Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
Got my rear AC unit installed. Works sweet, really nice supliment to the original unit. Wasn't hard to do, hardest thing was getting the rooftop unit on top of the RV. Heavy with sharp parts! It has it's own power supply, so when I get to a site, I plug int he 30A plug for the RV and the single 20A cord for the rear air. I like it, came in handy thins past weekend in Moab, it was hot!
That looks great...so it uses the fan slot? where did wiring run? Curious..i find that my 15K unit does ok to cool the whole rig...did you have the 13.5K?

Either way..nice install.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #534

More ACE upgrades...some LED fun

we have liftoff...yes...this will get a few looks but hell the kid loves it. Some DIY under carriage LEDs...definitely will help outside at the site and keep the site illuminated. They are RGB also...so they can be any color i want and disable (complete with RF remote)...and NO they won't be on when driving. Simply for nighttime fun...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACE_under_LEDs1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	65053
Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #535

More LED fun inside...

Ok so I had a few days off last week...finally added another LED light strip to the existing inside ones. This one runs under the front cap...where much needed light was absent. You can barely tell it's there if I didn't point to it...

Adds much needed light for the table area...and yes...RGB so it can be any color. We prefer red at night as it is easy on the eyes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ace_interior_led_front.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	65055
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
That looks great...so it uses the fan slot? where did wiring run? Curious..i find that my 15K unit does ok to cool the whole rig...did you have the 13.5K?

Either way..nice install.
Yes, I have the 13.5K. It keeps up, but the supplimental makes it all that much nicer when it's really freaking hot. I ran the power over the roof about 3', when down through the cabinet next to the bathroom and over to the compartment on the left where the sewer hose is. it all looks good, i did a little extra to hide the cables and make it look factory installed.

I installed the hheat coil in it also, so we have heat if needed.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #537

You did a great Job on the drawers but why did you not reinforce around the opening which is no considerable less structural sound. I did with a 2x2 on top resting on 1x2's on the side. there is room to screw and glue . good luck.
Besteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #538

I cut away right to the main structure. There was no need to reinforce in my mind. It's just a drawer. Not sure what you mean or if I understand correctly. The bench offers enough support and I didn't want to add too much weight.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #539

Oh I see what you are saying. Why not reinforce because of the hole? No need there either. That cheap piece if 1/8 inch board is not adding any structural support to the bench. The frame is the support. If I find otherwise I can add it in.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #540

nogoats. I played around with bug screen and glued two sections to the inside of the grill. they came loose because of the airpressure while driving. I called Thor and talked to a teki. he said they never had anyone raplacing the grill because of debry flying thru the grill and he said its not a good idea because the engines now are so finely tuned that you are restricting airflow and your consumption of gas will go up. the next guys pictures ... his openings are twice the size of an Ace. also the distance bugs and stuff have to travel to reach the grill is long enough that by the time it reached the grill the velasity has disipated. good luck.
Besteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #541

Thanks for the info, Besteman. I'm getting 7.5 mpg pulling a 20-foot trailer and 8 when not pulling one and doubt the mpg would be much better without the bug screen. I'm glad I had the screen in when going through the love bugs. I had to work to get them off the screen. They would have been in the radiator. I don't know how you would get them out of that.
nogoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besteman View Post
nogoats. I played around with bug screen and glued two sections to the inside of the grill. they came loose because of the airpressure while driving. I called Thor and talked to a teki. he said they never had anyone raplacing the grill because of debry flying thru the grill and he said its not a good idea because the engines now are so finely tuned that you are restricting airflow and your consumption of gas will go up. the next guys pictures ... his openings are twice the size of an Ace. also the distance bugs and stuff have to travel to reach the grill is long enough that by the time it reached the grill the velasity has disipated. good luck.
I just checked my coolant fins after 25,000 miles, including some pretty buggy places and didn't see anything to worry about. I think most of the bugs eventually dry up, turn to dust, and fall away after a while.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #543

Winnebago Owners Club
This is an awesome thread we have learned a lot. We have a 2014 ACE EVO 29.2 and are thinking about making at least one, if possible both, of the closets at least 5 to 6 inches longer. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be the best way to go about? One of our concerns is how to handle the electrical connection that is underneath the closet.
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #544

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we did that to one of the closets...cut out the inside...pay close attention to the receptacle. Used finished shelving to do the two sides of the extentions...found contact paper to cover...matches great
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #545

Winnebago Owners Club
Great! Would you mind posting or emailing me a pic or too, just to see?
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #546

After reading this thread, I was inspired to install the LED light in the grab handle. Cheap install and turned out fantastic!

sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote