Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
Moonshine 94 your pictures made the tech's job very easy, as soon as he saw them he said now I know what they are doing. The job was easy from then on.
Happy to be of service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #170

My heat shield didn't help, 25 minutes into our trip, the genny kicked off. What a piece of **** this setup is. Thor has no idea what to do, and the hot summer is around the corner. Screwed.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #171

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosa View Post
My heat shield didn't help, 25 minutes into our trip, the genny kicked off. What a piece of **** this setup is. Thor has no idea what to do, and the hot summer is around the corner. Screwed.

Only 25 minutes? What was the outside temp?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #172

it was only about 70 outside, but pulling a couple big grades to Park City. Junk!

My friend laughs at me with his 10 year old Bounder, not an ounce of trouble with his rig. Seriously thinking of trading this thing off, the reason I bought new was so I wouldn't have to deal with all the issues that may come with used.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #173

I'm probably nuts, but should heat shield wrap be installed w/plastic zip ties? I'm thinking safety wire or hose clamp (loose-ish), or something that won't melt. Just my $.02
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #174

New member to the "I've got a Generator Problem" club. Had the genny and engine running in 95 degree weather last Saturday in the Tucson area. After about 1 1/2 hours the generator stopped. When we opened the door we could see the inside coating on the door was bubbling. After a couple of hours the door smoothed out again. What a pain. Got a call into Thor.
We had a 1996 Covington prior to this. The generator was in almost the same spot - right behind the drivers seat. We never had a problem with the generator. However, the big difference was the size of the compartment. It was much larger allowing a better flow of air all around the gen set.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #175

Just got off the phone with the dealer. Thor is sending them the heat wrap solution AND a new generator door with vents. Probably similar to what they sent sscarp in post #68. Hope it gets here soon. We are headed to Texas in June for a month.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Thor is sending them the heat wrap solution AND a new generator door with vents. Probably similar to what they sent sscarp in post #68. Hope it gets here soon. We are headed to Texas in June for a month.
Is your door vented door going to be painted, or will they pay to have that done. This really sucks. I'm waiting for Thor to get back to me, the person I talked to was recovering form a head injury, and had to find another person to answer my basic questions. Pathetic.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #177

Hermosa, not sure if it will be painted. I sure hope so! My rig is the same color as my avatar, would suck if it comes in white! (but won't be surprised). According to Thor they will send the fixes -- but it isn't a known problem!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #178

Lisa W,
Question......is your generator in the second bay back on the drivers side? I ask because the layout of the storage compartments on our 30.1 is different than the one we looked at when we ordered ours. My batteries are in the first bay on the drivers side.
We ran the Genny 3 hours each way this weekend. 93 degrees one day, 91 the next. 8.5 hrs of runtime so far.
I wonder if this is more of an Onan issue as opposed to a "placement" issue?
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #179

Quote:
Question......is your generator in the second bay back on the drivers side? I ask because the layout of the storage compartments on our 30.1 is different than the one we looked at when we ordered ours. My batteries are in the first bay on the drivers side.
Nope, our Generator is in the first bay on the driver's side, the batteries are in the first bay on the passenger side. Our ACE was built in October of 2012. What is the build date on yours. I know they moved the generator on the 29.1 from the front compartment to the rear of the coach. Looks like they also moved it back on the 30.1.
I really think it is a placement issue and not an Onan issue.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #180

Funny call with Thor yesterday, the lady I talked with said she had never heard of the heat problem with the generator on the ACE. I informed her about Google and how it works, and tht she can search such things tht are out there on the magical internet. I gave her a homework assignment, and key words to search with so she can do a little checking and research, talk to her engineers and be prepared to talk to me on Friday.

I feel like this is going nowhere fast.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #181

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
See post 167
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #182

Thor Owners Club
Every time someone calls Thor about this issue, they continue to act like they don't know about it. Same thing last summer.

Tags
generator