RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Class A and Class C need Alignment at purchase

THOR does NOT align their motorhomes at the factory. It is up to you as a new owner to get the alinement done. The chassis are aligned when built at Ford's factory but need a new alignment after the coach is built. If you neglect to get the alinement you can experience poor handling and premature tire wear. This is just a case of THOR saving costs at your expense.

I found this out the hard way where after 15,000 miles my Michelins on front were ruined by improper alinement. I ended up having to go to a commercial Ford Truck dealer to get the alinement and new front tires mount and balanced. I called THOR and they refused to pay any of my costs because I was out of my warranty period.

MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually an alignment is not covered under warranty as it's considered maintenance. They (the manufacturer) have no way of knowing if you ran over a curb or did some other damage once you drove away from the dealer.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #3

None of the manufacturers cover an alignment even during the warranty period.
It should be made very clear at the time of purchase that it needs to be checked but that is where the ball is dropped. Dealers do not want to have that covered as part of the deal.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

You're so right. If the dealer would have mentioned it, I would have got it done - before I ruined my tires.
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner will align their chassis within the first 7,000 miles (I think) under their warranty. Of course that won't help those with a Class C Motorhome

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford will cover alignment for 1 time with less than 12 months or 12k miles whichever is first, on a side note they also cover wiper blades, bulbs for same period.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:56 AM   #7

class-a-and-class-c-need-alignment-at-purchase

How did you get Ford to cover the alignment?
snowskier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 AM   #8

Back in the mid 90's I purchased a new Tioga class C, the front tires were wearing out. I noticed it around the 5,000 mile mark. I returned to the dealer I purchased it from and discovered that they removed the tag on the stearing column that said the chassis was aligned at the factory before the build and a front end alignment was needed before use.
I got 2 new tires from the dealer.

Lesson learned
Old 12-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier1 View Post
How did you get Ford to cover the alignment?
The criteria for coverage for Ford to pay is.
1. Vehicle has to be within 12/12 of in service (purchase date). This can be determined by an individual Oasis report ( which is a Ford contact info document).
2. Tire balance, front alignment can only be claimed once.
3. Must be performed at a Ford dealer.
Now, with that said, if you do not have a dealer that can perform this service then working with Ford and/or a dealer it could be sub'Ed out to an independant. On alignment if you need new cam plugs etc... it will also be covered including labor.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Ford will cover alignment for 1 time with less than 12 months or 12k miles whichever is first, on a side note they also cover wiper blades, bulbs for same period.
Newbie here. Today we just purchased a new '17 Four Winds 22E, by Thor. Its a smaller unit, but a 450, on a Ford Chassis. Should I inquire about this when I go for my POI this week? Thank you.
songofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
You're so right. If the dealer would have mentioned it, I would have got it done - before I ruined my tires.

I have not had mine alignment checked, thinking about doing it this month.
Did you notice any handling/steering issues prior to the tire wear being apparent? My coach will run down a flat, straight road with out correction from me at the steering wheel. It does not pull to one side or another. Am I kidding myself? Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:14 AM   #12

I did not notice any wandering on the road. The problem was exposed when I heard noise from the front tires so I checked them and found uneven wear.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would highly recommend an alignment during the original 12/12 warranty period. No matter if it drives fine or drifts and pulls. I would recommend putting a few thousand miles on the vehicle (unless controlling it is extremely difficult) to allow all the components to wear in and settle. Do this first: Load your vehicle as if you would when you are normally leaving out for camping. Full tank of gas, level of fresh water you intend to carry, black and gray tanks with amounts normally traveling with. Then go get your vehicle weighed and adjust tire pressures to recommended pressures for the specific weight/area. Once at alignment location advise them you have adjusted tire pressures and please do not change them. I would also recommend search on IRV2 for recommended settings on caster/camber/toe and ask if coach needs adjustment can they please adjust to these specs. Ask if there is any charges or will it be covered under warranty. Depending on the shop and technician if the readings of the alignment is in spec they may want to charge you to adjust it to the specs you are asking for. What you do will be your call. Some shops may choose to adjust and just charge warranty some may not. The specs have a wide range and adjustments in this range are allowed to stop or prevent drifts, pulls, and tire wear. Hence the reason they may charge you. Good luck
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 AM   #14

Thanks gents!

Guess alignment is in store for next week.

Tags
class a, class c, purchase