Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #575

I have a 2015 that we just picked up (new) the end of June. I've had the side panels off for some other mods, and we do NOT have the insulation. I'm going to wait until winter and see if I have an issue. If so, I'll be filling in with insulation as well!
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #576

Luckily ours was fixed under warranty. We'll see this winter how it went, as we should be full timing by then.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #577

Can anyone confirm if removing the side panels allows for enough access to stuff in insulation? The only thing I see is making sure the motors can articulate. Thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek5 View Post
Where did you hook into the power?

Most of the LEDS tap into 12v power behind the main awning/step switch group. I run power and ground up the pantry and then across the roof line to behind where the bunk control is. Lots of pulling apart but I put it back together better than Thor. I use plastic channel to hide wires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407450254.822305.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	70158
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxguys View Post
I have a 2015 that we just picked up (new) the end of June. I've had the side panels off for some other mods, and we do NOT have the insulation. I'm going to wait until winter and see if I have an issue. If so, I'll be filling in with insulation as well!
You WILL have an issue. Mine had the condensation when the temps were in the 40s - low 50s.
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #580

I think this would be a good solution to the problem:
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
Most of the LEDS tap into 12v power behind the main awning/step switch group. I run power and ground up the pantry and then across the roof line to behind where the bunk control is. Lots of pulling apart but I put it back together better than Thor. I use plastic channel to hide wires.
Attachment 70158
Another good way to hide that cable is to use a piece of crown molding, stain it to match and put a satin clear over it. It will match perfect, and look like it came from teh factory that way.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #582

Re: ACE Mods/Upgrades,
Has anyone attempted to close in the huge open area at the rear of the battery/hydraulics bin? (ACE 27.1)

I say 'open area', but in fact there is no rear wall at all to the bin. Except for the incoming electrical and hyd. lines (of which there are many), the bin is completely open (toward the interior chassis) allowing kicked up road grim to enter and coat all the hyd. equipment and the many critical & exposed electrical connections.

Bad enough now, but am visualizing all this equipment becoming coated with the effects of rain, slush, and or snow while underway. Just ugly now, but perhaps seriously detrimental later. Maybe an occasional hosing out, or low pressure washing, but this does not seem an ideal answer a/c all the exposed electric connections, and that will not help while underway.

Am looking for a better idea than mine, which at this time is piecing in some plywood at the rear (slotted for the various incoming lines). However, considering all the incoming lines, I'm afraid that'll not be practable a/c the many openings & little pieces necessary to achieve a secure fit-up. Add to that the idea that all the slots/lines will have to be cushioned against chaffing wherever they enter.

Maybe a better method out there, or am I just making it harder than it is?? This is our 1st MH with such sophisticated (to us) equipment.

Thanks for any input!
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #583

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the battery/hydraulics compartment is left open to allow air circulation since lead acid batteries can give off hydrogen gas. My Thor Challenger is built exactly the same.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I think the battery/hydraulics compartment is left open to allow air circulation since lead acid batteries can give off hydrogen gas. My Thor Challenger is built exactly the same.
Interesting.

My old Fleetwood battery bin was fully enclosed with a screw down lid and rubber gasket & w/vent a few 1" holes in the sides - never a problem in 10 years & 52,000 miles. No dirt either beyond the little that could drift thru the vents.

So, am guessing you stay on top of it with the occasional careful hand cleaning.

THANKS!
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxguys View Post

Can you describe how you removed side panels for you other mods? Do,you have pictures of what you found underneath? We have a Hurricane 34E, not an ACE, but Thor is Thor so would expect similar construction.
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #586

Sure. The side panels are fastened with 4 screws (one in each corner of the panel). They provide access to the bunk motors. I will try to get a few pics this afternoon and post.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #587

Quote:
Attachment 70158
I used the 12v power to the bunk (prior to the safety switch cut-off) and installed a matching JR Products switch to control the LED lights.

I installed a single LED light (blue) by drilling a 3/16" hole in the bottom of each storage bin and fishing the wires to the rear. I also fished a 2-wire lead from the 12v power source at the bunk switch across the the front cap (removing both sides of the access panels by the bunk motors) to the driver's side.

It is time consuming, but not 'difficult' to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/north4...7645894295830/
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #588

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if removing the side panels allows for enough access to stuff in insulation? The only thing I see is making sure the motors can articulate. Thanks
From what I can tell, after fishing wires across the cap, you could stuff insulation as far as you could reach from each side, but that would leave the center uninsulated. I would guess the best way to reach the middle is to carefully cut an access panel in the back of the center storage bin - thus providing access from the middle toward each end, as well as access from each end toward the middle.

I have a suspicion that it's not going to be fun!