Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #925

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClark View Post
Just wanted to report back. Installed a vent in camp last night. Hit the road in the high 90s and did allot of mountains today. 100 percent success, the generator ran the whole way.

Night and day difference from the day before with no vent.

Pic of the install

Attachment 168424

Update- generator still died a few times today. Next experiment is adding a makeshift boot to the vent. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	168557

It's a rough camp fix. If it helps will do something more permanent once home
TheClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #926

Yes, the boot is the key factor in keeping hot air from the engine and exhaust from being sucked into the intake.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #927

It looks like the vents you all are installing are in the basement door. My Onan has a cover without any venting inside the basement door and over the front of the genny. How does venting the basement door help?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
It looks like the vents you all are installing are in the basement door. My Onan has a cover without any venting inside the basement door and over the front of the genny. How does venting the basement door help?

You probably have the 5.5 K Onan. Not sure where the intake grill is, maybe on left side as you face the installed unit. Literature does not show intake grill location. Literature indicates that heated air vents out the bottom of the unit.

Maybe someone with a 5.5 can answer.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 AM   #929

I would like to suggest a different product for insulating your fuel line, ceramic wrap. The wrap is made for headers on motorcycles and cars to contain the heat, very effective stuff, works similar to the heat tiles on the old space shuttle. The wrap comes in a roll, wet it to make it pliable, wrap the fuel line, secure the ends with stainless wire and allow to dry. The insulation factor of the ceramic wrap works both ways, keeps heat in or out.

If you're having problems with the fuel line getting hot and causing vapor lock I think the ceramic wrap would be an excellent way to solve the problem.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
If your rv came with 2 AC units then you have the Onan 5.5 which has different venting. This vent only pertains to the 4000. You shouldn't have the overheating problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #931

Quote:
Update- generator still died a few times today. Next experiment is adding a makeshift boot to the vent. Attachment 168557

It's a rough camp fix. If it helps will do something more permanent once home
Well unfortunately even the boot could not keep the generator running.

The next night I installed a booster fuel pump back by the fuel tank. Wired a switch in and gave it a shot. This is a very basic install. Splice the fuel line, put the fuel pump in, hose clamp it. Pick up some DC 12v and wire in a switch so it can be turned on when necessary.

Two more days of mountain passes and 0 problems with the generator after this addition.

I believe the vent helped, but the final key was the extra fuel pump. That Onan pump is in the generator and it has to pull gas a long ways. In the heat apparently that is an issue.

My theories anyways. This was a 'live' experiment, I just wanted to share info for those struggling with the same issue. When the coach is over 90 degrees because the AC won't run, no one is having fun!

Problem solved! For now...
TheClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #932

Glad you were able to solve it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #933

Quote:
Well unfortunately even the boot could not keep the generator running.

The next night I installed a booster fuel pump back by the fuel tank. Wired a switch in and gave it a shot. This is a very basic install. Splice the fuel line, put the fuel pump in, hose clamp it. Pick up some DC 12v and wire in a switch so it can be turned on when necessary.

Two more days of mountain passes and 0 problems with the generator after this addition.

I believe the vent helped, but the final key was the extra fuel pump. That Onan pump is in the generator and it has to pull gas a long ways. In the heat apparently that is an issue.

My theories anyways. This was a 'live' experiment, I just wanted to share info for those struggling with the same issue. When the coach is over 90 degrees because the AC won't run, no one is having fun!

Problem solved! For now...
I went through all of the steps you took back last year. The dealer had replaced my fuel pump multiple times, only to fail a short time after running at hot outside temps (97 F +). I installed a K&N low pressure pump close to the fuel tank on the inside of the fuel rail with a separate cutoff switch. So far it has operated well on shorter trips. I have a 300 mile trip coming up the end of September which should be the true test if it in fact worked!

I am curious did you get the chatter from the fuel pump like I did before the generator stalled each time? I am sure that my stock pump in the gen cabinet is on its last leg once again even after installing the pusher pump in the rear.

D
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzimmer276 View Post
Hello all. I just wanted to let everyone know in this forum that there were a few things that have happened during the three plus years to correct this issue.

At first we thought this was an issue with the location of the Generator, which may have been part of the problem. After multiple attempts with CW we finally were able to get a plan from Thor to relocate the Generator to the back of the coach. Ironically they played it off as a one off issue, but when the package showed up it had way too detailed plans to be a one off. ;-)

After we relocated the Generator, it still continued to die after about 15 to 20 minutes.

Here is the kicker and one would think totally obvious - Every time we reported this issue to CW we told them this only happens when we run the AC with the Generator. Seems obvious to you the reader doesn't it?

And yes you are correct. There was a problem with the factory installed AC unit that caused the generator to stop working due to the draw from a fault in the AC. Once CW took the time to look into the issue, they say the electrical draw was too high for the generator to handle. They then replaced the AC unit with a new one.

Happily we have not had an issue since. We ran the generator all the way to Florida Ft. Wilderness Campground in June with the AC unit at full power. Generator never missed a beat. Return trip saw the same experience.

So if you are experiencing this issue, that may be an item that you need to look at. Do you have a product that is causing excessive draw?

Cheers,

Zim
Zim,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have been back and forth with Thor and Onan on the issue. Onan has replaced 3 failed fuel pumps on my unit due to excessive heat. 1st and most importantly....

Do you have a Thor ACE with 4000 Onan?
Is the unit mounted behind your driver wheel?
Did the gen stall when outdoor temps were above 97 degrees?
Did you hear a clicking sound and surging from the generator before it stalled?

The symptoms above were mine on my 2015 ACE. I have installed door vent, heat wrapped the fuel line and added a low pressure fuel pump between the fuel tank and the generator to reduce the strain on the generator fuel pump.

Your response will be greatly appreciated!

Dwain
Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
That's the same one I got for my Ace 30.1 from Forest a River. When I called Thor, they didn't acknowledge any issues with the generator so I just paid for it and installed it myself. I see your generator was located in the rear compartment. Did you still have issues with overheating there?
Unfortunately this is very common with Thor. They do not acknowledge issues like this even though they are well documented here. They will however provide you with recommended fixes that you can perform on your own dime. This should have been corrected years ago...I know I would have if I owned Thor and wanted repeat customers and promoters of my product.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #936

Thanks for providing your temperature readings at the intake. I knew a significant amount of heat is being pulled into the air intake of the Onan. This is a huge defect and has continued to be repeated for years...
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #937

Install an additional Fuel Pump

Vents help, fuel line wraps help, but the real solution here is to install an inline fuel pump.

Mine is still running strong and never shuts down due to any temperatures.

Just got back from a trip and the generator stayed on for 4 days straight. Mountain roads, 90+ degree temps.

Install the fuel pump and save yourself some headaches.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
Vents help, fuel line wraps help, but the real solution here is to install an inline fuel pump.

Mine is still running strong and never shuts down due to any temperatures.

Just got back from a trip and the generator stayed on for 4 days straight. Mountain roads, 90+ degree temps.

Install the fuel pump and save yourself some headaches.
Totally agree with Sanfordturbo. Have not had a problem since installing an in-line pump four years ago... Remember that the pressure isn't the sum of the two pumps, but the greater of the two... The second pump just helps to maintain the pressure.

Tags
generator