Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #155

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We have the 20.2 2013 and the gen is in the far rear under the huge storage bay.I have pictures but haven't figured out how to get them from the desktop to post....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #156

ACE Generator Stops running - CODE 36

Found a couple of pictures online. They appear to have reduced the opening on the drivers side of the mega-storage area. They've added an additional lower compartment door as well. The 1st picture indicates a smaller compartment door on the driver's side as well as the generator exhaust at the bottom. The 2nd pic makes clear there is less room within the storage because they've apparently removed the deep well from the driver's side as well as having extended the smaller shelf to wrap the driver's side inner area of the storage.

Not sure how how optimistic I am about generator overheating for those of us with the earlier edition of this model. It does seem conceivable that the earlier edition could be modified to support a rear generator if it were the only option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-THOR-MOTOR-COACH-ACE-29-2-12086-19792.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	35296   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-THOR-MOTOR-COACH-ACE-29-2-12086-19793.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	35297  

pk-pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #157

Holy cow. How do you service it?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #158

I'm guessing it's in the lower compartment and that's just an access door. I'm supposed to have my heat shield and fuel line wrap installed next week I'm wondering if that is still the recommendation. I would be bummed to lose that storage on the new model.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #159

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am with you Harlee, would hate to loose the rear storage, not to mention how nice it is to have the big doors on either side to get stuff in and out. I think the generator is fine up front, they just needed to shield it.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #160

I guess they've "fixed" the issue.......in the same way amputation fixes a broken toe.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #161

I'm not sure If I would prefer the new over the old? Space lost in mega-storage compared to old for sure. However, a new forward compartment is gained. Overall storage space available may not have changed considerably, but it's clearly now broken into pieces. However, since I have the old, I'm stuck having to deal with that. I've been looking at a way to add "ram air" to the front generator compartment. May take some time this weekend to get it all figured out. Basically I'm thinking a ram air hose arrangement could be added to force cooler air into the gen comprtment by routing a hose from the front grille area along the upper driver-side wheel well (lotsa upper space in there) and thru the the upper mud flap and into the upper gen compartment. Would clearly need to measure before and after compartment temps. If I come up with something I'll pass it along.
pk-pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #162

MHSRV is only a mile from my house, so I ran by and took a look at a new 29.2 with the rear mounted genset. I actually like the layout. Now, if I was a boondocker I don't think I'd enjoy the genny running under the bed, but we use our genset while going down the road, so having it as far away from the driver's area as possible is appealing. The mega storage is still quite generous, and you get another nice sized storage compartment where the genset was. For me, the new layout would work quite well. If the fuel line wrap and heat shield don't cure my genny overheating, I'll be happy to trade Thor straight up for a newer version.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #163

Fleetwood Owners Club
For some reason, my heat shield photos disappeard, so here they are again for those who have requested them.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #164

I got my heat shield installed, very similar to DegoRed, but I extended mine a little more forward and rear, and went down another 5" and bent it in a little iner the genny. Hopefully will keep the generator exhaust pipe heat off the genny. I also wrapped the genny exhaust pipe with header tape, a couple layers. That alone when sitting really keeps the heat out of that area and routes it out the exhaust pipe end.

It's silly stupid we have to do stuff like this to make a simple generator work. I also bought a box (4) of extra spark plugs incase I ever get the plug meltdown like the one guy pictured. I'll see if the stuff I have done works this weekend, have a trip planned out in the desert.

Thanks to all the good ideas on this site, teamwork!

Hermosa
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #165

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hermosa, did it work out pretty much as I described, or was my directions off? Did you find it a simple job or a real PIA?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Hermosa, did it work out pretty much as I described, or was my directions off? Did you find it a simple job or a real PIA?
It was exactly as you described, thanks for all your help and photos, very helpful. Not that hard and didn't take that much time. The first trip under the coach you figure out what you need, and get your measurements, and go from there. I'm glad I did it, and hope it works. Was supposed to take a trip this weekend, but it got pushed out a week due to work things.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #167

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a couple of minor warranty issues to be fixed and while my RV tech (ASAPMobile Rv Repair) was on the phone with Thor I mentioned about the generator issue. At first the person didn't know a thing about it but I mentioned code 36 and the design change on the 2013's.He said just a mintue and put me on hold. When he came back on line guess what, the repair kit was going to be shipped free of charge. Well it arrived today and as someone else said not an instruction to be found nor any bolts. Moonshine 94 your pictures made the tech's job very easy, as soon as he saw them he said now I know what they are doing. The job was easy from then on. He did advise to put self sticking heat sheild on the door as an extra measure and also said that the heat wrap on the exhaust pipe couldn't hurt. If any one still has not gotten the kit call Thor and ask. I do not know if was because a repair rep called but they were very pleasent and sent the kit right out. Now if they send the part for the other repair life will be good.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #168

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
By the way if you are going to do the job yourself you may have to remove a junction box for the 110 as it rght smack dab in the middle of where you need to work. After the sheild is in place it can go right back up.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator