Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
There are a couple of different methods to tie in the pump listed on this thread. Some hard wire it to a switch. Others parallel it with the existing pump on the generator. I chose the latter as it does't add any appreciable noise and running all the time that the generator is on does not hurt.
So you didn't have any issues running 2 pumps off the same wire? Did you connect/wire the secondary push-pump off the same pos. power wire from the existing pump?
I'm in the process of installing a second fuel pump near the gas tank. I replaced the oem pump inside the gen. but still have the vapor lock problem when outside temps go in the upper 90's.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #856

Just so you know. I have the 2013 27 ft ACE and had the same problem. Thet were good enough to move the genny to the last cubby on the passenger side as a fix and they paid for everything.
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #857

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
Hey all!

Just bought a new Thor Ace 30.1 2015 On Aug 1 . First day of pick up

we loaded up the kids to let them check it out at the near by park

had the generator running for no more than 2 hours with a/c unit running to keep it cool in 98 degree weather and it shut down on us. The issues we took it to the dealer they could not repeated the problem with the generator so they sent us away. Right after getting home from picking it back up

the generator running for an hour in 100 degree weather shuts down again unable to restart gen . The next day we take it back to dealer in the late afternoon once it's getting in the high 90's . We start the gen let it run in the heat for about two hours and it shuts down just like we predicted. Time to get in the ace right away and drive down to dealer to prove that I not crazy and this "ace" has a problem. After leaving it there for a day the call me saying they think its the placement of the gen. It's almost flush with the compartment door. So they move it back 3 inches back for better air flow and they said something about vapor lock. Picked up the "ace" 2 days later as we are having a camping trip the following day. Started the gen the morning of and ran great after fully packed and ready to go the gen shuts down again!! Back to dealer after we got back from our short camping trip. Now it's with the dealer as I've told them what I've seen here post by other Ace owners dating back the last few years and how they have fixed the issues so their putting a vent on the compartment door to help the gen with air flow. Picking it up next week will follow up with pictures of the vent installed and the dealer is picking up the total cost .

Just took out the Ace yesterday for a fire work show . Temp was about 105
The gen ran for about an hour and then shut down guess that air screen the dealer put on after our last issues with the gen is not helping from overheating. Once the sun started to drop and temp got to around 90. I was able to start it back up but, this was 3 hours later 😕 . I also have a 2000 seaview national and never had these issues and the ace is a 2015. going to collected all the information from this thread and inform dealer of some ways others have fix the issues . Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436127202.233536.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	99243Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436127242.626602.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	99244
Gfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #858

Quote:
Just took out the Ace yesterday for a fire work show . Temp was about 105
The gen ran for about an hour and then shut down guess that air screen the dealer put on after our last issues with the gen is not helping from overheating. Once the sun started to drop and temp got to around 90. I was able to start it back up but, this was 3 hours later �� . I also have a 2000 seaview national and never had these issues and the ace is a 2015. going to collected all the information from this thread and inform dealer of some ways others have fix the issues . Attachment 99243Attachment 99244
Will update you in a few days....I just installed a "push pump" and it seems to work.
IMO.... your door vent needs the shroud to work properly. Even with the shrouded vent, insulated fuel line, mine shut down in hot weather also.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #859

Tiffin Owners Club
Wanted to do a bit more followup about this subject. A few months back, Thor authorized and paid to have my genset moved to the rear of the ACE, switching it with the propane tank. We left for an extended stay in Oregon the beginning of June. Traveling thru northern Cali on the way up, we encountered temps of 109. Ran the genset so I could utilize the house air and I was amazed that the generator never skipped a beat. No shut down and the AC was wonderful to have as we traveled. Such a huge difference. Traveling back to Phoenix and coming through Needles, California yesterday (which is where I first encountered the overheating and shut down last year) temps ranged 112 and 114. Again, not one issue with the generator. SA-WEEET. Inside the coach temps were 78-80 COMFORTABLE degrees.
I have no push pump, no vented door (although I did worry about the heat on the door but so far, no blisters or other issue) but the fuel line is heat wrapped.
Let me also note, I ran the generator during our boon-docking a couple of evenings and I was not bothered by the noise at all.
So, all in all, VERY VERY happy with this mod. Might I also say, after living in the ACE for 5 weeks, I did not experience one problem.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Wanted to do a bit more followup about this subject. A few months back, Thor authorized and paid to have my genset moved to the rear of the ACE, switching it with the propane tank. We left for an extended stay in Oregon the beginning of June. Traveling thru northern Cali on the way up, we encountered temps of 109. Ran the genset so I could utilize the house air and I was amazed that the generator never skipped a beat. No shut down and the AC was wonderful to have as we traveled. Such a huge difference. Traveling back to Phoenix and coming through Needles, California yesterday (which is where I first encountered the overheating and shut down last year) temps ranged 112 and 114. Again, not one issue with the generator. SA-WEEET. Inside the coach temps were 78-80 COMFORTABLE degrees.
I have no push pump, no vented door (although I did worry about the heat on the door but so far, no blisters or other issue) but the fuel line is heat wrapped.
Let me also note, I ran the generator during our boon-docking a couple of evenings and I was not bothered by the noise at all.
So, all in all, VERY VERY happy with this mod. Might I also say, after living in the ACE for 5 weeks, I did not experience one problem.
+1. I had Thor relocate my genset in 2013 and have never looked back. It's performed flawlessly ever since. I never understood why so many people spend so much time on vents, fans, push pumps, etc., when there's a true cure for the issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
I never understood why so many people spend so much time on vents, fans, push pumps, etc., when there's a true cure for the issue.

WOW...

Some of us were not under warranty when the problem manifested itself. Others were not well received by Thor when they complained under warranty. Those that were lucky enough to get some assistance from Thor were guinea pigs with Thor "engineers".

Lots of trial and error has been conducted on this very issue.

Hopefully this will "help you understand" why so many people spend times with vents, fans, and push pumps.

I am still happy to report that all of my modifications are still working perfectly after all the trial and errors. Push pump is the "true cure" for the factory location. Swapping the genny location is another.

A big "thank you" goes out to everyone on this thread who have helped find multiple solutions to a nagging problem.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #862

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post

A big "thank you" goes out to everyone on this thread who have helped find multiple solutions to a nagging problem.

I agree, sanfordturbo! LOTS of "try this, tried that, no help doing this etc etc" from so many members. That's just ONE of the things I love about this forum.

I have to say, I was not in warranty when Thor came to the plate. I am also not saying that it wasn't without some extensive effort (and MULTIPLE contacts) to come to a resolution. I can only say that I am please with the end result. The cost to do this change was not cheap.....but RV Renovators did a fantastic job....and a timely job at that!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
WOW...

Some of us were not under warranty when the problem manifested itself. Others were not well received by Thor when they complained under warranty. Those that were lucky enough to get some assistance from Thor were guinea pigs with Thor "engineers".

Hopefully this will "help you understand" why so many people spend times with vents, fans, and push pumps.
It did. Thanks. Wasn't trying to put your knickers in a twist.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #864

Thor Owners Club
ACE Generator Stops running - CODE 36

Just took my Ace down to camping world today and told them that the vent they put in on the gen door is not helping at all with overheating. Told them about what others have done to try to solve the issues. Push pump and heat shield. I am going to call them to see if we can just solve these issues with switching gen with LP tank compartment as this sounds like a problem solver as well like the push pump. We will see what Thor will do. This has been a serious headache for my family as we try to enjoy or newest rig .

Idaho Love!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #865

Quote:
Just took my Ace down to camping world today and told them that the vent they put in on the gen door is not helping at all with overheating. Told them about what others have done to try to solve the issues. Push pump and heat shield. I am going to call then to see if we can just solve these issues with switching gen with LP tank compartment as this sound like a problem solver. This has been a serious headache for my family as we try to enjoy or newest rig .

Idaho Love!

Hope they get your issues fixed! Think about how hot your propane tank will get switching spots.
I see the issues as the gen. location is too far away from the fuel tank, the Onan fuel pump can not suck fuel long distances. The other issue is the heat that's built-up inside the gen. compartment. I'm just a few miles from CW Boise. (go there to see the big flag mostly)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #866

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Think about how hot your propane tank will get switching spots.
I have to totally disagree. I have kept my eye on this also as I, too, was concerned about having a "bomb" under my butt. Talk about a possible "ejection seat"? I didn't want to play James Bond 007.

When I agreed with the switch, I worked with Thor and RV Renovators to have them fabricate a "heat shield" of sorts around the propane tank. This is what that shield looks like installed. This is installed between the engine/exhaust behind the tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150228_122253984.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	99515

When I made a fuel stop at one point in our travels, I opened the door and could rest my hand on the tank. Was it warm? Yep...no lie...almost "hot". But it wasn't hot enough to not have my hand on it for a short period of time. This was after traveling in 100+ temps.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #867

Tiffin Owners Club
...now....if tomorrow you read about an explosion? Well......
Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #868

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Just took my Ace down to camping world today and told them that the vent they put in on the gen door is not helping at all with overheating. Told them about what others have done to try to solve the issues. Push pump and heat shield. I am going to call them to see if we can just solve these issues with switching gen with LP tank compartment as this sounds like a problem solver as well like the push pump. We will see what Thor will do. This has been a serious headache for my family as we try to enjoy or newest rig .

Idaho Love!

CW just got back to me they said they can't get the gen to overheat. It's because it's been cool out here in the Boise area lately below 90's so their going to only wrap the flue line with heat shield it .Looks like I'm going to be going back soon as I put my money on it overheating again and the story continues....😕

Idaho Love!

Tags
generator