Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

ACE 29.2 Noises

Working on the noise occurring when driving in the rain. I understand Thor is replacing grills on the ACE to eliminate this. Hope that is correct. I had a Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer installed. It really helped steady out the drive of the coach, but when driving, every so often, we get this vibration noise, not a steady noise, just whever it feels like it. A diesel mechanic told me it was wind vibrating the heat shield due to stabilizer changing the wind pattern. He was under the coach and said the heat shield was rather flimsy. Guess that'll be my next project.
Shifty103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #2

I haven't had that problem yet. Added a steering stabilizer last year. Would be interested in what you discover.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

noises

I'll post any updates as I work on eliminating the noises. Having a bit of trouble as now seems to be a busy repair season and most dealers don't want to work on a rig that wasn't bought there. At any rate I'll try to keep current. What brand of stabilizer did you use? The Blue Ox TrueCenter is huge.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
I'll post any updates as I work on eliminating the noises. Having a bit of trouble as now seems to be a busy repair season and most dealers don't want to work on a rig that wasn't bought there. At any rate I'll try to keep current. What brand of stabilizer did you use? The Blue Ox TrueCenter is huge.
I used the Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer.

Have had some occasional power steering squeal after install, may be loose belt, haven't checked it out yet.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

That roadmaster has the outside spring that would cause the air current to act differently than the Blue Ox. At this point who knows? I just got off the phone with Thor customer service about the noise in the rain issue and they are sending me a new grill under warranty. I'll let everyone know if this works...( fingers are crossed ). Have nothing but great things to say about Thor customer, so far they've been great.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
That roadmaster has the outside spring that would cause the air current to act differently than the Blue Ox. At this point who knows? I just got off the phone with Thor customer service about the noise in the rain issue and they are sending me a new grill under warranty. I'll let everyone know if this works...( fingers are crossed ). Have nothing but great things to say about Thor customer, so far they've been great.
I had good experience with Thor when under warranty too.Hope the grill solves your issue.

Several 2015 owners added screens to the back side of the grill, that may have changed airflow a bit. Not that this has anything to do with your situation though.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #7

I got the new grill from Thor today. It's a mesh and rolled up in a box. Now I got to figure out if it gets mounted in front or in back of the existing grill, I'll call Thor tomorrow to find out about installation. I doubt that it's meant to replace the existing one, I think it's too flimsy. I'll post later as I get farther into this thing. Hope it stops that noise!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 AM   #8

I'm guessing it goes on the rear. Hope it works.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #9

Talked to Thor and they said to replace the old grill with the wire mesh one they sent me. Wondering about the length of the screws if I do what they say. I've read a post where someone mounted the old grill behind the new mesh and had no more noise. Think I may try that first. Can always remove old grill if needed. Now just need to find time to get it done.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Talked to Thor and they said to replace the old grill with the wire mesh one they sent me. Wondering about the length of the screws if I do what they say. I've read a post where someone mounted the old grill behind the new mesh and had no more noise. Think I may try that first. Can always remove old grill if needed. Now just need to find time to get it done.
Seems like the mesh would be a bit flimsy without some kind of support. Here is a link to what Knightab did on his 29.3:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2485350

Mine is similar to Knightab's. Mesh on rear of grill. But neither one of us had the noise issue to start with.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #11

I got the new grill mounted behind the original grill, but haven't been able to drive it in the rain yet. Will be taking it up to Canada again soon, so guess we may find out then. Fingers crossed. I'll post when I have more results.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #12

Should have mentioned earlier, I also reinsulated the doghouse with soundproofing and a hoodliner. It is so much quieter now.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Should have mentioned earlier, I also reinsulated the doghouse with soundproofing and a hoodliner. It is so much quieter now.
We did the same on ours. Also insulated the underside of the cockpit floor. The noise reduction was significant. The DB level in the RV at 65 is now about the same as DB level in our Jeep Grand Cherokee at 70 MPH. Of the 50 or so mods we have done to the RV this one is in the top 3.

Tags
ace, noise