Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

ACE flat tire & NO spare

After buying our ACE last October, I planned on buying an un-mounted spare tire just to have in case it was needed. I was waiting till I had a few extra $$ not thinking I would need one after only 3,000 miles. We just got back from a trip and while checking in at the campground I noticed I had a tire going down, we made it to the site before it went completely flat. Our ACE came with a free year of Coach-Net roadside service, so I called. It took them 2 hours to find a place with the same tire with 24 hour service, and another 2 hours till they got there and installed it. I'm just glad we weren't sitting on the side of a highway somewhere. If I would have had a spare they could have been there and installed within an hour they said. Also don't even ask what the total cost was even after Coach-Net covered the delivery cost, we were responsible for parts (tire) & labor.

LESON LEARNED ON THIS TRIP = ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Tires are expensive and deteriorate with age. To protect the side walls from dirt and mold, best keep it covered, out of the heat, and hope you never need it.
I myself don't carry a spare. The cost of a unmounted 235/80R 22.5 XRV tire is approx $400 plus taxes along with the added weight and space needed is not practical. I keep my tires clean, check air pressure, cover when camping, and watch for and avoid road hazards when possible.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

I bought a mounted spare, used for under $100.00. It's a different brand tire, but like new, and will get me out of a jam if needed. I bought a tire cover for it, and it's stored in the rear storage compartment, lying down on the center hump. I rigged up a tie down to keep it in place. Will probably never need it, but the minute I take it out, I will get a flat I'm sure...
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our tires are 275/70 rear and 305/70 front, both 22.5's. The rears are over $500 and the fronts $600 and there's no way I can carry a spare, let alone a mounted one. I 45+ years of RV'ing I have not had ONE instance where having a spare would have made any difference. In fact I've never had a flat tire (other than one caused by a leaking TPMS) on any of my RV's in that time. So, I'll continue to carry Caoch-Net and a cell phone!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I keep my tires clean, check air pressure, cover when camping, and watch for and avoid road hazards when possible.
Ok, I also checked the air pressures before very trip and keep them clean as for avoiding road hazards, have you driven on the roads in Ohio & Pennsylvania in spring after a cold winter? Every road is a hazard! My tires are only 19.5" so im just going to get an un-mounted spare and throw it in my tow car from now on.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I finally just took my mounted spare out of the MH and put it on craigslist.

Gained all that room back.

I've had 2 flats in the past 3 years, both times CoachNet came through for me.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

Wow - this is a wake up call for us. We have the exact same rig (2013 ACE 29.2) purchased around the same time frame, and with similar mileage. Much like you, I plan to get an un-mounted spare when $$$ is available. Hopefully that tax refund will be coming soon.

I'm curious - since you had the free coach.net service, why did you have to pay, and what labor did you have to pay for? If you would have had the un-mounted spare, would they have been able to mount for you without a charge?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I think I might have just learned a lesson from your post.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolland View Post
I'm curious - since you had the free coach.net service, why did you have to pay, and what labor did you have to pay for? If you would have had the un-mounted spare, would they have been able to mount for you without a charge?
Coach net said they only cover the Mileage for the delivery of the tire, I had to pay for the tire and the labor for installation. The Labor charge was less than $50, but what they charged for the tire was more then what it would have cost if I bought my own and had it with me. Also if you had a mounted spare it would have been totally free for them to come out and change.

As for the people saying they have drove 45 years without a flat, I have never had a breakdown or a flat in any vehicle my entire life. This was definitely a wakeup call, I have heard stories of people having to wait a day or 2 till the right tire was available. Like I said, if we would have had our own un-mounted spare it would have been fixed in an hour, not 4! On the other hand I also will be renewing my Coach.Net when it expires, they are VERY nice and helpful!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Check with your insurance company. I have emergency road service on my RV policy and costs very little a year.
Mustanghoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanghoot View Post
Check with your insurance company. I have emergency road service on my RV policy and costs very little a year.
Now that you say that I think I also have that, it was only a few dollars a year. I'll have to check into it, hopefully it will cover tire replacement, even if it just covers labor it will be better than nothing.