Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Axis Owner

Greetings, we are new owners of the new Axis 24.1 MH. We looked at FR3's, Aces and Mercedes based small motor homes, but the Axis was the best fit for us in terms of layout, storage AND price! It's a splendid thing when your fav unit IS also the least expensive- that never happens!

We are taking her out on a one-month maiden voyage to AZ and CA. If you are interested in the Axis, follow along and I will provide some comments and and photos.

Axis1
Axis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck safe trip.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I just saw the Axis for the first time last weekend and I loved it! Interested in hearing about your trip and your impressions of the coach in action on the road.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Those RUV's (Vegas and Axis) are very exciting new concepts in the RV biz. Obviously better than a Class C, but not too big like a Class A could be. And being on a proven E Series stripped chassis, will be easy to operate and maintain.

I look forward to hearing all about it.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Congratulations! I would be interested in your mpg as the Axis has the 2valve v10 rather than the 3 valve v10 on the Ace we are getting. Good Luck and safe travels!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats and welcome to irv2.com . I recently saw the similar Vegas at the Chantilly, VA RV show. Very nice unit. I believe the differences between the Axis and Vegas are mostly cosmetic. They both look sharp. Please post picks and your impressions after a few trips.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Thanks for your replies and good morning from Butte, MT a brisk 22 degrees. We survived the first night just fine, we were warm and comfy in the twin beds. FWIW, I am 6'4" and fit in ok in the bed, but glad not taller.

Our first day, these first timer MH'ers (but not first time RV'ers) left CDA, ID and headed east to our first stop at Walmart in Butte. We are pulling a 14' cargo trailer with a light load now, but will be picking up our Canam Maverick that is presently stored in AZ. Trailer pulled wonderfully, didnt even know it was back there.

First impression is that the Axis is awesome, everything is working as expected as we are learning what does what. The BEST part so far are the positive comments from DW, she likes the Axis much, much better than our previous toy hauler.

I will post more details later, now its time to roll out.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis1 View Post
Thanks for your replies and good morning from Butte, MT a brisk 22 degrees. We survived the first night just fine, we were warm and comfy in the twin beds. FWIW, I am 6'4" and fit in ok in the bed, but glad not taller. Our first day, these first timer MH'ers (but not first time RV'ers) left CDA, ID and headed east to our first stop at Walmart in Butte. We are pulling a 14' cargo trailer with a light load now, but will be picking up our Canam Maverick that is presently stored in AZ. Trailer pulled wonderfully, didnt even know it was back there. First impression is that the Axis is awesome, everything is working as expected as we are learning what does what. The BEST part so far are the positive comments from DW, she likes the Axis much, much better than our previous toy hauler. I will post more details later, now its time to roll out.
Pls check email. Thks
Luvrkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

Axis - 10 days

Hi, we are now enjoying day 10 in our nex Axis 24.1 Currently in Lk. Havasu enjoying desert riding with the CanAm Maverick.

We are finding the Axis is fitting our needs and expectations quite well- no mechanical problems or build quality issues so far.

Impressions:

Pros:
- love the small size. very maneuverable in parking lots, refueling, etc. Because of small size, confident we will use more often vs. just for destination camping trips (i.e. use more like a van for day trips or transporting friends and family).
- although a small 25 ft. coach, the floor plan is well designed and provides separation of space
- love, love the pivoting bathroom wall. The large open area for the bath and dressing area is the DW favorite feature.
- like the twin bed setup, for extra comfort, am using the twin bed air mattress on one of them. Works great.
- the ipod hookup is nice for playing music or listening to audio books while driving.
- HD tv reception is very good with antenna (even when left down)
- good storage inside and out (see kitchen pantry below)
- gas heater works great! We stayed in low 20's temps and were very comfortable (thankfully). Haven't used a/c yet.
- much less fatiguing to drive than our p/u toy hauler rig setup.
- low to ground and no ext. step to mess with.
- good performance, plenty of power pulling hills. Runs great on cruise control.
- 3 cameras are nice.

Cons:
- limited kitchen storage, a pantry would be nice, but it's workable
- shower is ok, but small. If in a park with decent showers, or staying with friends, we opt for "real" shower.
- hoping for better mpg

Happy with our purchase- yes!

MPG. OK, here's what I know so far. We have only driven approx. 1,600 miles and that was pulling a 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer. Most of the time we were driving through mountains with elevations from 4-8,000 ft. Our mpg ranged from mid 8's to high 9's. How much the trailer affected mileage is unknown. We experienced everything from mtn. passes, windy conditions and back roads. Yes, speed does affect mpg and driving around 60-65 mph yielded better results (vs. 65-70). I expect after engine break-in and not pulling the trailer, we'll see 10+ mpg.

Beds. I personally slept in all the beds to try them out. My fav are the twins. The couch bed with air mattress is quite acceptable for guests and easy to set up, The twin bed bunk, is very sturdy and comfortable with supplied air mattress. This coach can easily sleep 5 if need be. We are looking forward to taking our grand children out in it.

Having 3 tv's in a small coach is crazy, but we've used them all. The outside tv is a nice touch and is perfect for tailgating, while BBQ, or while enjoying fresh air.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Thanks Axis1, please keep the information coming!

Nice floorplan and size of rig!

I'm interested in boondocking in a few years, and will be interested in hearing how the ground clearance of this unit works out.

At 5'7" the beds and shower should be plenty big for me!

It's your thread ... if you want to elaborate more on Axis vs. FR3 vs. Mercedes I'm all ears. How not to keep saying "just a another foot longer" ... and wind up with the 35+ foot battleship?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Great information! My wife and I bought our first RV this past summer (one of those 35 foot battleships - heavily used) to try out the lifestyle on weekends and we love it!! Looking to upgrade to a newer more trustworthy unit but, at the same time, definitely going to downgrade. Having the storage in the big guy is nice but man would I like a little 23-25 foot coach to get maneuverable and frisky in! Sprinter is a bit out of my budget and have been shopping 23-25 foot class C's. The AXIS is definitely on my radar big time. Keep the updates coming! Loving it.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Bed Make-up

Wife wants to know how difficult it is to make -up the single beds. Also, is the A/C ducted?
Thanks!
camphound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp_Woof View Post
Thanks Axis1, please keep the information coming!

Nice floorplan and size of rig!

I'm interested in boondocking in a few years, and will be interested in hearing how the ground clearance of this unit works out.
Yes, the ground clearance is a little low, but that's also a feature for stepping in too. The lowest point is below the door, so you do want to pay attention to what your are doing.

At 5'7" the beds and shower should be plenty big for me!

It's your thread ... if you want to elaborate more on Axis vs. FR3 vs. Mercedes I'm all ears. How not to keep saying "just a another foot longer" ... and wind up with the 35+ foot battleship?
Regarding the FR3 and ACE motor homes, they are overall bigger externally whereas the Axis is smaller and sleeker. I tried to really like the FR3 25DS for the king bed, but the two piece bed setup and dinette-only didn't work for us (vs. the Axis having a decent couch). When comparing the FR3 and ACE's, it seemed we kept getting up to that 30' +/- size, and we just didn't want to go there if we didn't have to.

We looked at various Sprinter based models and the Via/Reyo was our second favorite, but the nation's best price was about $40K higher. No thank you. Savings in fuel will never make up the difference.

If you are interested in the Axis/Vegas, I highly recommend you find them and look at them first hand. I was your typical Internet surfer, and I'll admit that online I wasn't sold on the Axis, but after looking at one, I bought it the next day.

So far we are very happy with it. Yes, it is small and you have to invoke the "one up" rule at times, but overall, it's quite workable for a couple, and for having friends over to visit or dine.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #14

The twin beds are fairly easy to make up. My method is to turn the mattress on it's edge and work it that way then lay it down. We are using an air mattress on one of the twins and it's "very easy" to change according to DW. Being able to stand between the beds is a huge help when changing the twin beds.