RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

Awning Sensor

We have a Tuscany 2013 XTE with an awning with a wind sensor. We would like to leave the awning out but if the wind blows the right way it will auto retract. We would love to leave the awning out with a sun guard on it but my concern is if I put a sun guard on it and tie the awning down should the awning sense to come in and retracts while tied down it would burn the motor out. My question is do you turn the senser off and if so how do you do that. I have looked for a switch but can`t see one inside the coach. I have called Thor but they do not seem to know either. it is a Carefree awning but haven`t had any luck finding a phone number for them. I must say that we love our coach and the service I have gotten from Thor is the best.
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE 2013 MKX Toad

Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

I have the same setup on our Tuscany and I plan to buy a small 12v rocker switch and install it in the cover plate of the sensor to turn the power on/off. When I attach the sunguard I will prop up the end of the awning with adjustable tent poles and secure the base of the sunguard to the ground. Not sure if it will work or not it that's the plan.

JEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
I have the same setup on our Tuscany and I plan to buy a small 12v rocker switch and install it in the cover plate of the sensor to turn the power on/off. When I attach the sunguard I will prop up the end of the awning with adjustable tent poles and secure the base of the sunguard to the ground. Not sure if it will work or not it that's the plan.
Thanks for the response the adjustable tent poles are a great idea. I did`nt like the idea of tieing down the awning with out any support I was afraid of putting too much pressure on it. I love the idea of a switch to be able to turn on and off. Please let me know how it works out in the mean time I will call Thor and get there input.

Ken
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too am interested in a switch to turn off the wind sensor.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

saw a Madalay(half-sister to the Tuscany and Palazzo) that solved this problem
by not attaching the 'sunguard' or privacy screen directly to the awning...
they used three 6'-7' poles, driven into the ground directly under the edge of the awning, and mounted their screen to this. This way the auto retract can still function properly in high-wind, but not effect the sunscreen.
while this might not seem the easiest option for short stays, it's certainly a quality idea for long terms. This might work for you and you won't have to worry about messing with the wind sensor.
On our 2014 Palazzo 33.3, we purchased the carefree sun/privacy screen that just slides into the awnings 'accessory' slot, and it rolls up right with the awning when I leave. I usually use tie downs during the stay to keep it from blowing in the wind too much, and those tiedowns also help keep the main awning from moving as much as well.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
Have you solved the problem. Did your idea of the switch work out ok. I haven`t had time to look further into this
. But hoping to call thor tomorrow and question them on this. Despite what other people may say I have had great service every time I have called. Will post what ever I find out.
Thanks
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE 2013 MKX Toad

Tags
awning