Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #617

Rear Screen Add-On & New Cubby Hole f/DVD Player

Our Ace 27.1 did not come with a rear screen for the large rear facing window (was told a/c it's an emerg. exit). Could not stand missing out on all that fresh air so fashioned a couple of 3" wide battens from 1/2 ply, fastened some 1" scribe on the back side to make a recess for a screen frame & added a little velcro for cushioning btw. the two. Screwed one batten to each side of window right above and adjacent the latches thus creating square hole. A trip to HD for some screening materials, add a couple side hasps, a length of 1/2" PVC pipe & we now have one, albeit very low tech, effective breeze way that allows a lot of additional air movement through the rig while parked. Note: The entire 3 piece valance had to come off which was quite a pain.

Next added a DVD player nitch above the TV. This done a/c the OEM HDMI cable installed btw. ceiling & roof (over to the designated DVD player) was inop. f/get-go. Rather than run a 20'+ long rpl'mt cable around the nose, or have to run across the ceiling with an exposed cable raceway, we opted to put the DVD player right above the TV. Worked out best a/c both now on same wall in near proximity & we freed up some cabinet space - no fancy O.K. Corral remote dueling motions either - just point & shoot in one direction. Wish I had matched the "cherry" finish better, but used new stain (new to me) & will never again use brand X. if you want to know which & why just send PM. Some pix below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02837.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	72943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02839.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	72944  

Name:	DSC02841.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	72945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02842.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	72946  

Name:	DSC02831.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	72947   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02834.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	72948  

millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #618

Thor Owners Club
Thank you millwind for giving me these mod ideas and the PM w/ the details.
Also noticed the white hooks under the remotes. 3M Command, I assume.
Another good idea for jackets if you get the right ones.
Velcro to hold the remotes is also an assumption. Hook on wall, loop on the remote.
D.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMEKiki View Post
Thank you millwind for giving me these mod ideas and the PM w/ the details.
Also noticed the white hooks under the remotes. 3M Command, I assume.
Another good idea for jackets if you get the right ones.
Velcro to hold the remotes is also an assumption. Hook on wall, loop on the remote.
D.
Por nada
Yep, hooks for keys & such are supposed to be non-marring, sticky back, can't recall brand - Kmart source. Yeppers on the Velcro/remote deal too - pretty secure but waiting on a good bump to nix that - maybe need to rethink that one - maybe.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #620

Mid Atlantic Campers
Lippert Jacks manual.

I just noticed I don't have a manual for the lippert jacks. The Thor manual has a one page brief on how to use it on auto but does not explain manual mode and what the lights mean. I'm trying to raise it up to wash underneath.

Can anyone paste the link for Lippert Jacks?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 09-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #621

I'm sorry I can't assist Steve.
But I do want to add the Thor ACE manual is one of the saddest excuses of a manual I have ever seen. Every single entry has instructions followed by a disclaimer stating your motorhome may or may not have this option. ugh

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #622

Mid Atlantic Campers
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I'm sorry I can't assist Steve.
But I do want to add the Thor ACE manual is one of the saddest excuses of a manual I have ever seen. Every single entry has instructions followed by a disclaimer stating your motorhome may or may not have this option. ugh
I agree! It was probably written by the sales department.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
I just noticed I don't have a manual for the lippert jacks. The Thor manual has a one page brief on how to use it on auto but does not explain manual mode and what the lights mean. I'm trying to raise it up to wash underneath.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,
I have a PDF copy of the manual that has the info you're looking for. If you can give me your email address, I send it to you.
chogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post

Thanks!
Steve
You can down load it f/Lippert web site too.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
Our Ace 27.1 did not come with a rear screen for the large rear facing window (was told a/c it's an emerg. exit). Could not stand missing out on all that fresh air so fashioned a couple of 3" wide battens from 1/2 ply, fastened some 1" scribe on the back side to make a recess for a screen frame & added a little velcro for cushioning btw. the two. Screwed one batten to each side of window right above and adjacent the latches thus creating square hole. A trip to HD for some screening materials, add a couple side hasps, a length of 1/2" PVC pipe & we now have one, albeit very low tech, effective breeze way that allows a lot of additional air movement through the rig while parked. Note: The entire 3 piece valance had to come off which was quite a pain.

Next added a DVD player nitch above the TV. This done a/c the OEM HDMI cable installed btw. ceiling & roof (over to the designated DVD player) was inop. f/get-go. Rather than run a 20'+ long rpl'mt cable around the nose, or have to run across the ceiling with an exposed cable raceway, we opted to put the DVD player right above the TV. Worked out best a/c both now on same wall in near proximity & we freed up some cabinet space - no fancy O.K. Corral remote dueling motions either - just point & shoot in one direction. Wish I had matched the "cherry" finish better, but used new stain (new to me) & will never again use brand X. if you want to know which & why just send PM. Some pix below.
Very nice mod to the rear window. I did something very similar and fabricated a removable window screen, but also added OEM window stay that enables the window to be propped open and secures the window when closed. I installed the hardware because it locks the window in place preventing the window stay from falling out if the wind were to blow the window open.

I used hardware similar to this....

One RV Window Emergency Escape Latch C3 | eBay

Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Very nice mod to the rear window. I did something very similar and fabricated a removable window screen, but also added OEM window stay that enables the window to be propped open and secures the window when closed. I installed the hardware because it locks the window in place preventing the window stay from falling out if the wind were to blow the window open.

I used hardware similar to this....

One RV Window Emergency Escape Latch C3 | eBay

Regards...
Nice, was thinking along those lines too but was not sure how to make it practical on my window/frame set-up. Will take another look-see.
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #627

I did need to make minor cuts in the frame to allow for the stay to be installed. Used a dremmel to make the cuts and was surprised as to how easy it was to install, and how well it came out.

Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
This was my latest project for the ACE...drawers to access storage under the benches. They work great...and allow easy access to the bench without messing with the cushions and seat cover.

Basically the drawers are a box that rides on roller ball bearings on the ground. The two rollers at the front are mounted upside-down on the floor and the back ones are mounted to the bottom of the drawer facing down. The drawer is built to have extensions on the side that ride along the channel made out of 1x2 and the top piece overhands to hold from tipping out. The right one is much easier..no mods required. The left one required that I move the electrical box to mount it on the back of the bench. Also had to use a few washers and shims to balance out the rollers and guides because of how they roll on the floor and slide access cover. Because of the access hatch...i only used screws and numbered the boards so to take it out...just unscrew all the supports and lift out drawer. Just make sure nothing catches any wires. Secure everything out of the way. I even made one drawer cut off so that odd shaped things fit. The opening for the drawer is much wider than the drawer itself.

Attachment 65046

Attachment 65047

Attachment 65048

Attachment 65050

Same project, added an outlet under the bench...so that I could mount and power the Dyson Digital Slim vac on the slide by bench. Now completely out of sight and always plugged in.

Attachment 65051

Attachment 65052
This is probably my favorite mod!
I dislike how we need to take the cushions and boards off to access the space below the booth seats. It's such a pain, we rarely store anything in there. But it is such a large amount of space.

I have next to no carpentry skills or I would give it a shot.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #629

Thor Owners Club
Has anyone made mod's to the pull out pantry on the 27.1? I have added a velcro strip to the top so that it won't pull out on a right turn, but there is so much space that can't be used.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMEKiki View Post
Has anyone made mod's to the pull out pantry on the 27.1? I have added a velcro strip to the top so that it won't pull out on a right turn, but there is so much space that can't be used.
I had the dealer install a second catch (like the one on the bottom) at the top of the pantry, so far it has not opened unless asked to.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote