Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

ACE Generator Stops running - CODE 36

Generator runs for 20 - 30 minutes just fine, then automatically shuts itself down. It will start up again, but immediately shuts down after 10 seconds or so. The RED blinking light on the unit indicates error code 36.

Manual indicates:
CODE NO. 36 (Engine stopped without command by controller)
Corrective Action:
1. Gasoline Models - Check and fill the fuel tank, as necessary. (Note: The genset fuel pickup tube is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. LPG Models - Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary. On cold days the LPG container may have to be kept at least half full to provide the rate of vaporization necessary to keep up with the genset fuel demand.
3. Secure the spark plug lead on the spark plug (Page 3-6).
4. Replace the spark plug (Page 3-6).
5. Service the air cleaner (Page 3-5).
6. Check for mechanical damage.

I've only got 40 hours on the thing. Finally found an "authorized" warranty shop around town that will take a look at it for me. There are plenty of places around here that will fix it, but only a few that are authorized to perform warranty work.

I'll post back the results.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Which genset do you have?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
It looks like you have the ONAN Genset from what you posted from the owners manual. So as I understand the issue, when the unit is cold, it will run about 30 minutes and then shuts off. How much fuel is in the coach? The Genset probably is not supposed to run if the coach is below about 1/4 tank. I noticed a couple of other things you might check in the manual. One is the altitude setting on the genset to make such it is appropriate for the altitude you are operating in. I would also check the oil level (which I'm sure you probably already did). You should have changed it after the 20 hour break-in period. Also in the maintenance requirements, it says to clean the spark arrestor @ 50 hours. Did you get someone to look at it?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Yes, it is a Onan QG 4000.

Fuel level has been between full and 3/4.

I'm going to check all the basic stuff tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Turns out the Oil level was on the LOW side of the stick. Spark plug was stupid looking. White on the tip and black on the bottom.

I replaced the NGK plug (bought extras too) and changed the Oil to SAE30.

Thing took 1.6 quarts. What a PITA to put in less than 2 quarts of Oil in this thing. Use a funnel, and take a seat . . . you can't just turn the bottle up and pour it all in at one time. Pour some, wait for it to go in, then repeat over and over.

Any ways, the thing ran for over 40 minutes with the air conditioner running and the microwave on every few minutes. Found an obscure passage in the manual that states proper oil level and good spark plugs will prevent the unit from automatically turning off.

Good luck trying to reach the fuel filter.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #6

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the access door to the generator is melting. The door was originally flat, but now has a nice bulge in it. Almost like a bubble.

I took pictures. I'll post them up when i remember to bring my camera SD card with me.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I'm glad you got the Genset going again. Also curious to see the pics of the door.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #8

Door should be flat with the socket holder (which is straight), but the bubble from the heat inside has created a dome that bulges out from the RV.

Here is another photo from the inside. Stupid doors under the Slide Out don't have holders, so I used a bungee. Wish they had some type of arm inside to prop the doors open. I've seen a bunch online for $35 an arm.

I'm considering cutting out a large section of the door and inserting some kind of louvered vent.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I looked at mine also. I did not see the bow but I only have about 25 hours on the Genset.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Hey I am having a similar problem with my unit. It is currently in the Onan shop but driving it home from Orlando to Cocoa Beach will stall the generator. PLEASE tell me what you have learned!!!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #11

Seriously, the generator is working fine now. All I did was replace the spark plug and change the oil (and filled it up to the full mark on the dip stick).

I have not had the problem since. I'm off on a small trip this weekend. Plan on running the hell out of the generator. Should be on for over 24 hours straight if all goes well.

If the thing cuts off during my next 24 hour run, I'll be sure to check the oil level and plug again. I've got all the necessary oil and plugs/tools onboard now. I'll be able to service this thing at a rest stop if needed.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

Took a trip over the weekend. Put another 20 hours on the generator. No problems at all. Started right up, and stayed running the entire time. Hot weather didn't impact it at all.

I plan on checking the oil level this weekend and changing it out as a precaution. Can't hurt to pull the plug and inspect it either. Especially since it is right up front and easy to get to.

I still plan on cutting a hole in the door and installing a vent of some kind. I just need to find one.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it supposed to have a cover? My Onan is air cooled and has an insulated cover to keep the aircooling around the unit. It looks like the heat is effecting the door and causing it bubble. Instead of installing a vent what about insulation?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
It is supposed to have a cover. I was thinking sanfordturbo had just removed it while doing maintenance when he took the photos.

Tags
generator