Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
Thorchini, thank you for your insight. someone earlier mentioned trying this to see if it would work and it sounds like you have proved that. I don't like the thought of having to fill that fuel cell separately. But it proves that its too hot for the long run and small fuel line we have, or the tank is to far away, and proves that in the current location the generator can handle the heat and run. I see many possible fixes to this, so we'll have to see what the "smart" folks at thor come up with. thanks again..
I agree the generator does not need to be moved and I also agree with Thorchini, moveing the generator is not an option. I just orderd two 36" sections of 1/2" heat shield from Summit Racing and an in line 3-5 psi low pressure fuel pump from Amazon. I plan to instsll the pump near the gas tank where I can access the existing fuel line with its own switch and fuse directly from the panel under the bed. I also plan on insalling the heat shield on the first 6ft of fuel line back ftom the generator. Next I'm otdering a vented door and I think that should do it. I can't wait for Thor to get off thier back sides and fix it for me.

I think Thor should read this thead, anybody know the customer service managers email?
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randog View Post
I agree the generator does not need to be moved and I also agree with Thorchini, moveing the generator is not an option. I just orderd two 36" sections of 1/2" heat shield from Summit Racing and an in line 3-5 psi low pressure fuel pump from Amazon. I plan to instsll the pump near the gas tank where I can access the existing fuel line with its own switch and fuse directly from the panel under the bed. I also plan on insalling the heat shield on the first 6ft of fuel line back ftom the generator. Next I'm otdering a vented door and I think that should do it. I can't wait for Thor to get off thier back sides and fix it for me.

I think Thor should read this thead, anybody know the customer service managers email?
They are reading it, just surprised the are sitting without responding. My dealer has been all over them, and it's the same "we are working on it" answer. I found that we were passing up using the RV cause it was too hot and we were finding other things to do, so I had to handle it myself.

Also, filling the fuel cell is easy, just pull up to an island that has two sets of pumps. Full the big tank in the rear with one, and the one closer for the generator. A small price to pay for the thing to work. The cell I have is filled with foam, so I can't get 18 gallons in it, I just leave it at 10 gallons and could fill it to 15 if needed, but I don't need that much. The foam keeps the fuel from sloshing around.

I think there are a handful of fixes as long as you can focus on getting more fuel to the generator even if you have to push it with another pump.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #507

Fleetwood Owners Club
There already is a "factory" splice in the fuel line where it goes from 3/8" line to 1/4" fuel line, its just above the rear axle. If you wanted to tap in, that would be where I would do it. There is also plenty of power at this location to tap into. Would be easy to add a fuel pump at this location, then run new 3/8" fuel line to the generator, then just adapt it back down to 1/4" where it enters the generator.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #508

Mine worked perfect this past weekend after insulating the fuel line, but didn't run the generator on my last trip as long as possibly needed, so can't verify absolutely.

I really wonder about the statement however about a larger fuel line needed. Bigger diameter fuel line means slower velocity flow and longer sitting in the fuel line instead of just saying it would take longer to heat the fuel. Smaller fuel line would mean higher velocity in the fuel line and less likely of over heating fuel. Not to sure to be absolute, but could hurt more than help. Smaller fuel lies men fresh cooler fuel traveling through fuel line dspacing or offsetting heat problem. Just a concern!
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #509

About a month ago, or ten pages back. One of the owners that sold his unit said the new owner took out the Onan and replaced with a Honda, no issues after that. Why are you guys going through all this aggravation dealing with Thor, just replace the Onan with a new unit and be done with it.

There is no way I would have put up with the crap Thor is giving you, I have no patience, and I know what good customer service is, and this isn't remotely close. If you like the coach then i'd fix myself the tell Thor to jump off a cliff...
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
There already is a "factory" splice in the fuel line where it goes from 3/8" line to 1/4" fuel line, its just above the rear axle. If you wanted to tap in, that would be where I would do it. There is also plenty of power at this location to tap into. Would be easy to add a fuel pump at this location, then run new 3/8" fuel line to the generator, then just adapt it back down to 1/4" where it enters the generator.
That's exactly where I'm going to do it but I'm going to install a lighted shutoff switch up next to the co2 detector so I can kill it if need be.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #511

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
About a month ago, or ten pages back. One of the owners that sold his unit said the new owner took out the Onan and replaced with a Honda, no issues after that. Why are you guys going through all this aggravation dealing with Thor, just replace the Onan with a new unit and be done with it.

There is no way I would have put up with the crap Thor is giving you, I have no patience, and I know what good customer service is, and this isn't remotely close. If you like the coach then i'd fix myself the tell Thor to jump off a cliff...
I'm there Brother, these guys suck. I can't even find anybody to work on under warrantee! I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warrantee... Its cheaper to work on it myself!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #512

Quote:
I'm there Brother, these guys suck. I can't even find anybody to work on under warrantee! I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warrantee... Its cheaper to work on it myself!
Exactly, I have found the dealer network to be very poor. All of them are playing the "We can only service you if you bough it here" card. When I have complained to Thor, they admitted they can't control their dealers. I like the RV, but given my choice on my next RV, I would not even consider Thor after dealing with them on this rig. It's too bad for them, word of mouth is killing them. Evertime someone comes up and says "nice looking rig", they get an earfull about Thor. Just amazed you can run a company this way. I guess they assume none of us talk.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #513

It's too bad that Thor can't fix their quality control and warrantee problems, it's a nice Looling and well laid out RV.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #514

Quote:
That's exactly where I'm going to do it but I'm going to install a lighted shutoff switch up next to the co2 detector so I can kill it if need be.
Just wondering why wouldn't you run a wire from current pump to the new pump for power since their is already fuel pump wiring at the old pump in casing. Should be an easy to do? Shutodd switch may not be ad as an add on, but seems like using current setup would work oit great, since it powers with the generator switch. Just curious?
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #515

Well I don't know why, too much wire I suppose. I think it would be important to be able to turn the second pump off if not traveling. Besides the power source is right there.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #516

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well I don't know why, too much wire I suppose. I think it would be important to be able to turn the second pump off if not traveling. Besides the power source is right there.
With no power to the secondary pump, would fuel still flow through it?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #517

Good thinking, maybe your right I shall hard wire it thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #518

Just got back from a weekend trip. Fired the generator up on Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm and never shut it off until Sunday at 6:30 pm. Ran fine all weekend.

Temps on the road were around 97 degrees according to the display on the dashboard.

Heat was pouring out of that vented door to the point where the rain on the asphalt pad was drying up quicker than everywhere else!

I definitely need more Dynamat to kill off the generator noise.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator