Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
ACE propane regulator problems

Just wanted to pass along a propane issue I had today. Started the furnace because the temp is in the singles this week (Ace is in the shed) and went back out later and the furnace was not on. Started it again and it lit but shut off in 5 minutes. Propane tank at 3/4 full so I know that's not the problem. Try the stove and it lights but goes out shortly. First thought is flame sensor but it did stay lit for 5 minutes and the stove has issues too so that's not it. Then started thinking the regulator like my bbq grill sometimes gets blocked. So I shut tank off and burned all gas in line off. Started it again and it worked so far. I'll check in the morning.

Questions: is there a screen that can clog?
Can the orfice freeze up and block line?
Can the regulator be over pressurized? Right now I going with that!

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

Cold temp can cause a regulator to not work proper. Our forklift and LP lawnmower have real issues in cold weather.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

I'm having similar problems in my new MH. Stove would not stay lit this morning (outside temp high 30s), other times the furnace keeps shutting down. Running the hair dryer on the propane regulator for a few minutes solves the problem. I think the combination of the cold outside air and the evaporation of the propane causes the regulator to freeze up (the temperature of the propane drops when the liquid in the tank converts to a gas). I'm not quite sure what is the best way to eliminate the problem. My regulator is brand new, it may be possible to inject antifreeze into the tank? Does anyone have a permanent solution to this problem? My home in New Hampshire has a outside propane tank/regulator which is filled several times a year and has never had this problem.
eng-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Update: since I burnt off the gas down stream of the regulator the furnace has worked fine through this cold streak. Not sure why but hopefully the obstruction got out for good.

Eng-RV- try turning off your tank and try letting the stove use up what's left in the line. Maybe new tanks have a few drops of water. I'm only on my second tank of propane.

Russel- stop mowing the lawn in the middle of winter. Your showing up your Corn-Soybeans-and Florida neighbors!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

ACE propane regulator problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Update: since I burnt off the gas down stream of the regulator the furnace has worked fine through this cold streak. Not sure why but hopefully the obstruction got out for good.

Eng-RV- try turning off your tank and try letting the stove use up what's left in the line. Maybe new tanks have a few drops of water. I'm only on my second tank of propane.

Russel- stop mowing the lawn in the middle of winter. Your showing up your Corn-Soybeans-and Florida neighbors!

Well Steve glad it's working for you now.

I could tell you I have a snow blade on mower--not so lol--the mower has an oil line from the crankcase of the mower that is designed to keep the regulator from frosting up. ?? Not sure how that would work as oil is just as cold.

I have real issues with my LP forklift in an unheated barn. But I only move mower around now & then. No need to mow the frozen bean field. Lol

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like your regulator had a bit of water in the line and froze. Your solution of shutting it off and burning off the lines probably helped purge the moisture. Propane is also mixed differently between summer and winter. When did you fill the tanks?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Interesting...i had this happen when camping recently and it was VERY cold. The furnace would try to run but not get heat...and just blow cold air and then go off. Then the stove would not stay lit as well as the oven. That is a major problem when the gas is running and nothing is lit. My wife and i were there when she was cooking and we smelled a bit of gas...check the oven, and it was not lit (but still ON). I tried to re-light and it worked. Very strange and pretty dangerous.

Does that sound like a regulator freezing? or something in the line? also is the regulator outside where gas line comes out of tank?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Yep! Shut your propane valve off and burn off the gas with the stove. Then slowly open propane valve and try burners again. I don't start the furnace, refridgerator or oven till the stove has positive gas pressure and lights.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Yep! Shut your propane valve off and burn off the gas with the stove. Then slowly open propane valve and try burners again. I don't start the furnace, refridgerator or oven till the stove has positive gas pressure and lights.
Yes, I will do that for sure. I do the same...i have noticed the fridge doesn't like it when I just turn on gas and then turn it on. I usually burn the stove to make sure I have good flame on all burners before flipping on fridge.

What is weird is that I never did that this last time and eventually it just worked. Either way good to know there is a possible cause and way to fix. When the flame goes out and gas is on...that is just BAD!
thnx
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Questions: is there a screen that can clog?
Can the orfice freeze up and block line?
Can the regulator be over pressurized? Right now I going with that!

Steve
No
Yes, if there is moisture in the system Plus it can get clogged with oil that sometimes accompanies the Propane
NO

In that order

One additional thing: Some propane stores do not actually sell propane, Oh they advertise Propane, The bill you for Propane, but what they sell is Butane.

SO, what is the difference?

Propane is good to nearly -40 degrees (your choice of C or F)

Butane, burns just a bit hotter but if water freezes, it's not much good since it will remain liquid, and you can not burn a liquid. It has to vaporize first.

Tags
propane