every coach made. Very frustrating indeed
Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Fabricated my own tension rods to keep bunk in place while on the road and removed one of the magnets.so that way if I forget the rods and hit a bump the bed will release from the magnets vs pulling the screws out of the vinyl covered paneling...
One would think they would have those mounted where a roof support was!?
Who would hang 40-50 lbs from 6 screws into 1/4" luan?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy View Post
Fabricated my own tension rods to keep bunk in place while on the road..................

assuming that is a rhetorical question....????
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #8

yes, with a dash of sarcasm...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

bed magnets

Tv boy- Sorry to hear about your quality issues. ShadowT just completed a long trip over various road conditions in his Ace and didn't report any issues minor or major. Our first real trip of significance starts next month from south Tx through the ozarks into missouri. Keeping our fingers crossed. Out of curiosity did you weigh your coach and what brand tires and pressures are you running? I suspect all ACE come with Continentals. How loaded were you (the coach, not you). Keep posting periodically just so the rest of us ACE types can track each others ACE experiences. FYI, Barry Hughes is the THOR-ACE factory rep. His numbers 1-937-239-6886 "E" address BHughes@TMCRV.com I have called and talked with Barry several times at the above number with questions that if we had an ACE manual I probably could have figured it out. As it is now several responses indicate an ACE manual icon(2011) but when clicked on it is actually THOR's Class C, Hurricane, Serrano and some other coach, not the ACE manual unless it's come on line in the last 2/3 wks. ShadowT came up with a number of technical spec's/plans. You should also have a THOR customer service rep contact you(120 days for myself) for any comments. I suspect you will have several as you should. Good luck!
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
yes, with a dash of sarcasm...
JUSTIFIED, I'd say!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I'm planning on Wintering Over in Seattle. I'm living in the unit -- heating it. But for all you unfamiliar with blowing the lines clear and antifreeze there are several videos on You Tube. I like this one as I apply it to my ACE.
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Fabricated my own tension rods to keep bunk in place while on the road and removed one of the magnets.so that way if I forget the rods and hit a bump the bed will release from the magnets vs pulling the screws out of the vinyl covered paneling...
One would think they would have those mounted where a roof support was!?
TV BOY .. I pick up my new ACE 29.1 this Sat.
I would really like to know more about the " fabricated tension rods " you made.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm pretty much of a do it yourself person.
Could you post or email me some info and a pic or two ?

Thanks, Mike
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

Ill take a pic or 2. ACE still in the driveway, winterized and headin to storage this weekend.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #14

Pic of bed support

one trip to the hardware store 3/8 turnbuckle and some scrap cedar 2x2's and conduit straps. Made em in less than 30 minutes.

Not sure why shutterfly is not working.?

There we go, a few turns just to snug em up, they sit right on the bed support and on the metal on the ends of the bed nicely....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	14474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	14475