Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 AM   #1

Black tank smell after dump and rinse?

Ok strange one here...new 2014 30.1...terrible smell of black tank after the dump and rinse is done. Tank is empty, I even spray and clean off the tubes etc that are in the sealed black tank bin. No smell in bathroom at all. The back bedroom smells like there is an open vent right next to you. It dissipates but it's terrible to drive home with. Any one else have that? Like I said, bathroom and all smell clean. The utilities bin is sealed and I had thought the smell of the dump tube was coming up but that's not it. I sprayed air fresh this time and no smell of that came up. I know the bin is conditioned with heat but the heat wasn't on...and the bin doesn't smell. I'm now guessing somehow the vent pipe is venting inside somehow but not sure why? Or how? Roof vent seems ok?
Anyone have a thought for me? I guess add it to the list for CW to try to fix.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might check your vent stacks thru the roof to make sure they are clear. And if you are plumbed for washer/dryer, check that the P-trap for drain has water in it. Happy trails.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
You might check your vent stacks thru the roof to make sure they are clear. And if you are plumbed for washer/dryer, check that the P-trap for drain has water in it. Happy trails.

ronspradley

yes, I've checked that stack but I will again...the other thing is the trap in the bathroom is filled..no smell in there...and the bathroom doesn't smell. The smell is coming from the back bedroom only.

We all know the sink in the 30.1 bath drains into the black despite all documentation and info from thor.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

OH and no other plumbing done...so it is all stock...
Old 10-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I found out this year that my lavatory sink drains into the black tank. Surprise! And there is a vent stack right beside the toilet, behind some paneling. But that vent stack is not for the black tank, but for the grey tank. Another surprise!

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

I thought I had posted on this earlier, but it didn't go through.
I too was having the same problem. The smell was coming from the area of the right wardrobe.
After some trial and error I discovered it was a grey tank odor. I was getting some bad odors from after showering.
Before I went into tearing out the wardrobe and wall I poured some orange scent tank freshener into the grey tank via kitchen sink and shower. No more odors!

Don't ask me why...but it worked.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I thought I had posted on this earlier, but it didn't go through.
I too was having the same problem. The smell was coming from the area of the right wardrobe.
After some trial and error I discovered it was a grey tank odor. I was getting some bad odors from after showering.
Before I went into tearing out the wardrobe and wall I poured some orange scent tank freshener into the grey tank via kitchen sink and shower. No more odors!

Don't ask me why...but it worked.
Funny thing is for us there is no smell ever while we are there...only after i flush and rinse....always on the drive home. I'm going to do some investigative work this weekend and see what I find. It has to be vent pipe related as all drains and toilet smells fine...

Tags
smell, tank