Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
I've been following this thread since July, when I purchased a new 2014 Thor A.C.E. 30.1, and began almost immediately experiencing the generator issues. I've been in communication with Thor's Warranty Services since August 2nd. My coach has been in the shop since August 23 (6 weeks), for the generator issues, slide out issues, awning problems, and 14 more issues, most minor. Just want to let everyone know that Thor is covering all of the following repairs/modifications to my ACE:
- electric push pump with dash switch
- cut generator bay door and added vent with seal at generator air intake
- heat shield around full perimeter of generator bay
- heat shield around fuel line from tank to generator

These are all modifications that I read about in these forums, on this thread. Regardless of the model (29.2; 30.1, etc.), Thor is more than aware of the issue, but hasn't, in 3 model years, made any design changes. DON'T make these repairs at your own expense. Thor can and will pay for them. Don't have my coach back as of now, so not sure of whether the mods will work, but based on what I've read here, they should. Unfortunately, I had to point my Warranty Rep to this forum to explain what I was describing as my desired fix. Many thanks to all those who posted their successful mods so that we "newbies" (to ACE, anyway) could follow suit.
Really> Why wait for 2 months + having it fixed? (if your lucky)
It's a one day fix! Fleetwood sent me the parts and allowed me to fix it myself. A heat shield and sealed vent door will fix over 90% of the overheating IMO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #814

Thor Owners Club
The primary reason I didn't elect to make the changes myself is that I only had the coach one day before things started going south. Second, I initially got the same response from Thor (not Fleetwood) that Don and Dale got; nothing they can, it's an Onan problem. I sent pictures and posts from this thread to Thor, with my NHTSA complaint, BBB complaint, and my promise to file a federal Lemon Law case. That got their attention. The reason it took so long to get the coach in is that there are two authorized repair centers here; neither of which had available appointments until September or October. Thor elected to get the coach into a non-authorized center sooner as I had a list of 17 things that needed repair. That center has been making repairs under the guidance of Thor techs. I had no intention of making my own repairs to a coach I'd been able to use only 10 days. Thor never offered to send the parts to repair any of the items. Lastly, I'm almost 65 years old, and partially disabled. Not all of us on here are young bucks who can do the things we did in our 20's, 30's, and 40's.
rvpapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #815

Thor Owners Club
RV pawpaw, right with you

I am currently trying to sell my 2013 29.1 THOR, and No One will touch it. A buyer beware should be attached to these units. My unit sat in the shop almost eight months, and was then aggravated by the fact the service company didn't winterize it in a timely manner, so had damage from that as well when it was returned. I have had a journey from hell, and although Phil Houser has been very nice (THOR) we couldn't be any more upset today as we have been in this nightmare experience. The last comment I was given about THOR is it drops $2000 a month in value due to all the error and malfunction issues encountered. Every time we believe we have fixed something, another thing arises. In the end I will be paying someone to take it, and still owe the balance of the financing debt. Be aware that the six months they have "kept it for repairs" is taken off of your warranty time, and then lemon law timeframes are diminished or eradicated, as is what happened to me. Of course, Washington state has a pathetic protection through the lemon law for motorhomes, only covers chassis. Good luck, but after over two years now of nightmares, in the end I have a good looking unit that is nothing but a lemon according to most....
lindamayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
The primary reason I didn't elect to make the changes myself is that I only had the coach one day before things started going south. Second, I initially got the same response from Thor (not Fleetwood) that Don and Dale got; nothing they can, it's an Onan problem. I sent pictures and posts from this thread to Thor, with my NHTSA complaint, BBB complaint, and my promise to file a federal Lemon Law case. That got their attention. The reason it took so long to get the coach in is that there are two authorized repair centers here; neither of which had available appointments until September or October. Thor elected to get the coach into a non-authorized center sooner as I had a list of 17 things that needed repair. That center has been making repairs under the guidance of Thor techs. I had no intention of making my own repairs to a coach I'd been able to use only 10 days. Thor never offered to send the parts to repair any of the items. Lastly, I'm almost 65 years old, and partially disabled. Not all of us on here are young bucks who can do the things we did in our 20's, 30's, and 40's.
You are 5 years older than me you are way old! Fleetwood never offered the parts to me. I requested them and gave them a reason to allow me to perform the work myself.
I hope you get things fixed soon.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #817

Thor Owners Club
Kinda agent; go federal.find an attorney through your state bar association, as I did. Magnusson-Moss federal lemon law. Document EVERYTHING you've been through. As long as you win your case, which you should, you"lol pay no attorney fees. Thor will have to pay all of that. File a complaint with Northern Indiana BBB, where Thor has its headquarters. File a complaint with NHTSA. Send copies of everything you do to your Thor rep. Worked for me.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #818

I did notice yesterday that Thor did in fact move the generator location in the 2015 30.1 from the location in the 2013.
The batteries are now behind the wheel well and then the generator is where the propane tank was.
I also like having the propane tank on the curb side as it makes it more convenient for hooking up a grill.
Knock on wood, we have yet to ave a problem with our generator.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #819

Thor Owners Club
EricGT; although the generator has been moved from its previous location, I wasn't 3 hours out from my point of purchase of my 2014 30.1 when the generator stopped. I didn't know, at the time, that the generator overheating was an issue on these coaches. So, after getting back home to Nevada, and after having multiple coach system problems, some minor, others not so minor, my coach was in the shop for over 7 weeks, having warranty issues resolved. I just got it back last Friday.

Thor, at my recommendation, heat shielded the generator, installed a booted vent in the door at the generator air intake, and installed a switched push pump on the fuel line. They also repaired the living area slide room, the bedroom slide room, new motor on the awning, reinforced the storage compartments ( bottoms fell out within the first day on 4 of the compartments due to not being secured properly at the factory), fixed the rattling side windows, repaired an overhead storage door in the bedroom that fell off, repaired exterior slide room seal that had separated from the coach, and a few other odds and ends.

If you haven't had generator or other issues on your 2015, you're one of few.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #820

I guess I better play the lottery!

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #821

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just thought I would ask if anyone has any problems with the push pump since it was first introduced as the solution last year? Does it really fix the "36" cut-off of the generator?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Just thought I would ask if anyone has any problems with the push pump since it was first introduced as the solution last year? Does it really fix the "36" cut-off of the generator?
Ours did not shut down after the pump was installed. However, it still was getting extremely hot. We ended up having a "horn", "sleeve" whatever made and installed on the grill that was placed in the door early on. This makes the generator grab air from outside the rig and not the hot air traveling under the rig from the engine compartment and the generator exhaust. Seems to keep it much cooler now.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 AM   #823

I have had the problem but a heat shield fixed it mostly. However the other day It would not start after running for over a day in 70 deg temps. Tried running in the chilly morning and nothing. The gas tank was around half full ?? I thought the cut off was 1/4? The led would flash three times during failed attempts. Just annoyed. I haven't read manual yet but thought I'd post first.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #824

Info on Genny

I have a 2013 27 ft ACE and had the same problem with the generator turning off while driving in 80 degree weather going from So Cal to Utah while running the AC. I see that it appears to be a problem that many have had and many different fixes. The question is do you have a point of contact at Thor or Onan and Challenger for the door modifications. My 2 yr warrantee is out in a few months Thks for the help
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #825

Thor Owners Club
Phil Houser is a pleasant person to work with.
lindamayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #826

Generator

Who is Phil Houser and how do I contact him. What is the final solution to this problem and what will Thor cover. Is it the push pump, the louvered door, the heat shield or all of the above
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator