Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
ACE 30.1 Questions

We're in the thinking stages about selling our fifth wheel and truck and buying the ACE 30.1. We have a few questions...I'm sure more will pop up as time goes on:

1. What brand of converter does the 30.1 come with? I couldn't find any information about this on the ACE website. Have you upgraded to a 3-stage charger and, if so, which one?

2. What fuel mileage do you get...I'm particularly interested in this answer for those who tow. We have a Kia Soul that has a curb weight of a little over 2,600#.

3. For anyone who has added a satellite TV dish to the roof, where do you put the receiver? It looks like about the only place for a receiver is in the area behind the TV, but if you're sitting on the couch, the TV would shut off access to that cabinet and block the RF signal from the remote.

4. What don't you like about the 30.1?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
We're in the thinking stages about selling our fifth wheel and truck and buying the ACE 30.1. We have a few questions...I'm sure more will pop up as time goes on:

1. What brand of converter does the 30.1 come with? I couldn't find any information about this on the ACE website. Have you upgraded to a 3-stage charger and, if so, which one?

2. What fuel mileage do you get...I'm particularly interested in this answer for those who tow. We have a Kia Soul that has a curb weight of a little over 2,600#.

3. For anyone who has added a satellite TV dish to the roof, where do you put the receiver? It looks like about the only place for a receiver is in the area behind the TV, but if you're sitting on the couch, the TV would shut off access to that cabinet and block the RF signal from the remote.

We have a 29.1, but I can probably answer some of your questions:
1. Don't know. I added an inverter instead of messing with the converter.
2. Towing our Honda FIT (2650 curb weight) we averaged 7.8 mpg over 12,000 miles.
3. Ours came prewired with an HDMA cable from the cabinet above the door side window over to the TV. Not sure about outputs from a satellite box but that might work. We put a Blu Ray player in the cabinet and leave the door open when we use it.
4. compared to the 29.1 or 29.2, the 30.1 adds closet space in the bedroom due to the slide, but sacrifices a LOT of basement storage to do so. The 29.1 has a huge side to side basement.

If I had free choice, I would still go with the 29.1. The 29.2 has a nice layout, but the black tank is on the door side, so Thor installed a macerator pump. There are multiple reports on this forum of pumps burning out repeatedly.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
We have a 29.1, but I can probably answer some of your questions:
1. Don't know. I added an inverter instead of messing with the converter.
We plan on installing a whole-house inverter, too; I'm making the assumption that the controller that comes with the rig is just your run-of-the-mill basic converter. Since we don't want to spend the money to add solar (which we've had on all of our other RVs), we've decided, that if we go ahead with the purchase, we'd upgrade the converter to a 3-stage charger so that the batteries can be charged quickly from the generator.

Quote:
2. Towing our Honda FIT (2650 curb weight) we averaged 7.8 mpg over 12,000 miles.
We were assuming 7 MPG, so that's not bad. I wonder, though, if the larger 30.1 would get less fuel mileage because of it's larger size (and weight).

Quote:
3. Ours came prewired with an HDMA cable from the cabinet above the door side window over to the TV. Not sure about outputs from a satellite box but that might work. We put a Blu Ray player in the cabinet and leave the door open when we use it.
I've never seen the 29.1 in person, but the 29.2 does have a space prewired for a satellite receiver in a cabinet near the door. However, on the 30.1, the only place for the receiver that I can figure out is in the space behind the TV...it certainly is set up for cable/over-the-air reception there since it has the plate with the little button that one turns on and off to toggle between cable and over-the-air. The cabinet at the entry and the ones over the drop down bed are too shallow to hold a receiver.

Quote:
4. compared to the 29.1 or 29.2, the 30.1 adds closet space in the bedroom due to the slide, but sacrifices a LOT of basement storage to do so. The 29.1 has a huge side to side basement.

If I had free choice, I would still go with the 29.1. The 29.2 has a nice layout, but the black tank is on the door side, so Thor installed a macerator pump. There are multiple reports on this forum of pumps burning out repeatedly.
Yes, we are aware that the 30.1 has less cubic feet of outside storage space than the other two. We were at first considering the 29.2 until I read about all the problems with the macerator and that the black tank pull was on the passenger side. Since we do a lot of boondocking, we're not interested in having a macerator...we want to be able just to drive up to the dump and pull a couple of handles, not spend time worrying about whether or not a macerator is going to do its job, or burn out on us.

But the thing I liked about the 29.2 was the fact that, with the slide in, the entire rig is useable...nothing is hidden. While, on paper, I like the bathroom layout of the 29.1 better because you can close it off from the front of the rig, with the slide in you wouldn't be able to get to a large part of the kitchen. Besides that, I haven't seen any 29.1's for sale on any of the "RVs For Sale" websites. Is it no longer being made? I would still like to see one in person, but if we can't get one because it's no longer being made, it's a moot point.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
We were at first considering the 29.2 until I read about all the problems with the macerator and that the black tank pull was on the passenger side. Since we do a lot of boondocking, we're not interested in having a macerator...we want to be able just to drive up to the dump and pull a couple of handles, not spend time worrying about whether or not a macerator is going to do its job, or burn out on us.
Our 29.2 has pull knobs on the driver side for gray and black tanks, they ran some kind of extension pull so you could easily dump from driver side with macerator. We have NEVER had any problems with our macerator. And the floor layout is the reason we picked the 29.2
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Besides that, I haven't seen any 29.1's for sale on any of the "RVs For Sale" websites. Is it no longer being made? I would still like to see one in person, but if we can't get one because it's no longer being made, it's a moot point.
The Thor website 2013 ACE Motorhomes: Class A & Class C Hybrid RV by Thor Motor Coach shows the 2013 models as 27.1, 29.1, 29.2 and 30.1.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The Thor website 2013 ACE Motorhomes: Class A & Class C Hybrid RV by Thor Motor Coach shows the 2013 models as 27.1, 29.1, 29.2 and 30.1.
Yes, it does show up on their website; however, I've yet to see one for sale at any of the sales sites I've checked online...scads of 29.2's and a smattering of 30.1's, but no 29.1's. I've also not seen any 27.1's, although I haven't been looking for them since that floorplan would not work for us.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #7

1 - I couldn't find what converter our 29.2 ace has as it's shielded under plastic. It has a progressive dynamics transfer switch
2 - Our fuel mileage towing a trailer that's approx. 3500#s is between 7.5-8 to 8 MPG. Our towing includes a 6% grade
3 - Our 29.2 also has an HDMI cable routed to a cabinet like Bruce's. I haven't tried to mount a dish on the roof
4 - As others have discussed, the 30.1 doesn't have near the basement (or MegaStorage) that the 29.1 or 29.2 has. However, the closet space on the 30.1 is awesome. To us, the 30.1's floorplan just felt too familiar. The floorplan on our 29.2 felt fresh and new.

We have not encountered any macerator pump issues (yet), and there are cables putting the pull handles on the drivers compartment. Dumping with the macerator is easy and mess free. However, getting the grey water tank completely empty is a bit tricky.
mfolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm surprised that everyone who has posted in this thread with the 29.2 has had no problems with their macerator considering the number of people in another thread devoted to this problem who have had problems...everything from the rig arriving from the factory with the wrong size fuse to it burning out within a few uses.

However, I've yet to hear from anyone with the 30.1, especially as it relates to where they put their satellite receiver. The setup on the 29.2 (and I assume the 29.1) is entirely different than the 30.1. On the ONE 30.1 we've seen, there is NO HDMI cable in the cabinet behind the TV...the only thing that is there is an electrical outlet and the plate with the button to toggle between over-the-air and cable.

Another question I have is the CCC on these things. There is nothing on Thor's website that gives this information...the only thing they give is GVWR and GCWR. No dry or wet weight from which an approximate CCC could be calculated. And in the two rigs we've seen -- a 30.1 and a 29.2 -- we've searched high and low for the sticker that's *supposed* to be inside a cabinet that gives the CCC. Either the dealer has taken the sticker out or they left the factory that way. Since I thought it was required that this sticker be in all new rigs, I'm puzzled as to why they're missing.

Has anyone weighed their empty rig (either dry or wet) to find out a "real life" CCC?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we just purchased our 29.2 saturday and did our first dump today....no problems...nice and neat...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Re: our ACE 30.1

We've owned our ACE 30.1 for about 9 months now and have made maybe 6 trips of 3 to 7 days, so consider these just interim impressions. There are more details on our blog (BLOG.SKIPRD.COM) but you'll have to suffer through a bunch of travelog and boring family stuff. In any event,

Quote:
Don't know, and haven't considered an upgrade. Whatever it is, it seems to work just fine.

Quote:
Mileage has ranged between 7.6 and 11.5 (with a raging tailwind) on each fill-up. Over the 3800 miles we've put on ACE so far, the average fuel economy is 8.48 mpg. Average cost per mile has been 42.2 cents/mile (the ACE takes regular 87-octane gas). We've only made one trip towing our 2006 Toyota Highlander which has a weight of about 3700 pounds. Average fuel economy on that trip was 7.79 mpg, which was a decrease of about 8% (although that obviously a statistical analysis based on a sample size of one).

Quote:
We didn't add a satellite dish, but we did add a WiFi BluRay player, installed behind the TV. There's plenty of room. We just added a simple IR repeater, which is a discreet and totally simple add-on, so there's no blocking of the remote signal. (We also have a MiFi in the MH so that we can get internet movies, etc., through the BD player.)

Quote:
So far, nothing. We have way more than enough storage, including exterior storage. We moved up from a trailer, so I guess we have lower expectations, but I can't imagine using up all of the exterior space, and there's roomfuls of interior space that we not even close to fully utilizing. The units drives nicely, pulls the toad nicely, and is comfortable for living. The fit and finish, build quality, features, are all good. Thor's customer support is stunning.

We've had a couple minor issues (including the infamous squeak/rattle in the main slide and a potentially troublesome broken door handle), but those were fixed under warranty with no problem.

All things considered, if our unit were destroyed by alien ray guns, we'd go out and buy another just like it. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Skip
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #11

Skip,
We are still waiting for delivery of our 30.1, but I have a question. Have you investigated what is behind the panel above the Microwave? I was thinking this would be a good place to modify for Sat. rcvr and DVD player.
As far as DVD players go, do you have one that is in use while moving? I'm wondering if a standard DVD player will work bouncing across the country. Helps to keep the kids entertained. any imput greatly appreciated.
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In our ACE 29.2 with 5-Star tune we have been getting 7.5 to 9.5 MPG, including the mountains (but not towing). We have never had a macerator issue (once we upped the fuse size to the proper one). We have an off the shelf DVD player in the cabinet above the bed and it works fine, even moving with the generator on (well, at least on the major highways - haven't used it bouncing down the back roads). The 29.2 is shorter than the 30.1 and will pass the 30' max at state and national parks. Besides, we only need a queen bed (even when the dog hogs most of it).
Old 03-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #13

30 ft. Max at state and National Parks? Dang, guess I've been lucky, my truck is 22.5 and the TT is 31.5, been all over the country(Canada and Alaska), and have only been turned around at one park, Zion I think.
At 30' 10" I think I'll do just fine, he'll I'm looking forward to running shorter! Even with the jeep in tow......
I like the lower storage of the 29.2, it's big rear pass thru is AWESOME, but no place for clothes inside the coach. No place to hang suits and dresses(or mess dress/ABU's)
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the 29.1 and I find no problem with the slide in. I just preplan. My silverware is in a caddy. The microwave is fully available as is the refrigerator. I do not use the range top on the road so no problem there. You can get to the pantry, so what is the problem?
As to hanging closets we do not take suits or dresses. In Arizona we don''t "dress up" much anyway.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote