Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Finally installed my push pump. I did the tie in like Randawg did, so there is no switch for mine, its on when the generator is on period. Was not to bad doing the install however took me longer to undo all the Thor crap they had me put on previously (radiator, extra fuel line, etc.) I should not have done such a good job first time, must have had to cut 100+ zip ties, and undress all the routing i did.

Did not do an extended run with it yet, just ran it for 15 minutes in driveway to ensure no problems or leaks.

I am fairly certain that this push pump solves this issue, and sure glad I did not do the relocation like some others have done.
When it warms up, let us know how it did. I hope it works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #688

I need to get this done soon. I installed the extra 16 gallon fuel cell in the compartment behind the generator. No problems with my setup, Genny works fine with the extra fuel cell. I just want my storage space back, so will do the push pump on a switch.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #689

Tiffin Owners Club
Man...I am so close to buying a 13 29.2 and this scares the hell out of me.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #690

Tiffin Owners Club
I spoke to a tech here at a local CW who told me that it was noted that the fuel pickup line from the gas tank, was in some cases, too short. When the gas tank ran below half a tank, the generator would run out of fuel.
Please understand I am only now getting into this conversation (altho I have read all 50 pages) and I am not pretending that this is the solution. What I am asking is, has anyone else been told this or had this fix and it resolved their problem?
I am not saying that it would be a show stopper in a purchase of an ACE, but I am leery of jumping in knowing a problem like this exist and for what I can tell, has no resolution.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Man...I am so close to buying a 13 29.2 and this scares the hell out of me.
We have a 2013 29.2 and have NEVER had any issues with our generator. I even gave it a good workout while traveling in 110 degree temps and ours didn't miss a beat. I'm still not sure why ours works fine while others have issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #692

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks H3OHIO. Being from Arizona, 110 is so common I was (and for now continue to be) concerned. I know the unit on the one we are looking at has had the problem and it has had the "heat insulator" installed, which, from what I can discern, did not correct the problem. It is a private owner sale (and I truly believe they are being as honest as they can be about everything related to the coach) and not a dealer.

BTW, the MH is still under a warranty plan which is a HUGE PLUS for us!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #693

Quote:
I spoke to a tech here at a local CW who told me that it was noted that the fuel pickup line from the gas tank, was in some cases, too short. When the gas tank ran below half a tank, the generator would run out of fuel.
Please understand I am only now getting into this conversation (altho I have read all 50 pages) and I am not pretending that this is the solution. What I am asking is, has anyone else been told this or had this fix and it resolved their problem?
I am not saying that it would be a show stopper in a purchase of an ACE, but I am leery of jumping in knowing a problem like this exist and for what I can tell, has no resolution.
It is NOT the generator running out of fuel. At least not on our ACE. It is my understanding the generator will not run if there is 1/4 or less of gas, this is a "failsafe" so you will not run out of gas on the road. (someone please correct me if this is not correct) Prior to having all the fixes done on the generator it would stop with a full tank!
Ours was resolved with the fixes I have discussed previously. After the push pump was put in, my partner made a long trip to California. She started in Southern Arizona in August, drove through Blythe, Southern California and up to the San Francisco area. Not once did the generator stop. This trip was made in the hot Arizona summer.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #694

Thor Owners Club
Well, I will just continue with my 2 cents. Thor insisted that we relocate the generator, which now has created a terrible floor vibration, and noise level is awful. They have told me that many of the "redo's" by dyi's are dangerous and they would not do them (push pump, etc.) Being under warranty really doesn't get you much since they can't fix it appropriately. So frustrated, and my unit has now been in the shop for almost six months.
lindamayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #695

Quote:
The fuel line is connected into the main fuel tank at the 1/4 mark by design. If you have less than 1/4 tank of fuel, your genny won't run, you want that 1/4 tank of fuel to get you to where you need to go... like a gas station. The problem we are finding is that adding the fuel pump near the tank seems to fix the issue. Simple fix really, just took a while for everyone to figure that out since we didn't get much help from Thor. People putting their heads together here and sharing their experiences drive results. It is the people on these forums who find and fix a lot of these issues. That's what makes these forums great.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #696

Tiffin Owners Club
Lisa,
Thanks for that input. That's what I was looking for. Again, coming to the game in the 9th inning misses alot of umpire calls. Having read all the posts, it would appear at one point that solutions were found, only to read on and discover the problem continued indicating the "fix" was all for not. Arizona is my location, so if the push pump worked for you at our temps, then MAYBE there is a resolution. Was that "fix" out of pocket $$ or covered by warranty/Thor?

Thorchini,
I absolutely agree people on these forums and their inputs/experience do, in fact, drive results. That's one of the reasons I joined, knowing my DW and I were (and will) make the jump into the RV world. Whatever unit we end up with, it will be our first MH and I couldn't begin to tell you how much I have read, youtube videos watched and conversations held with existing owners I have done. COUNTLESS hours spent over 7-8 months of looking. I know that every unit out there has or has had issue of one sort or another. What concerned me most on the Ace was this one issue, mostly because the first post was from May of 2012....and it continued on without, as I saw it, any resolution in 2 years. That's what scared me. I didn't want to come in to the MH game, knowing I was going to face this same issue and end up with a bad, third strike out call.

Thanks for your inputs. It really has put my mind at ease (some).
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #697

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don, no one knows this generator issue more than I. I have tried every single solution that Thor has provided with the exception of relocating the generator, which I feel is a very poor solution. I feel very good about the additional fuel pump installation, both from a mechanical standpoint and a safety standpoint.

Lots and lots of vehicles have their fuel pumps located at the fuel tank and they push the fuel to the engine, my 2009 Chevy Silverado is this way. This method of fuel delivery is proven with a long track record, which is one of the reason why I feel so comfortable with pushing fuel to our generators.

Thor must have been out of their minds when they did the math on the cost of relocating the generator vs adding an additional fuel pump which has a cost of $50 and a few hours labor.

I would rather buy an ACE with the generator up front and a bigger trunk than have a generator located in the back blowing exhaust into the patio area and loose the extra storage space. We have not taken a long trip since the installation of our additional fuel pump, however I feel very confident that this has cured the problem.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #698

Quote:
They have told me that many of the "redo's" by dyi's are dangerous and they would not do them (push pump, etc.)
Our push pump was installed by Lazydays in Tucson. Thor knew what we were doing and said it was ok to do. AND they really have nothing to say since one of their solutions was to add an oil cooler in front of the radiator, the cooler was supposed to be used to cool the fuel so it would evaporate (or something like that). The National Transportation Safety Board got involved and basically told Thor that was NOT SAFE and to have it taken off.
Quote:
Was that "fix" out of pocket $$ or covered by warranty/Thor?
All of the things done to try and fix the generator set was done under warranty.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

Thor must have been out of their minds when they did the math on the cost of relocating the generator vs adding an additional fuel pump which has a cost of $50 and a few hours labor.

I would rather buy an ACE with the generator up front and a bigger trunk than have a generator located in the back blowing exhaust into the patio area and loose the extra storage space.
My RV season is just getting started. I plan on installing this fuel pump in the next few weeks. I forget which page you posted the fuel pump mod on, so i have some digging to do on this post.

I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a manual switch to turn it on, or have it automatically fire up when the generator is starting up.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousnmikey View Post
Sanford,

I might wrap the genet like you did also. What kind of sound/heat barrier did you buy and use?

I used the car audio wrap . . . DYNAMAT. They have different kinds of insulation you can use. The more sound killing power, the higher the price!
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator