Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Challenger 37KT - hot water problem

We have had our 2017 Challenger 37KT for about a month now and can't seem to get adequate hot water to the kitchen sink. The shower water is hot enough to bathe in but that is about it. The water at the kitchen sink is not hot enough to do dishes. I just replaced the thermostats on the Atwood hot water heater. It looks like the low cut off it 140 deg F. and the upper limit is 180 deg F. With what should be straight hot water, I can keep my hand under the faucet. Certainly, isn't 140.
Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like cold water is mixing with the hot. I'd check that winterizing valve that by-passes the water heater is shut off completely. Next place to check would be an outside shower. The hot and cold valves could be on, the shower head off, allowing mixing. If you check those places, and no solution, I'd document water temperatures, perhaps with an IR thermometer, and take it to a dealer. You want to be on the record before warranty runs out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just checked the bypass valve. It is in the normal position. Although, I don't have much faith in the Kantleak unit. They are going to have to replace it because it is letting water bleed into my freshwater tank, regardless of the position of the valve lever.
Also checked the outside shower head in the same bay. Water was off properly.
Guess recording the water temps is my next step.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #4

Van and Gina, not sure about yours, but I basically had to play with mine to get the hot water to the kitchen sink. I could only see one out of three valves and without removing panels, I had to work by feel and have SWMBO feeling the water as it ran until I got the right sequence.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Settings for typical water heater:

Bob & Donna
Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BFlinn - You may have found it. Like a dummy, when you said bypass, I was thinking the bypass position on the Kantleak panel in the service bay. But yesterday, I pulled the interior access panel to the water heater off. And now thinking back, I believe the bypass valve there was open. As soon as the misses gets her butt out of bed, I will open it up again and check/correct. Will let you know what I find.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

Success !!!
You were correct. When they plumbed the hot water heater they either didn't know what they were doing or thought they would be funny and left the bypass valve open. It is now closed and plenty of hot water at the kitchen sink. After a month, I reminded the wife to be careful when she takes her shower this morning not to scald herself.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe the manufacturer was correct in leaving the water heater on bypass. They don't know if the RV is going to a cold region, how long it may sit before being sold, etc. It was the dealer's service center who should have set the RV up for your purchase.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is an interesting observation. I would think that the coach would be shipped out dry. The bypass valve that was open is located at the rear of the hot water tank behind a panel accessible only from under the bed, a somewhat involved process. The other issue I have is my unit has a Kantleak panel in the service bay that has a water heater bypass function. Seems to me to be duplicative. I may pose the question to my dealer if checking the underbed valve is part of their pre-delivery checklist. But I have my doubts that I would get a true response - too many people involved.
I'm sorry, but this is my first new coach and maybe my expectations were a little unrealistic. But I have found a number of items that I feel should have been found by a reasonable quality control program. I know these are a production line item, but it doesn't appear to be a lot of professional pride in the work that is done. Like I said, our expectations were too high. But then again, maybe these items are common in the industry.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

I am having same problem, 2 week old 37kt. Bypass properly positioned and outside water turned off. I ordered and installed an adjustable thermostat, this helped but it stills seems like the water is being tempered somewhere.
conklk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by conklk View Post
I am having same problem, 2 week old 37kt. Bypass properly positioned and outside water turned off. I ordered and installed an adjustable thermostat, this helped but it stills seems like the water is being tempered somewhere.

If it's only 2 weeks old, check with your dealer.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you checked the valve located on the back of the hot water heater and it is closed and the external shower facets in the service bay are off, I would look to the Kantleak panel in the service bay. Mine is letting water into the fresh water tank regardless of the valve position. It is on my list when I take the coach back this month.
Speaking of water - There doesn't appear to be a gravity water feed for the fresh water tank. Is this becoming an industry standard??
Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #13

Don't know about industry, but our '13 Challenger had a gravity feed and our '14 1/2 did not. No we don't buy a new MH every year. Its a long story.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water