Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #239

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
I can't help but wonder if Onan is aware of this and what their thoughts would be on Thor's proposed "solution".
As I said before, I'm not affected since I sold my ACE. If I was still in the game I would want Thor to provide me with:

1. Written confirmation that Onan approves the fix.

2. Written confirmation from the US Department of Transportation that they approve mounting a gasoline filled oil cooler at the first point of impact in a collision.

I think Thor needs to step up and pay for having the generator moved to the new location they use for the 2014's. That is the permananent solution, move the generator away from the heat source instead of bandaiding around the issue.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Bravo!

Logic and common sense all in one package.

Yea, I'm not convinced it's a fuel heat issue. A good test would be to mount a temporary 2 gallon gas can up front somehow, and run a fuel line from there to the genny. Then you could run the genny while on the road to see if you have the same problem. If I had a freaking week to play with this, I would have it figured out.... but I don't have that kind of time.

How much fuel does the genny burn per hour? Hmmm...
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #241

I called Onan. They took my info and said they would locate the right person for me to talk to and get back to me. I briefly outlined the issue to the man I spoke to and he seemed to think that was something Onan would at least want to be aware of.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #242

Latest fix doesn't work

We just had Thor's latest fix installed. Didn't take half an hour before the generator stopped! Fix is same as post 232.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #243

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
We just had Thor's latest fix installed. Didn't take half an hour before the generator stopped! Fix is same as post 232.
Can anyone spell Lawsuit?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #244

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
i don't have a thor product. but has anyone with the same problem ya'll are having tried replacing the fuel pump? my 5500 would stop with code 36 but ran good in cool weather,but as soon as spring came and temps got in high 70's low 80's it would stop around 20 to 30 mins or so and replacing the pump fixed mine. the pump would seize up after getting warm. here is link to pump i got and if you search online you can find coupon codes to get it cheaper. it might be worth a try for folks to see if that will help your problem.Buy Airtex Electric Fuel Pump E8012S at Advance Auto Parts
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
I called Onan. They took my info and said they would locate the right person for me to talk to and get back to me. I briefly outlined the issue to the man I spoke to and he seemed to think that was something Onan would at least want to be aware of.
Please keep us informed. I'm not crazy about having gas flowing in front of my radiator.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #246

Quote:
Please keep us informed. I'm not crazy about having gas flowing in front of my radiator.
Will do. Didn't hear back on Friday. I'll give them until Wednesday and then try them again.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #247

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thought I would report back in on this fuel cooler boondogle.

Thor must be the most inapt company around or they just look to hire all the inapt people they can find. Have several observations while working on this so called fix. My guess while working on this is that we are not talking about a very big difference in heat form its all good to its not all good. I am betting a few degress is the difference.

First, everyone should get under their rig and see where the fuel line is currently run. Mine was run on the inside of the C channel beam. By putting the fuel line on this inside of the C channel it puts your fuel line where it has virtually no protectin from the heat of the exhasut pipe. By moving the fuel line to the outside of the C channel, and to the top, up agaist the subfloor, this will put your fuel line in a quassi shield spot, using the C channel as a shiled, to help reduce the heat coming off the exhaust pipe.

On my fuel line, there was a splice in the fuel line right above the rear axle. Here is where I started on my repairs. Undid the splice to seperate the two sections of fuel line. Not sure if their was originally a splice here or if this splice was a result of the first fix installing the heat shield that Thor gave me the first go around.

While laying on my back, staring up at this fuel line, trying to determine the best routing, it came to me. We are trying to reduce the heat on this fuel line, and what is the best way to shield this fuel line. Came up with an idea, not sure if it helps one bit, however, if we try to create layers of protection for this fuel line, it will by default reduce the heat. Each layer of protection, will shield the line. In order to do accomplish this, decided to run the fuel line, inside of something, with the heat shield outside of that, esentially creating 3 layers of protection.

After a trip to auto parts store, and then to Home Depot, came up with the ideal thing, Smurf Tube (its a blue flexible electrical conduit). Also, Seal Tight flexible conduit would work too, it was just more expensive. Ended up buying a 100' roll of Smurf Tube for $35.

Ran the Smurf Tube, from rear axle all the way to front of MH. With Smurf Tube ran, then slide the silver Thor provided heat shield over the outside of the Smurf Tube. If I had to do all over again, would put the silver heat shield on the Smurf Tube prior to running the Smurf Tube, would save you about 10 minutes and a lot of swearing. At this point, the Smurf Tube with silver heat shield is not secured to anything, its just kind of loose, don't secure just yet as you will need to adjust things.

Then ran the Thor provide new fuel line in the Smurf Tube, did this from rear to front. Once the fuel line is pulled through, connected the the fuel line at the rear splice.

On to the front of the MH. This cooler that Thor sent me is a complet PoS. Will it work, probably, but what a cheap PoS. The attachement method that the cooler comes with leaves very few locations to attach it. It has these zip ties that you slide through your existing radiator the into your new cooler. Problem is there is very little room available to get to the back of your existing radiator, and only one loaction where you can access the back of your existing radiator.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #248

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is where Thor's inaptness really shines. If running the fuel line on the inside of the C channel was not enough to convince you, this surely will. This PoS cooler that Thor send you has 3/8" nipples that the fuel line slides over, however the fuel line that Thor sends you is 1/4", which will not slide over the 3/8" nipple, even with lube, this ain't happening, trust me.

So what Thor did was they also sent a little piece of 3/8" fuel line and some 3/8" to 1/4" plastic coupling/splice piece. So what you end up with a small piece of 3/8" tubing attached to the 1/4" tubing. Now if this is hard to follow, see the picture, because a picture speaks a 1000 words.

Here is my problem with this, we now have created 6 potential spots for fuel to leak from in lieu of 2. If you look back at my post #228, the cooler I found has threaded conections, with a threaded barb fiting that would attach to the cooler. This is what really needs to happen, not this 6 hose clamps mess.

Was not able to run the line from the cooler back to the generator yet, Thor did not send enough heat shield to do this. Tried to buy some at two Auto Parts stores, both told me that do not sell this. Is what blows me away, is that Thor sent me X amount of feet of fuel line, why would they not send the exact same quatity of heat shield? The exhast pipe runs all the way to the rear axle, so its simple math, how many feet from rear axle to front, then how many feet from front to generator, send this many feet + couple extra. Why Thor would not send enough baffles me. It will cost them more in FedEx fee's than what the heat shield costs. Oh well.

Once I get the additional heat shield, will report back on the how the rest of the install goes.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #249

I just purchased a 2014 ACE 29.2 with the generator in the back of the coach. When we did the walk through the generator started and shut off after a few minutes and wouldn't start again. After about ten minutes the tech started it and it ran for an hour no problem. Said air in the line. Turned it off signed papers took delivery generator started no problem and ran for 5 hours no problem. This morning wouldn't start. Tried 30 mins later. started and ran for 3 hours no problem. cut it off to go shopping came back 1 hour later won't start. Have tried several times since noon today and won't start. 3 6 code. Anybody have any ideas?
Forsbergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #250

Workhorse Chassis Owner
take it back and let the dealer fix it
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #251

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
take it back and let the dealer fix it
X 2. It's under warranty, insist that the dealer take
care of it.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #252

I hear a lot of problems with the generators on the Thor Ace 29.2 overheating and the problem can't seem to be fixed because of its location close to the engine compartment. I have a 2014 with the gen in the back. I'm going to take it back of course but do my symptoms sound familiar to someone that may have experienced the same issue and had it fixed.
Forsbergm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator