RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #1989

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Step stopped working again. Flipping the pinion gear did not work long. The problem was not in the rack and pinion between the motor/gear box and the drive gear box. The problem was internal to the motor/gear box part.

Ordered the replacement on Amazon while in Spokane, WA. Picked up part at a RiteAid drug store in Olympia, WA the next day.

Kwikee 676061 Motor Replacement Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G21JP2..._vOctDb5APZ7VX
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year, it worked at the house and when we got to the lake 5 miles away no go. Tore it apart and it was like the motor was frozen. Has worked ever since. We are probably going to Elkhart Indiana this month to visit friends and that is on my list to hunt for at all the salvage places there. If I find them for a steal I can pick you up a spare if you want. And by steal I am thinking $45 or less
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #1990

Thor Owners Club
Viair Compressor

I told you guys before that I had purchased a Viair compressor a while back, it states it will inflate up to a 33" tire which is what our tires are but it is limited duty. I broke down and bought the 450P-rv model, $320 but will do up to a 22.5 tire to 150psi and is a 100% duty cycle, comes with 60' of hose and inflator gun and some other accessories. I put it to the test today and deflated my spare till it was empty, put the valve back in and inflated it to 80psi, took 9 minutes which is better than my other Viair which I think is model 88, it took like 13 minutes. (page 123 post 1718). My hope is I will never have to use it but I would rather have the insurance ....and a new toy . Just an FYI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year, it worked at the house and when we got to the lake 5 miles away no go. Tore it apart and it was like the motor was frozen. Has worked ever since. We are probably going to Elkhart Indiana this month to visit friends and that is on my list to hunt for at all the salvage places there. If I find them for a steal I can pick you up a spare if you want. And by steal I am thinking $45 or less
On mine the motor ran fine. The problem was it would not shut off. The motor is supposed to run the step all the way in or all the way out until it is stalled by the max hinge movement of the step. The amperage draw will them increase and the ďstep controller ď module is supposed to cut the power to the motor. The gear attached to my motor was stripped, so the motor never stalled and just kept running and making a ratcheting noise.

Read a review on Amazon by an ďRV mechanicĒ. He said this can be caused by hitting an obstruction, like a curb while operating the step. He also said that if the step is opened and just barely clears a curb, then you enter the. coach, causing it to rock, it can strip the gears in the motor/gear module. I did this at home while loading up the coach for the trip.

Thank you for the offer to find a spare. With Amazonís next day delivery, Iíll take my chances.
triplewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #1992

Quote:
I told you guys before that I had purchased a Viair compressor a while back, it states it will inflate up to a 33" tire which is what our tires are but it is limited duty. I broke down and bought the 450P-rv model, $320 but will do up to a 22.5 tire to 150psi and is a 100% duty cycle, comes with 60' of hose and inflator gun and some other accessories. I put it to the test today and deflated my spare till it was empty, put the valve back in and inflated it to 80psi, took 9 minutes which is better than my other Viair which I think is model 88, it took like 13 minutes. (page 123 post 1718). My hope is I will never have to use it but I would rather have the insurance ....and a new toy . Just an FYI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Haven’t added a compressor so far. Turned 70 this month, have to admit changing a 19.5 wheel is on my “things I used to be able to do” list. Being old is not for sissy’s, changing one of these bad boys isn’t either.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #1993

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Havenít added a compressor so far. Turned 70 this month, have to admit changing a 19.5 wheel is on my ďthings I used to be able to doĒ list. Being old is not for sissyís, changing one of these bad boys isnít either.
You are SO right! lol
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #1994

Thor Owners Club
Railing addition

I added this railing. Sure is nice to have the extra support when going down the stairs.

Got it on line at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Utopia-Al...k-24/144026355

The color and sheen are a good match to the other hardware.

The dual rocker switch was located where you see the upper attachment point for the railing. It was pretty easy to relocate the switch. The upper attachment for the railing was just large enough to cover the hole from the switch.

I added plywood backing inside the cabinet to reinforce the attachment points.

I mounted it this way to approximate the correct elevation for a railing. (32" - 36" measured vertically from the nose of the step to the top of the railing.)

On my short list is to rebuild the entry stairs to correct the variation in the rise and run. (rise and run ought to be consistent within 3/8". Mine are off a LOT more than that.)

More importantly than all the above... the Boss is happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	railing.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	256426  
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #1995

Thor Owners Club
I have finally broken down and ordered the Sumo springs for the rear of the coach. Already installed them on the front 3 years ago. Been debating on air springs or the Sumo springs and they just seem to have more plus's than the air springs. Will let you know when I have them installed and how it rides.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #1996

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
I added this railing. Sure is nice to have the extra support when going down the stairs.

The dual rocker switch was located where you see the upper attachment point for the railing. It was pretty easy to relocate the switch. The upper attachment for the railing was just large enough to cover the hole from the switch.

I mounted it this way to approximate the correct elevation for a railing. (32" - 36" measured vertically from the nose of the step to the top of the railing.)

On my short list is to rebuild the entry stairs to correct the variation in the rise and run. (rise and run ought to be consistent within 3/8". Mine are off a LOT more than that.)

Thats a nice mod! Unfortunately on our 29.3 we have a cabinet there with doors although we do have a grab bar on the wall but it is vertical.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post

Nice mod. Thought about mounting a grab bar horizontally on top of the narrow counter/shelf on the left side of the entry. My 92 year old sister could have used it on the current trip.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #1998

Quote:
I have finally broken down and ordered the Sumo springs for the rear of the coach. Already installed them on the front 3 years ago. Been debating on air springs or the Sumo springs and they just seem to have more plus's than the air springs. Will let you know when I have them installed and how it rides.
Interested in the results you find
Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #1999

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Interested in the results you find
They are suppose to be here Thursday and we are gone till Friday so I will probably get them put on this weekend. Bought them off of Ebay, they were listed at $516 and there was a link that said make offer, I offered $495 and they took it............Should have went $475 lol. Free shipping.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #2000

Modified wiper arm

So I modified the wipe arm to fit the smaller 28" normal wipers
We will see how it works ....only did on just in case ....use a grinder with 60 grid sanding disc ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	256576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	256577  

Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #2001

Thor Owners Club
Wife found this yesterday, in the overhead cabinet on the passenger side over dinette, she opened the middle door and said, there is cold air in here. Sure enough where the wires are fished from the ceiling there is AC Air blowing, seems that points to a leak in the ducting system although I actually kind of like it cause that is the cabinet we will mover our food to since it will be cooled some! I am thinking of maybe opening that up a little bit.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #2002

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
So I modified the wipe arm to fit the smaller 28" normal wipers
We will see how it works ....only did on just in case ....use a grinder with 60 grid sanding disc ....
NIce Mouse, which blade did you buy? Or a model it says it fits