Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

Class C question about steering

My wife and I just purchased our first RV, a used 2013 four winds 22e on a ford e350 chassis. We have both recently retired and this was to be our new adventure. Its a bit small at 23' but for just my wife and I, we feel it is not too large nor overly small. I test drove it before purchasing but did not take it out on the freeway at speed. It only has 5400 miles and basically looks like new. Upon driving it home (about a 40 mile trip) on the highway I noticed some definite issues with the steering. It wanders when just driving on a straight stretch from side to side requiring a need for constant correction. It was an exhausting two handed death grip on the wheel and a white knuckle experience when being passed by semi's. About as far from a relaxing drive as one can get. I was a lineman/cable splicer for 34 years and I'm not intimidated by the size of a large truck, but a vehicle with only 5400 miles IMO should not have such issues. I'm going to throw all the existing negatives to the side, including the fact that we probably paid too much for it while giving in to pressure tactics from seller etc. I could put all of that aside and live with it if I knew the unit was something that we are going to ultimately be able to enjoy and feel comfortable and 'safe' driving, but as it stands there is no way I would attempt to drive it any distance at all except for around the neighborhood. It is pretty disappointing and disheartening for both me and my wife. Please tell me there is a solution..
I have been researching this site and forgive me if I haven't dug deep enough
(this is my first post) but I would like to know is what others have done or what they can recommend in the way of remedies for this particular chassis if they have owned the same. I have read about "safe steer" spring type stabilizers as well as rear track bars as products others say have helped. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
cal old schl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class C question about steering

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of RV ownership

There are many great write ups and posts about improving the handling and ride of your class c.
Have you done a Four corner weighing of your RV and found the tire pressure charts for your specific type of tires and adjusted the air pressure?
Secondly have you had your front end aligned?
There is a great post by Harvard about that.
You will want to fix what is wrong first before possibly masking the problem by changing or adding new components.
Once you corrected these problems it should be a joy to drive.
Here is the write up by Harvard
Our 2004 E450 28 Foot handled terrible until we added additional + Caster to the front wheels.

The Ford Spec for front end CASTER is:

LH +1.3 to +6.8 Degrees
RH +1.8 to +7.3 Degrees

Our unit was:
LH +3.3 Degrees
RH +3.5 Degrees

We added + 2.0 degrees, so we are now at:
LH +5.3 Degrees
RH +5.5 Degrees.

Alignment problems on the E series follow the 80/20 rule in the sense that TOE and CAMBER is 20% of the story while CASTER is 80% of the story. TOO LITTLE CASTER will amplify any external force many fold to the detriment of stability.

If your unit feels like the steering box needs to be tightened up it is because of TOO LITTLE + CASTER.
If cross winds and wind gusts cause havoc it is because of TOO LITTLE + CASTER.
If you think the tail is wagging the dog it is because of TOO LITTLE + CASTER.
If you are needing to drive it all day and never relax it is because of TOO LITTLE + CASTER.

If your unit drives GREAT, like an SUV, it is because you have a proper amout of + CASTER which I am guestimating to be about +5.0 degrees or more. (Note: The RH caster is always more then LH (CROSS CASTER = LH - RH))
Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #3

To: ' AGUYFROMCALG'..

Thank you for your reply, and all the information regarding the importance of a good alignment.
I guess my first priority should be checking tire pressures and looking into having it aligned at a truck shop.
The specs you gave from Harvard are for a e450 chassis. I assume a good shop will have the proper specs for the e350 chassis if they are different. If they are 'ford specs across the board', in any case I will write them down with what was added and take them with me when getting it aligned. If his unit was out I am assuming he experienced some of the same issues with steering and that having the right castor added solved his problems. My symptoms mirror all that was stated with regard to having 'too little' castor, feels like too much play, tail wagging the dog, requiring excessive effort to drive it etc.

I am in southern calif. in the Walnut/Diamond Bar area. If anyone would happen to know of a reputable shop they have used for alignments in this area feel free to hit me up.

Perhaps there is hope to make this become a much more positive experience after all.

Thanks for the welcome as well as for all the info.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the link to the discussion about Ford front end
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=40337.0
Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

We own a 2015 Thor Outlaw on a Ford E450 chassis. If your E-350 still drives bad after getting the alignment checked you might look into a steering stabilizer and a rear track bar. I added the Safe-t-Plus steering stabilizer and Track bar to the rear axle. Both made a big difference. Stopped the wander and the tail wag.
catz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

To a 'aguyfromcalg'

Thanks for the link to Harvards write up. I'm going to search for a good alignment shop that has experience with these trucks and the 'ingalls' part that allows for more caster adjustment.

May take a bit of time to find, but will post back after the fact and hopefully with a lot of improvement.

Thanks again
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

To 'catz66'

Thanks for your input. The alignment is my first priority, and if things aren't that much better I plan on going your route also with some kind of front stablizer and a rear track bar. Hopfully the alignment won't break the bank. Curious, did you install those items or do they need to be done at a shop?

It's a relief to know that it can be made much better, Hopfully without spending too much $$$.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

I installed the steering stabilizer and the rear track bar. Just follow directions. As long as you are comfortable doing mechanical repairs. If not have a qualified mechanic install them. I installed the safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and the supersteer track bar. Both were fairly easy to install.
catz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #9

'catz66'

Thanks for the reply..
If they can be installed by a do-it-yourselfer I'm all for saving a few bucks and doing the work myself. Good to know.

Still looking into finding a good and reputable truck shop for an alignment.
All the shops with the best reviews are hundreds of miles from me and the one's with all the worst reviews are right in my back yard. Just need to keep looking.. I'm sure there's one not far, I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks again
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thing to consider is that some people "white knuckle" it and overcorrect as they drive. I found that I needed to relax and look further ahead. Kind of like piloting a boat, you guide it rather than holding an exact straight line.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, steering