Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are levelers worth their cost?

My 29 D Hurricane is not equipped with levelers. The rocking is not to bad because of the rather short overhang in the rear. What I don't like is the side to side motion when people go to either side of the unit.

I had Camping World to spec out a manual leveling system for me, and the came in with over $3000 installed. That is about 10% of the current value of the unit. Are levelers worth the investment?

Are there any cheaper versions around an places that take less money for installation? Would scissor jacks work?

What do you guys recommend I should do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Scissor jacks will make the coach stable but they will not level. You would have to level first then put the jacks down for stability. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Hopes this helps.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
Scissor jacks will make the coach stable but they will not level. You would have to level first then put the jacks down for stability. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Hopes this helps.
Thanks for your input. I guess I have to Google a little around to see what is available.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even levelers should not level in drastic situations. They only do so much w/o stressing your frame. Stability could be obtained in a number of more inexpensive ways.

Any one having levelers/stabilizers is glasd to have them but it would be thought provoking to spend three grand for the priveledge.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

comfort is everything... i would put one in. sleeping on unlevel ground once in while is one thing... but it can get old fast.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
comfort is everything... i would put one in. sleeping on unlevel ground once in while is one thing... but it can get old fast.
I level the MH, but in the old fashion way by driving onto stepped leveling blocks. Thus the sleeping on uneven ground is no problem. The major problem is the side to side rocking when laying in bed an my wife or the dogs (big dogs) are walking around in the thing.

It is a pita to level with the step blocks, but I can live with that. I just wonder whether it is worth the $3k investment (about 10% of the current value of the entire unit) to prevent the rocking, or if more economical means are available that are not to complicated or even a bigger pita.

Would it be a viable option to use four 4 ton (or heavier) hydraulic car jacks to do some kind of manual stabilization (and even leveling)? What would be the difference for the chassis between being leveled with hydraulic pistons that either push down (as it is with the installed systems), or push up, as it would be with car jacks?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

In my opinion the answer is yes, levelers are worth the expense. When we were shopping for our MH not having levelers was a deal breaker for us. I enjoy the stability when we are in the coach, there is no bouncing around, and no wobble side-to-side.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll obviously have to decide if the cost is worth it but be very careful. Leveling systems are fairly sophisticated and designed for the specific coach. You could cause more problems than you solve if you start torqueing the frame improperly. For example, my coach has four leveling jacks but only the rear jacks are used to adjust the side-to-side level. The front jacks just support the front end at the set height and auto-balance from side-to-side.

I'm sure it is possible to install an aftermarket system that works though. Have you checked with your manufacturer to see what they recommend? Did they offer jacks as an option on your coach?

For me, levelers exceptionally important because we travel a lot. If we were going one place and staying long periods though I could probably live with blocks and some sort of stabilization jack system as used on a lot of towables.

Good luck!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #9

Interesting thread. As I type this, I am literally sitting at Quadra Bigfoot Jacks in Michigan getting a system installed. We have a Forest River Sunseeker class C. We had the exact same issue as you. Leveling could be done easily enough. But, in our case, the kids were causing the unit to rock as they moved around (especially when they were in the cabover bed when we were in the back bed - note we have a 31 ft unit which is big for a class C which means a long overhang past the rear wheel). It is expensive. I wrestled with it for awhile as you are doing. I figured we hope to keep the unit for awhile. So it's only X dollars per year or trip. Then, at the end, we will either get a little extra on resale or it will be a more attractive unit for resale (maybe more so in a class C vs A as they are not too common on C's). I know what you are going through - good luck with your decision!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had six motorhomes. The first was without levelers. Needless to say the next five had levelers. Wouldn't leave home without them.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

U could use sissor jacks to keep stable, if you have ground clearance u can perment mount them to the frame, after you level with blocks use a drill with a socket to lower the jacks to keep it stable, a bit of a pain in the butt but cheap way. I do think that if you put hyd leveller in you would get your money back when it comes time to sell you mh.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Interesting thread. As I type this, I am literally sitting at Quadra Bigfoot Jacks in Michigan getting a system installed. We have a Forest River Sunseeker class C. We had the exact same issue as you. Leveling could be done easily enough. But, in our case, the kids were causing the unit to rock as they moved around (especially when they were in the cabover bed when we were in the back bed - note we have a 31 ft unit which is big for a class C which means a long overhang past the rear wheel). It is expensive. I wrestled with it for awhile as you are doing. I figured we hope to keep the unit for awhile. So it's only X dollars per year or trip. Then, at the end, we will either get a little extra on resale or it will be a more attractive unit for resale (maybe more so in a class C vs A as they are not too common on C's). I know what you are going through - good luck with your decision!
would you mind sharing the cost of your install with us? I understand if you dont want to.
thank you
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
You really need to fully assess how you use your rig. If you stay put in one place for a great number of days the time spent leveling and then applying jacks for stability are just a fraction of your trip time. But if you are on the go a lot you'll wear yourself out with this chore. Being automatic gives you a little spontanueity to your travel.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Well as others have said, I wouldn't have a MH without one. Not only for the stability but the comfort. It is very rare that I don't need to level, even when you think the slab is!
Also I like to keep the weight off my tires when it's parked at home.
I didn't see if you had slides but I never extend my large one without being level.
Only if you don't plan to keep for a few more years would I not- and I would be looking for one with levelers now.
Darlene
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote