Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

A.C.E. noisy front windows replaced

I just got my ACE 30.1 back from getting a bunch of warranty work done. One of the things I complained about were the rattly front windows. Well, Thor wouldn't fix/replace them under warranty so the service manager called the window manufacturer directly and they agreed to send new windows.

When the service guy 1st said they were being replaced with "thicker glass" I assumed he was full of crap. Well, it's true because my new windows are visibly thicker and stiffer than the old ones. The drive home was rattle free and actually a little bit quieter than before. That thicker glass really does make a difference.

Hehr is the manufacturer of the windows.

BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Makes you wonder why they don't build them right the first time?

That's a good dealer that did that for you!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
An additional question

You said the rattle went away, but did you experience any additional noise reduction? My Thor is incredibly loud (no rattle) but it is surprising how loud it can get up front when driving down the highway. Is this a normal thing or can I assume the thin windows you mentioned are the root cause to my loud cab?
ISURV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISURV8 View Post
You said the rattle went away, but did you experience any additional noise reduction? My Thor is incredibly loud (no rattle) but it is surprising how loud it can get up front when driving down the highway. Is this a normal thing or can I assume the thin windows you mentioned are the root cause to my loud cab?
It's the thin windows , My challenger does the same thing. I have put weather stripping in mine and it helps allot with the rattle. The thin windows rattle up against the metal frame.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISURV8 View Post
It was only a 1/2 hour drive back home from the dealer but that was the 1st thing I noticed. It is noticeably quieter on the interstate. I wouldn't say it's a night/day difference but there was definitely an improvement.

When you tap on the glass there is a nice low thud. I'll try to get a picture of the thickness of the glass soon and post it. I'd say it's equivalent to what you would find in a car door window.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

Here are some pics of the new glass

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
I just got my ACE 30.1 back from getting a bunch of warranty work done. One of the things I complained about were the rattly front windows. Well, Thor wouldn't fix/replace them under warranty so the service manager called the window manufacturer directly and they agreed to send new windows.

When the service guy 1st said they were being replaced with "thicker glass" I assumed he was full of crap. Well, it's true because my new windows are visibly thicker and stiffer than the old ones. The drive home was rattle free and actually a little bit quieter than before. That thicker glass really does make a difference.

Hehr is the manufacturer of the windows.
The window manufacturer took it on itself to take a hit like that for Thor?? Wow, that had to be costly - very.

I say good for you & props to your dealer!

Our ACE windows had excessive rattle too, but the Thor fix was some cheap plastic spacers that really don't do that good a good job.

Nothing surprises when it comes to Thor build/quality issues & owners grief in dealing with them - ourselves included. This however is a welcome success story that seems to have occurred despite Thor.
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

Yep. That's what seemed to happen. The dealer did a pretty good job of fixing all of my issues.

One thing I didn't like was they found a staple in the wiring harness for the front motor of the rear slide. Instead of running the new wiring harness up through the original sleeve/trim, they just tacked it on next to it. Its not a huge deal since you never really see it but it was just someone being lazy.

Plus, they had my RV in the shop for 2 1/2 months. While I appreciate the work on the windows, there were some shortcomings as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #9

Who is the manufacturer of the window on the Thor ACE 30.1, I have to look into that as they tried to fix the windows but after a few tries of opening and closing they are terrible, not to mention the noise
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
6400 MODELS, this is the company. Not sure which window it is. On another note I looked at used RVs today with my brother. Most of the DP's have double pane windows. Half of them (10 year old rigs) had fog in between the glass panes which means they must be replaced completely. Very expensive. So single, noisy window don't seem quite as bad to me.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
So single, noisy window don't seem quite as bad to me.
Agreed, although aren't DPs kinda necessary in the colder climes?
Also, it appears RV manufs. are switching from their noisy sliders (depending on manuf.) to tilt-outs (this from casual observation of newer models anyway).
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #12

window rattle was fixed by adding some small piece of velcro fuzzy size to the end of each window so that when closed, they are seated more tightly. One side of mine did this and the other was rattling a bit in high cross winds. No problems now.

Honestly, you are driving an entry level class A box on wheels..it will be a bit more noisy and not the highest quality. That is what ACE's price point is all about.

Tags
replace, window