Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #1

on my speeedo i have a mode called average MPG.. I was wondering is this like my prius with a average for a tank or is this just what i am getting at that moment. I have seen some people that indicate that they are getting this as milage since new a certian milage but are they using this number because of of paper and pencil or is there a way to get it from the gages
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #2

on my speeedo i have a mode called average MPG.. I was wondering is this like my prius with a average for a tank or is this just what i am getting at that moment. I have seen some people that indicate that they are getting this as milage since new a certian milage but are they using this number because of of paper and pencil or is there a way to get it from the gages
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

hi Chuck i just read my owners manuel and in it it showes the diferent settings for fule milage
you can see current gph or average mpg over the last 50 miles.it will also give you the range left in your tank.

toad:2007 honda crv
larry penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same thing in my Toyota 4-runner. It really helps in towing. I'll reset it at a start of a trip. Every 10-15 seconds it will give me a running MPG reading. From that I have experimented slowing down to the 56-59 MPH range and going to a mid-grade gas. Those two things have given me a 1-1/2 MPG better milage. (12 to 12.5 mpg)Unless I have a big headwind going I can keep the tach in the 1800 range. If I see a approaching hill or grade I'll speed up slowly to 62-64 and as soon as my speed starts to dip going up the grade I will pop the tranny out of overdrive to 4th. After cresting the grade and getting back to the 56-58 mph range I will pop her back into overdrive.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superslif:
I have the same thing in my Toyota 4-runner. It really helps in towing. I'll reset it at a start of a trip. Every 10-15 seconds it will give me a running MPG reading. From that I have experimented slowing down to the 56-59 MPH range and going to a mid-grade gas. Those two things have given me a 1-1/2 MPG better milage. (12 to 12.5 mpg)Unless I have a big headwind going I can keep the tach in the 1800 range. If I see a approaching hill or grade I'll speed up slowly to 62-64 and as soon as my speed starts to dip going up the grade I will pop the tranny out of overdrive to 4th. After cresting the grade and getting back to the 56-58 mph range I will pop her back into overdrive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are not alone!!!!!
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #6

Hey Chuck, I use my average to help me gauge what kind of milage I am getting, but have to use the pencil to calculate the exact figure.

I run about 1 MPH less than the digital read out but with the pencil, I figure in ideling while doing what ever, a little generator run time and so on.

I get somewhere between 6.5 up to 7.6 on an average. Yes, I have not gotten over 7.6! Usually tow my little Ranger or pull the golf cart, do not take long long trips and with all said, belive my RV is doing fine.

Now, I use the digital read out to get my best milage under the circumstances. I have also found that I could speep up under certain circumstances and get a little better milage. Guess the engine was in a little pull.

Use the calculator to figure the money and use the fancy read out to help you get the best results at the pump. They are an acurate reading of what is happening, just not exact in the number as a published average.