Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #463

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nope, just took mine into same place down the street that I get rest of my cars and trucks done at $18 IIRC.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #464

Looking at putting a King Dome on the roof to pair it with my Dish HD receiver. Anyone have experience with the King Dome units? The model I am looking at is the Relay. I have a jack antenna and will keep that, this will go just above the passenger seat, Thor said they have a big mounting plate just above the passenger seat. They sent me a PDF picture to verify, looks like a simple installation. Any feedback appreciated.

I got my 2nd AC unit this week also, hoping to get that installed soon. Too many projects!
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #465

Quote:
I got my 2nd AC unit this week also, hoping to get that installed soon. Too many projects!
Pictures and detailed installation instructions - please! I'm sure we could use a 2nd one.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #466

Will a 30 amp unit handle 2 AC units?
Mustanghoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #467

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nope
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #468

I don't plan to wire it to the current 30 Amp service. I will wire it separate so I can take advantage of the 20Amp plug that is always sitting unused next to the 30Amp plug on the power pole. I will run the power from the AC unit, on the roof, to the pantry next to the shower and run the power down inside that cabinet in a nice brown colored conduit, through the floor of the RV. I'll then run it back to the rear storage and put some kind of outlet or box there. From there, I can run a nice 12 gauge extension cord to the power pole.

This lets me run off of 2 separate circuits at a campsite. I like that idea since we sometimes have the dog with us, and if it's hot and if we would loose a circuit or an AC unit, the second one should be running no problem. If we step away and have to leave him in the RV for a little while, it's just added insurance. I don't like to do that, but if we want to run out to dinner or something, I don't want to have to worry. Most every campsite that has had a 30Amp plug always has an additional 20Amp plug next to it. Assuming there is 50Amp to the pole.

This won't be running off the generator, but that's fine, I think the use case would be to use it when parked when it's super hot out. Going down the road, the 1 roof AC will work just fine. The rear AC unit will not be in use when driving.

I'm adding the heat strip to this rear unit too, was in the desert this past weekend in a friend's RV that had the heat strip it was really nice, just a little extra heat to suppliment the furnace, I thought it was great.

I'm installing the Coleman Mach 3PS (Power Saver). Running at Max cooling it should draw less than 10.5 Amps. It looks the same as the original unit so they will match.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #469

Talking First ACE Mods

Well the first of many of my ACE mods has been done. RGB LED light strip under awning as well as above main step. Added indoor LED step lights (amber) that are controlled by the outside light switch (bulb removed because i have the LED's now). Also added an amber LED light to illuminate the switch area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	59160

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	59159

Added a 12V DVD player behind main TV for driving viewing without gen. Currently working on installing 5 1/4" component speakers up front in the cab area as well as a amp/sub for the whole system.

More on the way...
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #470

Does anyone know if there is a mod to make the generator auto-start when the batteries get low?
chogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #471

Thor Owners Club
added theater seats and replaced booth dinette also moved TV into overhead cabinet

New mod to Thor ACE 29.1. Still some work to do, but I think it is looking promising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140325_182238.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	59218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140324_194740.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	59219  

Name:	20140325_182213.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	59220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140325_182345.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	59221  

Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #472

Thor Owners Club
LEDs look great! Nice!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhicks View Post
New mod to Thor ACE 29.1. Still some work to do, but I think it is looking promising.
Ok. You need to spill the beans on those theater seats. My wife and I have been looking for exactly that to replace our jacknife sofa. Where did you get those? What is the overall width?
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #474

Thor Owners Club
The theater seats are from 4seating.com. seatcraft signature madera. The width is 68 inches and are squeezed into the space the booth use to be in. They would fit nicely as a replacement for the job sofa. That for the 2 was $1504.00
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #475

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
... (snip,snip) Currently working on installing 5 1/4" component speakers up front in the cab area as well as a amp/sub for the whole system. More on the way...
I'm just about to start on the same project. Are you just going to splice into one set of speaker wires coming out from the Jensen head unit? And what kinds of speakers do you intend to use?

Thanks,
Skip
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 AM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipRD View Post
I'm just about to start on the same project. Are you just going to splice into one set of speaker wires coming out from the Jensen head unit? And what kinds of speakers do you intend to use?

Thanks,
Skip
I have done some shopping on Crutchfield to see prices etc. If this was a full time rig I would choose much differently (not price) but this is a weekender so I don't need the 'best'. I went with Rockford Fosgate components up front and i will replace the main full range speakers with 2 ways and add a sub either under the couch or next to drivers seat for bass. From my research the Jensen unit has pre-amp outputs that should feed the amp and all wiring will then go back to the factory wires for the main speakers (i'm not using the speakers in bedroom)..and i'll run new wires to the component speakers up in the dash. The need to overcome the road noise etc is something i'm finding. Having the tweeters up on the dash facing you is really great. I haven't chosen the sub and amp yet but they make some really nice, simple 5 channel amps to power the whole system. A good wiring kit is key too.