Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #1

Challenger with no water to fridge

We took our new Thor Challenger 37YT out for a shake down weekend. One issue we discovered is we have no water to the fridge. I looked under cabinets and drawers for a valve that might be turned off, but can't find anything. When I shine a flashlight into the gap on either side of the fridge I do not see a water line on either side which makes me believe it might be plumbed from below. I have gone through the basement and traced the water lines and can't find anything headed up towards the fridge.

Is there anyone here with a 37YT that can advise on where the water line for the fridge is supposed to run? Has anyone ever experienced the factory forgetting to run water for the fridge?

Will be calling Thor later today, but they will likely just say bring it into the dealer which will result in it sitting around for a month. While I have a pile of issues building up I would rather resolve as many as possible on my own and get some camping in prior to turning my new baby over to a dealer.
Pointerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2005 Tiffin and the water valve for the fridge is accessed by removing the outside fridge vent cover.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckee View Post
I have a 2005 Tiffin and the water valve for the fridge is accessed by removing the outside fridge vent cover.
Thanks, but this is a residential fridge so there is no outside panel.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club

I have a 2021 Challenger 37FH with the Whirlpool side by side residential refrigerator.

If you go to the owners section on thormotorcoach.com and log into owners resource, you can download the vehicle schematics. Look for the file category “Schematics”

These drawings include the fresh water plumbing isometric which will show you where the line is for the ice maker.

Also look in the whirlpool or refrigerator installation manual to see where the line Connects to the reefer.

Also if you have the whirlpool remember there may be an on off switch on the bottom of the ice maker itself to turn the ice maker on. Depends on the style.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #5

Just spoke to Thor and the valve is behind the fridge. Trim needs to be removed and fridge pulled forward to turn the valve on. Dealer should have done this prior to shipping to me... yet another failure by my dealer that I purchased from remotely. So frustrating. I guess there will be no ice or cold water until I can get my new rig into a local dealer for a pile of warranty work.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club

That’s messed up. Why even put in a valve if it’s so hard to get to.

So that means if you happen to be camping and the ice maker springs a leak you can’t easily isolate and shutoff the water supply to the ice maker and keep on camping. That’s just so asinine.

As I study the isometric for my 37FH a thought occurs that a valve might be able to be installed by the dealer (or yourself if you know how to work with pex) in the sink base cabinet. The water flows from from the plumbing control panel to the kitchen sink first and then to the icemaker and finally to the washing machine. putting a valve there could give you a quick isolation in the event of a leak.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
Your post got me curious. I found my ice maker valve behind the pot and pan drawer under the cooktop.

Much more accessible than pulling the refrigerator out.

Not sure how much your floor plan varies from mine but I would have to think it’s a standard Challenger factory setup to put the valve in line between the kitchen sink and refrigerator
Old 03-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Your post got me curious. I found my ice maker valve behind the pot and pan drawer under the cooktop.

Much more accessible than pulling the refrigerator out.

Not sure how much your floor plan varies from mine but I would have to think it’s a standard Challenger factory setup to put the valve in line between the kitchen sink and refrigerator
I looked in that location. Heck, I think I looked everywhere. I will look again. It seems like a much more likely location than behind the fridge and needing to remove trim every time you need to winterize.

Is your valve on the floor or mounted somewhere else?
Old 03-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #9

Found the water diagram. What it does not show is the location of shut off valves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Diagram.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	323265  
Old 03-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club

There is a pex stub up above the floor and the valve is attached to that. I looked at your floor plans and it’s not that different form mine as to sink stove refer line up. I’ll try to post a picture.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
Behind the bottom drawer under the cooktop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	323289Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	323290
Old 03-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Behind the bottom drawer under the cooktop.
Attachment 323289Attachment 323290
Thanks for those pics. Really helpful, but I think it is helpful in confirming that they either did mine differently or failed to run water to my fridge. Headed to the RV tonight to load some stuff for this weekend's trip and I will take a look again. Will bring a good flashlight.

Really appreciate your help here.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:20 PM   #13

Nice Beagles by the way. We have had two in more recent years, but are down to one very old one now. We have moved on to Frenchies. Slightly less damage to the yard.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
Yep. Love the beagles. They only listen to me when I mention food.

Tags
fridge, water