Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #169

Thor Owners Club
Axis2, I have not rode in a long time, had both knees replaced in 2009. Which makes it a challenge to straggle a motorcycle. I had a sportster for about 8, 9 yrs. and couple other bikes before that. I want something I can ride on the road like a 150 maybe. Something I can check out the area, go to store, a bicycle just won't cut it. It will probably be next summer before I decide anything. Gives me a chance to do some more research. Good to see others out here that is like minded. Thanks for the feed back and any other ideas or suggestions is so welcome.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #170

Ready, I had a feeling you used to ride. My story may be relevent then. I sold my last motorcycle, a Vstrom 1000, 8 years ago and said I was done. But like you I started thinking about a scooter to compliment this RV without towing. First I looked online to read about all the scooters. But things changed as soon as I stepped inside the dealership. I sat on a scooter and my knees were close together but were also very close to the handlebars which seemed strange to me. When I mentioned that to the sales guy he said maybe I should look at a honda Grom which I had never heard of. It turns out it's a very small motorcycle with a 125 cc motor. It was cool to sit on and he was telling me they were a blast to ride. So I actually got to test ride one and I agreed with him except for the total lack of power, I didn't think I could live with that. But I started looking at other motorcycles and found Honda had just come out with a CB300 which was a very small(but much bigger than the grom) motorcycle in the shape of a sport bike and it was only $4000 about what some of the larger scooters go for. So I bought it and it was a blast but after a few outings I started longing for more power. I probably should have stopped there because my next move cost me much more money. I sold the 300 at a big loss and bought a Yamaha FZ07. It has the power I wanted and is still pretty light but I found I started to do trips geared towards riding it on backroads scenic rides like I used to do. Bottom line is it went from just a means to get around locally to a destination in itself before I knew it. You could look at it as a slippery slope or following my destiny but I thought you might find the story interesting.

Part of the fun of RVing is customizing the rig and the stuff you can bring along to suit your personal preferences. I think the Axis was a great choice for me to start that experience. I also have a Polaris RZR 570 which is no bigger than a golf cart and a small trailer to pull that around. When I bought the MC I found I could modify the trailer to fit both so that is a nice package to use when the destination allows use of the off road vehicle. Last year I found Florida State Parks allow low speed vehicles like golf carts and the RZR to operate on internal roads with speed limits of 30 mph or less. What fun!
Axis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Please notice that the yoke connecting the grey and black tank dumps can pivot up and down to ease access.
See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/axis...ml#post2353131

Safe travels
I have a Vegas 24.1 that I find very difficult to connect the sewer hose even though the outlet swivels. That swivel action does not help make the underneath connection easier! It is useful to swivel up to allow the big round cover to fit and screw on to cover the opening of the compartment made for the hose. It would be nice if the two tanks were high enough to connect the sewer hose and come through the locking door on the side. You could make the connection but black and grey tank openings are lower so the only opening you can use is the very bottom of the compartment and removing the cover from the opening so you can connect the drainage hose to it. Once connected gravity drains the two tanks, black first then grey that cleaned the hose after black tank drains. I usually allow the black tank gate valve to be open and closed quickly several times while grey is draining to wash any residual debris from the black tank. It takes closing and opening the grey valve in co-ordination with the black tank valve being open and closed. It defeats the purpose if the black tank valve is closed with grey water in it. I do not think there is enough room in that compartment to connect a macerator pump to the drainage pipe. I have not had a macerator pump to try but just eyeballing the compartment sure looks small for the pump.
If anybody has come up with an easier way to dump please share it in these sites. I have a bad back and rt. leg so I have to use a small stool to sit on to make the connection with great difficulty. Once done I sigh with relief and wonder about the next campground and it's sewer pipe opening height and flow. I have another horror story so that is the reason for saying check the flow before you let your black tank rip full flow!!
Humbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
I have a Vegas 24.1 that I find very difficult to connect the sewer hose even though the outlet swivels. That swivel action does not help make the underneath connection easier! ... I do not think there is enough room in that compartment to connect a macerator pump to the drainage pipe.
Our set-up benefits from an added angle pipe (clear to check progress).

If that is not good for the Axis/Vegas, sound like a Sanicon might improve conditions...see the post of an installed unit with pics here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/axis...ml#post2003852

A macerator is usually a bit slower than a typical sized dump hose...but is also usually much easier.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 AM   #173

Thor Owners Club
Thanks, Axis2, I will check the Honda. But at only 5'2" I don't think the knee thing will be my problem. And I wouldn't swear it, but I'm pretty sure that my speed lust is gone. hehe
I'm a 66 yr old great grandmama, should be getting a tricycle, but I'm stubborn.

Humbrace, I HEAR YA! I HATE THAT FREAKIN THING! I've had both knee replacements
and getting down under there is not only a pain in my knees, its poor design, WTH!

Yes, I do know it swivels down, which makes it even lower. lol I'm getting use to it. Just hard on the ole knees. Hope Thor will rethink the design on this, tho. You shouldn't have to almost stand on your head to connect your sewer pipe!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #174

Axis 24.1 Sewer Connections

We've been using our 2015 Axis 24.1 since June 2014 and saw the sewer connection problem immediately. A very workable solution was posted here earlier by another frustrated user.

You might try this. Obtain a Rhino Flex 90 degree adapter to fit directly on the main sewer from the unit. It will drop straight down through the opening. To that adapter, attached a 45 degree adapter with a hydro flush connection to assist with sewer line wash out.

I have found the best process to be to connect both adapters together and feed from the bottom up to the main connection. The Rhino flexible design lets you line up the connection flanges in such a way that you can direct your sewer hose right to the ground connection.

I'm 67 and know what you mean about having to get down on your knees but I find I can do this by kneeling on only one knee. I go head and hook up my wash out line to the hydro flush and make sure everything is in place before opening the slide-out and then at the end when clean up comes I retract the slide and get to work on the sewer clean up and disconnect.

I too considered a macerator but have found this solution more than workable and I'm good with letting gravity do the work.

Good luck and Save travels!
curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #175

Like Scarab I use a clear 45 degree adaptor which fits up through the hole and connects to the waste outlet just fine without too much trouble. And it allows you to easily see what the flow is doing. For flushing the black tank all you have to do is turn on the faucet for the small sink next to the shower as it drains into the black tank. I use this for flushing and for filling the bottom of the clean tank with some water to help liquify any new solids.

Once the routine is figured out it's all very simple if not the most pleasant thing in the world. I still haven't added a pipe underneath to store the hose since there is little room for it under this low coach so I just throw it in the front compartment on the drivers side which works well enough and I haven't needed the space for anything else so far.

Ready, yes, if you haven't seen one check out the Honda Grom. It reminded me of the mini bike I rode when I was young, very small, light and fun, just no power to speak of.
Axis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #176

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a clear elbow with the hose fitting for flushing, too. It makes connection much easier. Visibility is a great addition to the process!
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #177

new Axis

We just brought our new Axis 24.1 home Friday, we bought it in upstate NY Wednesday and spent the night there. There were a few minor problems, but they fixed them right away and we were on the road home by noon. We towed our CRV back with no problem, like it wasn't there. We took a scenic way back to Ct and got stuck in a 2 hour parking lot. Because it was late I stopped at a truck stop for the night, the heater worked great. This is the motorhome we've been looking for for years.
The demo at the dealer was so so, the guy told me not to worry about the slide out brace, so he never showed me where and how to use it. A little way down the road I noticed the rattle and stopped to install the brace the way I thought it should be. What is the right way and does it still make noise with it in place?
Thanks
lit3hous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit3hous View Post
We just brought our new Axis 24.1 home Friday, we bought it in upstate NY Wednesday and spent the night there. There were a few minor problems, but they fixed them right away and we were on the road home by noon. We towed our CRV back with no problem, like it wasn't there. We took a scenic way back to Ct and got stuck in a 2 hour parking lot. Because it was late I stopped at a truck stop for the night, the heater worked great. This is the motorhome we've been looking for for years.
The demo at the dealer was so so, the guy told me not to worry about the slide out brace, so he never showed me where and how to use it. A little way down the road I noticed the rattle and stopped to install the brace the way I thought it should be. What is the right way and does it still make noise with it in place?
Thanks
WE have 10K+ miles on our 24.1 and I haven't used the brace and have no rattles. I'm pretty methodical but fear I'll try to extend the slide with the brace in place and do some real damage. As you've already seen, you're going to love the Axis 24.1. I hope you have many safe and wonderful trips.
curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #179

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were never told about the Side Out Brace let alone how to use it.

What does is look like , where is it located and how does is work?

Any info or pictures would be informative
Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #180

Tiffin Owners Club
You can have mine - never used it. It looks like a metal bar, about 12 inches long with square plastic pads connected to each end. Sort of like this: |------|. Screwing/unscrewing lengthens or shortens it. You sit it on top of the slide when retracted and screw it out (lengthen) until it's snug between the slide trim and the wall.

It presses against the not-too-sturdy looking trim on top of the slide. I can't imagine it would actually hold anything in.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #181

When we had our Thor I contacted Thor about when/how to use the brace. They advised me it's only there to use "if" your slide is broken and has potential to come out while driving. He said under normal conditions it's not necessary.
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #182

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
You can have mine - never used it. It looks like a metal bar, about 12 inches long with square plastic pads connected to each end. Sort of like this: |------|. Screwing/unscrewing lengthens or shortens it. You sit it on top of the slide when retracted and screw it out (lengthen) until it's snug between the slide trim and the wall.

It presses against the not-too-sturdy looking trim on top of the slide. I can't imagine it would actually hold anything in.

Regards,

Randy

Thank you for the info, Randy.

Jerry