Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

ACE mods / upgrades

I didn't see a thread pertaining specifically to this. I'm curious to know what mods / upgrades other ACE owners have done or have in the works. If there's already an existing, encompassing thread, please kindly redirect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolland View Post
I didn't see a thread pertaining specifically to this. I'm curious to know what mods / upgrades other ACE owners have done or have in the works. If there's already an existing, encompassing thread, please kindly redirect.
Don't know of a specific thread, but here's what I've done to mine so far: (settle down with a cold drink, this could take a while)

1. Removed couch and installed a computer desk instead. (Just two of us, don't need the extra bed).
2. Bought two comfortable swivel/tilt chairs with footrests to replace couch.
3. Installed 2000 watt Inverter so computer equipment has power on the move.
4. Modified TV bracket so screen is angled downwards for better viewing angle.
5. Rewired coach for 50 amp supply (actually 2x30). Installed hard wired surge protector and voltage regulator. See image below.
6. Installed second AC unit in bedroom.
7. Added Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
8. Installed gas struts on all doors on curb side. Thor apparently think we are too stupid not to move the slide with a door open. However.......
9. Installed switches on all curbside doors with an LED beside the slide switch. No light, no move slide.
10. Installed Cheap Handling Fix. (Search it, plenty of threads describing it).
11. Installed Blue Ox TruCenter steering damper.
12. Installed Wilson Cellphone Amplifier
13. Installed Sirius/XM adapter and antenna.
14. Installed Stay a While adapter to run external propane tanks when parked for the winter.
15. Installed See Level II Tank Monitoring System.
16. Installed Turbo Rinsers on black and grey tanks.

There's probably more, but that's the high points. The ACE is very much an entry level MH, a lot of this list would be standard on a more expensive coach. Feel free to question me about individual items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	1380
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	27650  
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot one:
17. Installed laundry chute: Cut a 6 inch hole in carpeted shelf beside the bed, hinged it and mounted a laundry basket on rails in the mega storage compartment.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

bdickson, The laundry chute is a great idea, I'll be adding one of those. Which gas struts did you purchase? Those are on my list, so tired of holding those doors open with my head

I added a hardwire line from the TV to the dash radio to allow use of the house speakers for watching TV(A/C was too loud to hear tv)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
bdickson, The laundry chute is a great idea, I'll be adding one of those. Which gas struts did you purchase? Those are on my list, so tired of holding those doors open with my head

I added a hardwire line from the TV to the dash radio to allow use of the house speakers for watching TV(A/C was too loud to hear tv)
I bought the gas struts and brackets at Camping World. I don't know the brand, but all the stores carry the same selection. I think they are 17 inch struts. I found the inside of the doors was way too soft to attach the brackets directly. There's a picture of my solution below. The metal plate came from the lumber department of Home Depot, I think its a joist plate. I cut it to shape with tin shears and applied a layer of Liquid Nails construction adhesive and a bunch of short sheet metal screws. This gave me a solid mounting point for the bracket. The bracket at the other end is held on by one of the door frame mounting screws and one new screw.

Question for you: how did you route the wire from the TV to the dash radio?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	27729  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

that is very cool! Would love to see a pic of that laundry shute...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here you go....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	27732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	27733  

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	27734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	27735  

Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Bruce, that is a great mod!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towertime View Post
Bruce, that is a great mod!
Yeah, I got a bucket of attaboys from the DW for that one
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

Question for you: how did you route the wire from the TV to the dash radio?

I havn't done a permanent mount for this wire, although it has stayed for a long time the way i have it. I currently just have it run over the view window, it hangs on the shade then behind the couch under the passenger chair to the radio. It doesn't look nice but it works for now till i figure out how to run it nicely. I could run it under the floor attached to the chassis, but its not worth that effort for me yet.

Thank you for the detail on the door i was wondering if those foam doors would support that stress.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #11

How did you install surge/voltage regulator in storage compartment?
iker211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #12

My water pipes make noise when the pump is running. I fixed that, went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of foam pipe insulators (with the slit and adhesive applied), and proceded to cover all water pipes, hot and cold. Now when the pump runs, it's quiet, no more banging and rattling. I think it cost me around $14.00 to do the entire coach. They are about 5' long, cut them to fit, you need about 8 of them. Easy upgrade and the noise is gone. Takes about 15 minutes.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #13

The next upgrade will be how to add another tank for Grey water, and double my capacity. That existing tank is seriously too small. I looked underneith, and I think I can fab up brackets to get another tank under there. Spring project...

The 2.5gph water pump needs an upgrade to a 30 or a 3.5 gpm at a minimum. That's a $50.00 fix
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
With regards to the Audio from TV to Stereo, I used a wireless Bluetooth transmitter. Don't remember exactly how much, but it was under $50 all in, and no wires. There is a little deal you plug into back of tv and its counter part you plug into front stereo. Its pretty idiot proof.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote