Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #211

I'm following this thread and waiting to see what the so-called "engineer" comes up with. Rube Goldberg concoction of parts from O 'Reilly's sounds suspiciously like the manufacturer is attempting to do this bandaid fix on the cheap. In play here is a serious safety issue of the genset causing a fire.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #212

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are the parts Thor is says are needed:

1- # 0247630 Adapter, 3/8" MPT x 1/4", Hose Barb, Brass, Straight -------------- QTY 2
2- # 0187385 Generator Fuel Line, Brass Adapter,3/8" Hose To 3/8" Pipe---------- QTY 1
3- # 0187386 Generator Fuel Line, Brass Adapter, 1/4" Hose To 3/8" Pipe---------- QTY 1
4- # 403 Transmission cooler Purchased on 6/4 From O'reilly's for $ 39.68
Link to transmission cooler

Scott could not put his hands on the all the brass fitting, he asked if I could pick them up. So basically, Thor is sending me the oil cooler I linked up, and I will go figure out the fittings once I get the cooler. Scott offered to reimburse me for any parts that I had to purchase.

IF i was buying a cooler, not sure I would buy the one that Thor is sending me, think I would buy one with a 12 volt fan attached to the top of the fan.

Also to follow up, when Scott called me, he said they did one of these "just the other day" where this engineer guy, went down to Arkansas and did this same install on a 29.2.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #213

OK, I was willing to give Thor/Harris another chance, but I'm going to have to go with Moonrover on this. This is not sounding like an engineered, tested solution, but more like a half arsed hey let's try this and see if that'll shut them up type deal.

Running fuel through a trans cooler.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #214

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The link takes you to a transmission oil cooler. I will admit I know nothing about how the mechanics of the genset work and I may be missing something but wasn't it said that the genset was made to have hot oil running through it. What does this have to do with the gas evaporating?
Is eveyone going to e-mail and or call Scott Harris?
We are leaving on Thurs for a short trip and will test out the heat sheild part, it is currently 102* so the heat part will be present as these temps will continue. We will be on mostly flat highways so no grades.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #215

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sold my ACE 29.1 a while ago so I no longer directly have skin in this game. However, I have to ask if Thor are seriously recommending running gasoline through a cooler designed for oil? And before this, the heatshield and the vented door attempts at a solution sound like a series of bandaids to me. They have redesigned the 2014's to move the generator further away from the engine. This would have involved substantial design and retooling work which tells me they accept the overheating as a real problem. So, I wonder what it would take (other than a visit to Elkhart) for them to relocate the generator in an existing coach? It would probably take the class action lawsuit to get them to move on this.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #216

Fleetwood Owners Club
Judy, at 102 degrees, I would be shocked if you made it 30 miles down the road without your generator shutting off.

I am 100% with yall on this fix. Am I going to try it, sure, however my expectations are very low.

Judy as to your other statement, i was going to write up an explanation, but Wiki had a better explanation than what I was going to offer.

"Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.
It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult."

Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #217

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bruce, you are correct.

I was looking at this the other day when I was under the MH, for the life of me, I am not sure why Thor put the generator where they did. Moving the generator down 2 or 3 bays towards the rear would reduce the heat, and make it closer to the fuel tank, closer to the electrical panel/inverter. There is plenty of room to do so. I think Thor really just did not think it through, and never really thought about it until they started getting complaints.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #218

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a Thor. Last year we had a Holiday Rambler with a 5500 Onan that had the same issue. That issue, I assume, is fuel starvation from vapor lock.

I have no issue running gas through a transmission cooler in terms of safety, it's just more steel line. However, having it actually cool fuel is very suspect (in my opinion). It works well for transmission fluid because that fluid heated well above ambient temperature and the fins can exchange the heat. Adding addition line and then trying to pass that fuel through ambient temperatures of 90-120 degrees F?
What do they think is going to happen when the coach is not moving?
Maybe I'm missing something here... Like a fan?

On our HR we did three things:
1) Replace the fuel pump. Obviously not an issue on the newer Thor.
2) Insulate the fuel lines with heater hose.
3) Insulate the fuel pump with a reflective header wrap (made for turbos).

Beyond that, I think I'd be looking at pulling cool air into that compartment from the outside (radiator fan, electric).

Onan is pretty specific about the requirements for mouting a genset. If Thor didn't follow those recommendations, that's bad.. I don't see getting around moving more air in that compartment.

I've owned vehicles with fuel coolers. Namely high performance boats. They were cooled by inlet water temperatures, not air...

Another solution might be a recirculating fuel system for the genset.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #219

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did E-mail Scott Harris and requested a reply. We'll see. I wanted to make sure that Thor knows that "we" (the royal we) are watching and expect a fix to this problem.
Dego Red thanks for the explainations.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #220

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just fixed code 36 on my onan,turned out to be fuel pump bad. would run 30 mins. then start "hunting" like a lawnmoer running out of gas. went advance auto got a new pump and she runs good now
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #221

I'll have to admit, I haven't called Thor yet this week... been buys looking for my replacement coach. Does anyone think it's a fuel pressure issue? I seem to have trouble climbing grades, the genny peters out. I do think there is a heat issue too, but what about that loooong fuel line running to the front, and climbing a grade? Hmmm....
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #222

Dego,
After doing the parts shopping for Thor are you also expected to figure out how/where to mount the trans cooler, or did they give you some instruction? Seems to me that if the engineer went to Arkansas "just the other day" to do one of these perhaps he could make a trip to Austin to install yours. And if you're happy he can swing through Ft. Worth on his way back north to do mine. I even have an O'Reilly close by.

Hermosa, the F53 chassis is a pretty proven design. If you're having trouble climbing grades due to fuel starvation for the engine I think you're having a problem unrelated to the genset overheating/vapor lock.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #223

I've also done the wrap and shield but haven't hit the heat yet. I probably wont get into that until July. I'm over my one year now but I think Thor owns this issue till its resolved, however I don't want to be a test subject for some fancy fuel line routing and cooler. I don't have any solution but I keep hoping they figure this out, this is stupid.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #224

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
What do they think is going to happen when the coach is not moving?
Maybe I'm missing something here... Like a fan?
My thoughts exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
just fixed code 36 on my onan,turned out to be fuel pump bad.
I was thinking this could be an issue as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
After doing the parts shopping for Thor are you also expected to figure out how/where to mount the trans cooler, or did they give you some instruction?
When I asked about some instructions, Scott told me they had none, he said, "once you get the parts, it should be pretty self expanitory, if you have any questions, just call me." My problem with this, is when I go to work on this, it will either be in the evening when I get home from work or this weekend. Doubtful Scott will give me his cell and tell me to just call h im anytime. Good thing I am an above average mechanic, so I am sure I can figure it out.

Tags
generator