RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Ace Radio/Camera Problem

All of a sudden neither working in our 2014 27.1 (yes, house batteries in 'USE' position).
Radio's fuse in the BCC is OK.
All other electrical (12 & 120V) working fine.
Anyone know if there is another fuse or relay somewhere, or...?
Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!!

millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
All of a sudden neither working in our 2014 27.1 (yes, house batteries in 'USE' position).
Radio's fuse in the BCC is OK.
All other electrical (12 & 120V) working fine.
Anyone know if there is another fuse or relay somewhere, or...?
Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!!
Forgot to add: It's a Jensen radio

Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Sounds like upgrade time.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we just had ours replaced...new i 2013''''dead in 2015
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Sounds like upgrade time.
Thanks EricGT & lenkerb!
If I can't solve this, your replacement suggestions seem the next alternative.
Any suggestions re: what unit would be a functional, & technically compatible, upgrade/repl'mt?
In uncharted waters here re: knowledge about installing a new radio/camera combo & insuring that everything ends up fitting right & performing properly.
If not plug & play, I'm quite willing to pay a pro.
Thanks Again!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

You don't say what model, but if it's the 212, there have been some issues with blank/unresponsive touch screens. If you're under warranty, you could get it replaced, otherwise you're in the market for a new radio. I don't think Jensen makes the 212 anymore, but the replacement looks nice with better features. If you don't like Jensen, the problem is finding another radio with 3 camera functionality as there may only be 1 or 2 others available. One of them has been "chronicled" in the forums. There are many other options if you choose a single camera input radio. There are also ways to "upgrade" the single input radio for multiple cameras, but it requires additional components and an understanding of electronics to wire it. There is information on this site which can help for the latter.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Might be a fuse on back of radio or in power line
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
Might be a fuse on back of radio or in power line
Gremlins at work.
Got my wire loop pullers & went to the RV to pull it out this morning & check that fuse. Just for grins I threw the battery into 'Use' on came the radio/camera.
Go figure.
Thanks for all the input.
Something tells me I will be revisiting this issue.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Gremlins at work.
Got my wire loop pullers & went to the RV to pull it out this morning & check that fuse. Just for grins I threw the battery into 'Use' on came the radio/camera.
Go figure.

On my daybreak the house battery powers the radio and back up cam. And there is a fuse in line off the back of the unit
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #10

I too wish there were more alternatives that use the 3 camera function. There was a thread in here a couple months ago, but it was a $1K upgrade.
I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money quite yet. But the touch screen 'function' of the Jensen is more of a driving hazard than a convenience.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
On my daybreak the house battery powers the radio and back up cam. And there is a fuse in line off the back of the unit
Yes, same on our Ace - learned that one early on - why it is not designed to be also powered by the chassis battery is a curiosity to me.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I too wish there were more alternatives that use the 3 camera function. There was a thread in here a couple months ago, but it was a $1K upgrade.
I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money quite yet. But the touch screen 'function' of the Jensen is more of a driving hazard than a convenience.
Amen.
As driver I practically have to come out of the seat to reach it & then my wizened old peepers are off the road too long. Co-pilot can't see functions very well due to the position in the dash & the screen angle toward the driver & so, unless a yoga expert, has same problem reaching the thing as the driver - the inconsistent touch pads & involved process of function are annoying at best. Not to mention the lousy reception near power lines & various popping noises. Otherwise a nice feature.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Gremlins at work.
Go figure.
Update:
Sure enough, it happened again & again the house battery was in "Use" position. This time we pushed in the reset & it came to life a little, but only got sound & only on the last station we had it on- no other functionality - not even able to change channel & everything was black on screen. Pushed reset repeated times & would get various flashes on screen but nothing more. Disconnected house battery (switched to 'Store' position) and drove about 30 minutes to next destination. Hit the battery "Use" and still the radio/camera was kaput. Turned battery off again & drove 3 hours to next destination, turned battery to "Use" again, & bingo, it came back to life. No idea what's going on.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Throwing options out there in case you need it.

Mine came with the Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, and I have 3 cameras. I don't know if they have some sort of external box to control it or what.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P1...s=avh-p1400dvd

Mine had trouble with the rear camera when one of my house batteries was bad. Now with the new batteries, everything is fine again.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camera, radio