Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Adding a faster charger to my Challenger 37TB

After 8 weeks of dry camping and using our onboard generator about 5 hours a day, I noticed that the batteries don't seem to charge as well as I thought. I have the 1800 Xantrex Pro on board with a built in charger. Can I add a separate charger and will that help. Most days my batteries would reach 12.8 volts as indicated on my readout panel.

Thanks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont believe that your inverter has a built in charger.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was basing my question on this extract from the manual "The converter/inverter also operates as a battery charger when it is connected to
a 120V power source. If the battery is below its full charge, the converter/inverter
charger will begin operation at a rate that reflects the level of discharge. When the
battery is again fully charged, the converter charger drops its charging level back to a
maintenance level to keep the battery fully charged.".

Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just did a search on the "Xantrex 1800 Pro" and the inverter that the search provided does not appear to have a charging section. Perhaps you have a different inverter.

Xantrex® 806-1810 - Xm1800 Pro Series Inverter 1800 Watt
Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

In any case, yes, you can add a charger.

It would be no different than adding solar, that controller is a battery charger.

IOTA make good inexpensive automatic chargers.

I sometimes run my IOTA 55 amp charger, a 20 amp charger, along with 675 watts of solar, thru a MPPT 60 controller, at the same time to get my large bank up.

As the voltage rises, all of the charging sources automatically cut back, so there is no danger of overcharging.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
twinboat - thank you. I believe the charger currently is only a 20 AMP, so that is why it is so slow. In your experience, can I simply wire the charger into the shore power (rather being provided by the generator or 55 amp service) then feed that to the battery bank?

Again, thanks for the input.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Sure you could simply plug it in to the power post, if that's what you mean.

I would find or install a receptacle near the batteries to plug it in to. That way it works from generator or 50 amp power cord.

You just CAN NOT plug it into the inverter or any receptcals powered by it. It will kill the batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks.