Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #869

Generator fun

As I know many of you like me have been following this thread for years now I thought i'd provide a log of my latest issue incase it helps out(sorry a little long). I have had a heat shield and fuel line wrap on mine for a couple years now and havn't had issues but really havn't been tested. Recently returning from a trip I had the generator run for about 2 mins then stop. Temps were only 80ish so overheat was not the culprit in my mind. When I got home I did some testing on the fuel pump and it did not seem to be moving much at all. I replaced the OEM fuel pump hoping that was the issue. Still could not get fuel to the genny, so I disconnected the fuel line and ran it to a gas can to insure that the genny would run and it did. I then started troubleshooting the line looking for a disconnect or blockage. It looked fine all the way back and I was worried the issue was with the tube in the tank, I disconnected the fuel line where it is reduced to 1/4" and blew on the line towards the tank. I did not use compressed air as I read some stories about dangerous things happening with that. Anyway just blew in it, at first toward the tank it was difficult then I was able to blow and hear bubbles in the tank. I then re-hooked up the genny line and sure enough it ran. While I had it apart I installed the carter push pump that was recommended here and tied it directly into the existing feed wire. I also moved the pump and fuel line to the outside of the frame farther away from the heat which I also read about on here. Now I have a new OEM and secondary push pump as well as fuel line wrap/heat shield. I took a test drive afterwords for an hour around town in 95deg heat and didn't miss a beat. We'll see how it goes on the next trip. In short my issue was some kind of blockage in the tank feed line, but I used it as an opportunity to install the push pump that I was wanting to do but not motivated. I'll report back but all signs are good so far, the Carter pump is quiet and just works. Hopefully I don't have bad luck with another blockage but only time will tell. Hope this helps some folks when your having issues and how to troubleshoot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #870

Tiffin Owners Club
Good info, Harlee. Thanks for that and keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #871

code 36

Hi, I know I am late to the discussion on generator stopping while driving in hot weather. I never checked this forum and have been putting up with this problem for 3 yrs. I took our ACE to Camping World with this problem "oil lever is on borderline" or "Filter needs replacement" and I would leave and on trip the generator would quit. We would then use dash air only and put up with this limitation and thought is was just us doing something wrong. Then, last week I started reading forums and came across this 62 page thread and then understood what my problem has been from day 1.
So, I feel very stupid for never diving deeper into potential generator problems. But now, I would appreciate the help to find the OEM replacement fuel pump and insulation, fuel tube insulator tape, fuel boost pump, heat shield, door vent with trim to fit against the generator intake, and where to drill the holes for air and heat to escape. I think there is general agreement that these measures fix the vaporlock and overheating problem.
I see where some have moved their generator to the back storage hatch and the problem was solved. Any tech infor on how and cost of doing this??
I know I'm late to address this problem but I have been dealing with this problem for over 3 yrs.
I hope I get tech support from Thor. I expect no financial help at all.
You all are a bunch of ingenious, tenacious good folks. Thank you!!!!
aggieflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieflyer View Post
Hi, I know I am late to the discussion on generator stopping while driving in hot weather. I never checked this forum and have been putting up with this problem for 3 yrs. I took our ACE to Camping World with this problem "oil lever is on borderline" or "Filter needs replacement" and I would leave and on trip the generator would quit. We would then use dash air only and put up with this limitation and thought is was just us doing something wrong. Then, last week I started reading forums and came across this 62 page thread and then understood what my problem has been from day 1.
So, I feel very stupid for never diving deeper into potential generator problems. But now, I would appreciate the help to find the OEM replacement fuel pump and insulation, fuel tube insulator tape, fuel boost pump, heat shield, door vent with trim to fit against the generator intake, and where to drill the holes for air and heat to escape. I think there is general agreement that these measures fix the vaporlock and overheating problem.
I see where some have moved their generator to the back storage hatch and the problem was solved. Any tech info on how and cost of doing this??
I know I'm late to address this problem but I have been dealing with this problem for over 3 yrs.
I hope I get tech support from Thor. I expect no financial help at all.
You all are a bunch of ingenious, tenacious good folks. Thank you!!!!
Although I have a Fleetwood 'Storm' and not an Ace I see some of the same heat issues arising. I would first install a vent in the door WITH a shroud! The vent w/ a shroud is necessary to force cold air in and send hot air out under the generator. If your gen. is more than 8' from the fuel supply a aux. fuel pump may be necessary. (not a big deal).
Old 07-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #873

ACE generator stops running code 36

Did any of you use a RV Tech in Texas familiar with these generator issues and fixes that I might take my MH to for these repairs and changes? I have not been able to find the door vent and shroud. Do you know where I can find one?
Thank you
aggieflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #874

Thor Owners Club
Simple solution is, if your genset is in front on the left side of the coach. Have it moved to a rear bay. My 2012 ACE 29.1 had the genset moved last year, well out of warranty. Thor sent all the parts and paid Guaranty RV in Junction City Oregon to do it all. It was a full day's work for them and now my gen runs flawlessly! It took about 6 weeks for all parts to arrive then 1 day no cost. I thought it would be louder in back while we were in the bedroom, but it is quite reasonable and in the front it is really quiet. Best thing I did was to not play all the games with vents, pumps, shilding, wrapping, switches. Keep it simple! Have Thor pay to move it and you're done. It's crazy to do all the stuff some of you elect to do once the proper fix was found to be moving it...let Thor put it where they should have put it from the beginning and then enjoy your MH.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #875

Thor Owners Club
One of the best threads on here in the forum. While I just got my ACE 27.1, the Gen is way back. Hope I never have to make mods for it, but, if I do.....

My thanks to all of you pioneers, for your trials and tribulations in helping to get things worked out and fixed.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #876

Back at Bristol for a fun filled weekend. Generator has been running for 24 hours so far. I don't plan on shutting it down until Sunday afternoon. Glad the community has found a solution to this nightmare.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #877

Have fun at the race, done that track a few times, but in the luxury boxes in turn 3 (client has a box there). The only thing I use the genny for is going down the road, if I dry camp or are at a race, I use an external genny, the Onan is just too noisy for me. I bought a Champion 3100 on Craig's list for $375.00 and I use the crap out of it. The nice thing is when it's running, you don't hear it of feel it. Dry camping, I can run the cord and genny 25' away from the rig. Also keeps the fumes away from the rig. At the Vegas race, I put it just behind the rig and run it a lot. Love having power. Enjoy the race!
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #878

Thor Owners Club
Just talked with Thor today and looks like after the mods heat shield fuel line , vent cut out on gen compartment door to take care of the gen overheating issues. They are having the gen relocated @ CW not sure what compartment they are moving it to guess we will find out. I'll update with photos . Thor says they have a kit they can send the service facility guess they are aware of these situations. 1 year now and looks like overheating issues might be behind me.

Idaho Love!
Gfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
Back at Bristol for a fun filled weekend. Generator has been running for 24 hours so far. I don't plan on shutting it down until Sunday afternoon. Glad the community has found a solution to this nightmare.
We're going to try and do Bristol next year, never been there. Wheres the best place to stay with the RV? Where are you staying?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #880

Class Action Lawsuit Against Thor

I have read in the past in this thread that some were considering a class action lawsuit against Thor. Has anyone or group taken that step? I have been suffering with this problem for the last three years and continue to have problems with this product. I have followed the thread and called Thor only to be promised a call today - Well guess what - No call back. And of course they are closed. So now I will get the run around again.

Let me know if there is any such legal proceedings as I am tired of trying to fix a problem from a faulty design.
dzimmer276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #881

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
We're going to try and do Bristol next year, never been there. Wheres the best place to stay with the RV? Where are you staying?

We stay in some dudes yard every year less than a mile from the track. He charges us $20 per day and I get free water and electricity. Generator ran like a champ all 4 days we were there.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:14 AM   #882

Thor service runaround

I have a brand new Thor Windsport. I have owned it a week and a half, and the generator is doing the exact same thing. Thor "Customer Service" has been worthless. Several calls to them have resulted in goose chases, me paying $400 out of pocket to a service agency Thor sent me to. They not only didn't fix my problem, but advised me Thor workmanship was junk, their warranty department was worthless, and by the way, they quit taking their promise to pay years ago. Check please. Thor has promised to repay me. If they do, it will be the first honest words out of them yet. They acted like they have never heard of such a problem before! Bunch of liars.

I am amazed at people on here saying Thor Customer Service is great. I have found them unknowledgeable, and they will never return a call.

I am beginning to think I made a huge mistake buying a Thor.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator