Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #197

I'd like to hear what the engineer says first, but I'm not too far from being ready to commit some $$ to a class action attorney.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #198

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
I'd like to hear what the engineer says first, but I'm not too far from being ready to commit some $$ to a class action attorney.
Not saying we should jump the gun, but we should be prepared. What's to say that owner 1 gets a fix but owner 2 does not. Will Scott Harris from Thor recognize anyone other than the two he has been in direct contact with. Just playing the "Devils" advocate.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
Not saying we should jump the gun, but we should be prepared. What's to say that owner 1 gets a fix but owner 2 does not. Will Scott Harris from Thor recognize anyone other than the two he has been in direct contact with. Just playing the "Devils" advocate.
Scott Harris is who I talked to last summer when this problem became apparent in my ACE. He (Thor) supplied the heat shield and fuel line wrap that were installed by the dealer per their directions. If it doesn't work then I'll feel like I've given them over a year to correct the issue.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #200

I'd be willing to go in on the class action. This is totally ridiculous, why was my dealer told that they would be sending the heat shield AND the vented door if a decision has been made that the door doesn't work?
Thor knows there is a problem, otherwise why would they change the location of the generator, batteries and propane tank in the middle of the model year?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #201

Oh, does anyone that has Scott Harris' number at Thor mind posting it, so the rest of us can call?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #202

Summer time again

Taking the ACE up to Ohio in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see if my MODS hold up another season. First thing to do is change the oil and spark plug before my trip. I will post results on this thread.

I bought a temp probe to monitor the heat in the compartment I built. It does NOT log, but I can have my son watch it while we barrel down the highway with the AC blasting.

My phone also has a new app that measures sound DB. Currently, it sits at 79DB with the radio off, driving 70mph, and the generator and AC on. This was taken from the drivers seat. I am going to put more Dynamat under the coach to drop the noise level.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #203

Count me in for class action. Who else?
sscarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #204

If you are interested in joining a class action lawsuit please email me

sscarp@ameritech.net
sscarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #205

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scott Harris @ Thor has now called me twice this morning.

The engineer guy was able to come up with a solution. Thor is convinced that the fuel is vaporizing due to the heat. Not sure I agree with this, but either way Thor appears to be working on this.

Thor's solution is to put a fuel cooler in to cool the fuel down prior to entering the generator. Thor will overnight me all the necessary parts required to make this repair.

I am very suspicious with this repair solution, but then again I am not fuel guru. Scott seems to be a drag racer guy, as he said they do this all the time in top fuel dragsters as a solution.

Thor does not think adding a oil cooler will help, their thoughts are that the generator is designed to run with hot oil, and by reducing the oil temp, that will not significantly reduce the overall temp of the generator. Also, with the amount of heat being dumped on the generator, they are not certain they could cool the oil down enough to keep up/ be effective.

My thought is that by adding a fuel cooler, that may help, however, where the fuel enters the generator is very close to the engine & exhaust. This would dictate the the cooler will need to be basically mounted to the generator right where it enters the generator; however just like the oil cooler problem, being that close the engine & exhaust there will be a bunch of heat dumping onto this cooler. Just not sure the cooler can reduce the temperature enough to be effective. Guess we will see.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #206

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scott Harris number is the main number 877.855.2867, his email is sharris@tmcrv.com
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #207

Thor Owners Club
DegoRed, would you post what this 'fuel cooler' consists of? Pictures maybe.
I had Thor's (last summer) fix installed: fuel line insulation, sheet metal heat shield & ventilated door (HaRVey's not painted). I haven't been in really hot conditions, as many of you have, since its installation--I don't know if it's effective.
Thanks, Harry
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #208

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will do Harry. I know that all the parts are coming from O, O, O, O'Rielly, Auto Parts, Scott said he was driving down there himself with this engineer guy to go buy the parts, then into FedEx.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #209

Thanks for the update, DegoRed. Will be waiting to see what happens.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #210

interesting.... hope this fixes it.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator