Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
Has anyone replaced the bedroom vent fan with a 2nd a/c in their ACE? If so, was the ceiling/roof already reinforced to handle the added weight? Thanks
I have done this mod. Had the original unit moved to the rear bedroom and installed a 15000btu up front. Rear unit has power run across the ceiling, through the cabinets and down into the large storage bay in the back. Seperate controls on the unit itself. No roof reinforcements needed. It has a seperate plug in the storage bay that gets plugged into the pedestal at the parks. Since it is seperate from the main bus breaker panel, I can plug it in at the house without tripping the 15 amp breaker in the garage. It only draws 7 or 8 amps, and keeps the MH cool while parked in the driveway.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Any problem with popping breakers? Those heaters draw a lot of amps.
No, we've never had a breaker trip while electric heater was running. We even run microwave or toaster while it's running with no problems. I use the outlet under the table, it must be a separate circuit. I believe my heater pulls 10 amp.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #675

Quote:
Thanks, Torchini. Appreciate the info. Is your ACE a 30.1?
Ours is a 29.2. Having the 2nd AC unit has been great. I helped my buddy do the same modification on his new Fleetwood Storm this past weekend. He had cabinets similar to mine so we had a good way to get the power down to the underside of the coach. You can never have enough AC!
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #676

I have a 27.1 with the 15K AC unit it seems to be plenty for this rig. Pulls it down from 110 Deg to bearable in about 15 min and hits 78 Deg in about 25 (a little longer if in direct sun). I did think I needed more air circulation when the AC is not called for, so I moved the fan from the bedroom to the dining area, and Installed new fan in the bedroom (reversible / remote / auto with thermostat)
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #677

Ok, here are the pics of my generator blower installation. I threw this together to see if it would work, now that I've proven it really helps, I will redo it and make it more permanent.

I started with an in line boat bilge blower, mounted it up front where it can get some clean air coming in. From there, I routed the 3" flex hose up high in the left front wheel well, extending into some black 2.5" PVC pipe. From there I routed it behind the mud flap, down and under the genny. I drilled a bunch of holes in the pipe under the front side of the genny to force cooler air into that cavity. I wired the blower to my genny fuel pump switch, so I hit 1 switch and everything goes. Now that I know it works, I want to spend time and make the pipe routing a little nicer, I nee the wheel off to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	77020  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #678

Here is the 2.5" pipe under the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	77021  
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #679

Before when I ran this thing from SLC to Moab, I could not touch the knobs on the genny once we got to Moab (4 hours). Tested this yesterday again, ran it 6 hours non stop, pulled in the driveway, opened the compartment door and the genny was warm from running, but you could touch it easily, no problem. The outer door was a little warm, but not hot like it used to be, a big difference, a lot less heat. That blower moves a lot of air, so depending on the holes and size holes you drill, you can customize it to your liking.

Crazy we need to do modifications like this to make something work. I got the idea from a friend who has a similar issue with his newer Fleetwood. He did the same modification, was easier than cutting the door and doing a color match on a vent with his custom paint.

He went a step further, he has two blowers, the first one cools the area by bring in forced fresh air from up front. His 2nd blower actually pipes air right into the input vent of the genny. Given he uses his in the Las Vegas area all summer, he needs the extra airflow.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #680

Tiffin Owners Club
Holy crap Thorchini. That is awesome. NICE WORK ! ! ! I'd like to see it all again once you get it affixed permanently (wheel well etc). Would you mind explaining how you got power (hard to tell by picture) and what you paid for the blower? Do you have a switch in the cockpit to turn on/off or does it come on/off with the operation of the gen set?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #681

I paid around $40.00 for the blower, and $25.00 for all the additional parts (PVC, connectors, hose, stuff).

I have a switch on the dash that powers the push pump I installed a few months back. I wired the hot wire of the blower to that switch so they both turn on when I hit the switch. The ground I ran to the frame, there was a bolt right there, so it was easy.

With the push pump I installed, the genny never dies while in use, but it was still getting super hot in the middle of the summer while travelling. I was more concerned with melting my exterior door or warping it.

The entire installation start to finish took me 90 minutes. it's actually done nice enough I could leave it, but I want it to look perfect, and mount the tube and blower properly, everything is tie wrapped now. I'll redo it in the spring. With the wheel off, it will be much easier. My neighbor has a bunch of delivery trucks, so I'll have his tire guy come over when I am ready to pull the wheel. I just put it away for the winter, will pull it out again in March for the Vegas Nascar race. I got talked into doing that again. My liver hurts just thinking about that week inside the race track.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #682

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Thorchini. That gives me an insight to what it may cost me and what to expect labor wise. Do you think you should post your write up in the "ACE Generator Stops running - CODE 36" thread also?
I was reluctant putting a push pump on mine due to the possibility of "forcing" it to run when it was far to hot, causing more problems long term. This might be the answer I was looking for....the answer AND support I never got from Thor. I am still pursuing my problems, possibly thru legal matters. As I mentioned in an earlier post, coming through Needles, CA this last summer with 115 degrees outside, the dash AC fell FAR SHORT of keepinig the coach cool....and obviously, the genset was a total waste.

Wish I was closer, would love to see this close up and personal. Thanks for your time/post, it's very much appreciated.

Don
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #683

Thor Owners Club
Unhappy

Torchini; great work on the blower! I haven't gone that far yet, but based on the "generator Code 36" thread, I've installed a switched push pump, heat shield around the genny, and a vent in the genny door. All mods were done by a Thor-authorized repair center under warranty. In fact, I just got it back, after 7 weeks in the shop, last Friday. Don't know if everything done will change things since I haven't taken it out on a trip yet, but fingers crossed 😳.

Anyhoo, I live in Las Vegas, so when you're out here in March for NASCAR at the Speedway, give me a shout. I'm 20 minutes from the track, and know some AWESOME places (not on the Strip) for dinner. We can compare notes on how helpful Thor has been. My email is rvpapaw@gmail.com
rvpapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #684

I installed some front speakers in my ACE 27.1. Though it would have been a lot easier to put them in the dash, DW did not want them there, so they are in the compartments above the driver's and passenger seats:
I installed crossovers:

mounted speakers (6X9s for bass & 5 1/4s for mid & tweet) in veneered plywood:

and mounted them at an angle in the top of the compartments:

I still need to hide the wires a little better and re-attach the bungees for the nets.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #685

Quote:
Torchini; great work on the blower! I haven't gone that far yet, but based on the "generator Code 36" thread, I've installed a switched push pump, heat shield around the genny, and a vent in the genny door. All mods were done by a Thor-authorized repair center under warranty. In fact, I just got it back, after 7 weeks in the shop, last Friday. Don't know if everything done will change things since I haven't taken it out on a trip yet, but fingers crossed ��.

Anyhoo, I live in Las Vegas, so when you're out here in March for NASCAR at the Speedway, give me a shout. I'm 20 minutes from the track, and know some AWESOME places (not on the Strip) for dinner. We can compare notes on how helpful Thor has been. My email is rvpapaw@gmail.com
Sounds good, I'll keep in touch when the date comes closer. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
I installed some front speakers in my ACE 27.1. Though it would have been a lot easier to put them in the dash, DW did not want them there, so they are in the compartments above the driver's and passenger seats:
I installed crossovers:

mounted speakers (6X9s for bass & 5 1/4s for mid & tweet) in veneered plywood:

and mounted them at an angle in the top of the compartments:

I still need to hide the wires a little better and re-attach the bungees for the nets.
Sorry, I don't see your pics. I'm interested in this mod also..