Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #813

Made some mods lately to improve the audio in 27.1.
- Added front speakers in the dash (thanks to others who posted their solution)
---- We can now hear the stereo while driving down the road
- Upgraded stereo from crappy Axxera to Kenwood DNX570TR
---- Has RV/Truck Garmin Nav software
---- Can't tell you how much better the new unit sounds over the Axxera!!
---- Can now adjust the volume while the camera is on - HUGE improvement!
- Installed/mounted a PC speaker system I had lying around to improve sound from main TV
---- Going to try this out on our upcoming trip. If works well, I'll replace PC system with a quality soundbar

To give credit where due, here's a link to the guys I copied for the speaker install:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/late...ml#post2009722
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/spea...nt-213323.html

Hoping my pics are uploaded to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2731.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	98671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	98672  

Name:	IMG_2790.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	98673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	98674  

tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #814

How did you connect the Kenwood to the camera input? The specs show RCA connection. My Thor has a different type of connection for camera. Also, does the Ace have side cameras? My Hurricane has three cameras and the Jensen system has inputs for all three.
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #815

My ACE also has 3 cameras (rear, right, and left). There's a video switch somewhere in the dash that feeds just one RCA camera input into the stereo. There's also a wire that comes from the switch to the stereo that tells the stereo when to switch into camera mode.
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #816

After a 5 day trip, I've decided to modify my grey tank so I don't have to empty it every day. This past trip, we were out on the trails a bunch, so getting cleaned up a couple times a day was in order. After looking at my tank, there is a 1/2" bung on the drivers side. I am going to plumb that down so I can connect a hose to it so when the tank get's 1/2 way full, it will start to run out the extra hose to the sewer. Should work bitchin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0920.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	645.6 KB
ID:	98765  
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #817

Here is another picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	98766  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #818

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thorcnini-- I assume that by using your future mod, you are only going to allow your auxiliary hose to empty the gray tank in an environmentally acceptable manner. Forgive me for asking, but why not just open up the gray tank valve if you are going to bypass it anyway?

If you are concerned about having a garden-size hose, there are adapters that you can connect to a standard 3" sewer connector that have a garden-hose outlet: Robot Check

I'm not challenging your approach--just trying to understand why this would be an advantage in your mind/scenario?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Thorcnini-- I assume that by using your future mod, you are only going to allow your auxiliary hose to empty the gray tank in an environmentally acceptable manner. Forgive me for asking, but why not just open up the gray tank valve if you are going to bypass it anyway?

If you are concerned about having a garden-size hose, there are adapters that you can connect to a standard 3" sewer connector that have a garden-hose outlet: Robot Check

I'm not challenging your approach--just trying to understand why this would be an advantage in your mind/scenario?
All this because I have the macerator setup. I have to run that thing every time I want to empty a tank. If I leave the grey valve open, it would only trickle past the impellor, doesn't work well.

I can put this fix in place, and run it to the same sewer cap that the 1.5" hose runs to, so they both drain into the sewer system.

We do a good job of conserving water, but with 4 in the family, it just fills up too fast.

I don't think I would ever buy a RV with the bathroom on the right and a macerator setup again. Gravity flow style is soooo much easier.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #820

I'll post a picture when I get it all done, picture = 1000 words
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #821

Thor Owners Club
Is the Macerator removable? Why the heck did they put it IN the tank? Right side bathrooms are a pain. My 29.3 has right side and the tank is so shallow on that side it pyramids regardless how much water you use to flush.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Is the Macerator removable? Why the heck did they put it IN the tank? Right side bathrooms are a pain. My 29.3 has right side and the tank is so shallow on that side it pyramids regardless how much water you use to flush.
The macerator is outside the tank on the right side. you can disconnect it but your dump would be on the right side. Like I said earlier, I would think twice again about buying a RV with Macerator. Some love them, some hate them.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #823

Thorchini, This is a great idea, i need to take a look at this connection to see what it entails. We also have the issue of filling up the tank daily with showers etc. I like this idea but will of course need a shutoff valve and also need to find a cap for the campground sewer to accept a hose end only as i don't leave the macerator hose connected all the time(only when dumping). A really nice find, thanks for passing it along.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
Thorchini, This is a great idea, i need to take a look at this connection to see what it entails. We also have the issue of filling up the tank daily with showers etc. I like this idea but will of course need a shutoff valve and also need to find a cap for the campground sewer to accept a hose end only as i don't leave the macerator hose connected all the time(only when dumping). A really nice find, thanks for passing it along.

If you want to just connect a bypass hose here, come out of the tank 1/2" to something with a shut off, then to a hose. The sewer cap can be the same as the one for the macerator, all this stuff can be bought at Home Depot. I'll post detailed pictures, but it will be 2 weeks before I can touch this as I'm travelling for work for a few weeks.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #825

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
The macerator is outside the tank on the right side. you can disconnect it but your dump would be on the right side. Like I said earlier, I would think twice again about buying a RV with Macerator. Some love them, some hate them.
That was some pretty crazy thinking on their part. Bummer
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #826

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Ahh yes. I do not have a macerator but am familiar with that skinny little bypass tube (not fair to call it a hose, right?!). It is a design flaw in my opinion. I have heard that the latest generation macerator pumps have an improved bypass design but have not seen them yet?

Now I can appreciate your idea!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote