Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

Considering a Super C Magnitude/Omni, any opinions out there?

I currently own a GD 5th wheel. I'm considering a Super C but there's not much to choose from. Its either an Entegra Accolade vs Thor Magnitude. I'm leaning more on a Magnitude/Omni and I'd like to hear from Thor owners about quality of Thor units, customer service, warranty issues etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
alllcinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #2

I’m probably going to get crap for this, not really an answer for you but giving you more options. Dynamax makes a competitive unit called the Isata 5. I just ordered one, it was a hard decision between the Thor and the Dynamax. Went through both units (2 models of each) at the Hershey RV show.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #3

From an owner, go with the Dynamax and the two year warranty
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
I’m probably going to get crap for this, not really an answer for you but giving you more options. Dynamax makes a competitive unit called the Isata 5. I just ordered one, it was a hard decision between the Thor and the Dynamax. Went through both units (2 models of each) at the Hershey RV show.
Yes, I'm familiar with the Isata 5 and I've been shopping them also. I'm just not sure of the Ford vs Dodge, I've had several Fords throughout the years but never a Dodge. I prefer the smaller type of chassis of Magnitude/Isata5 though against the Freightliner such as the Entegra Accolade of the larger Dynamax's.

I haven't been able to find many reviews of these Super C's (Thor/Dynamax).

What was it that caused you to choose the Isata 5 vs Thor?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
From an owner, go with the Dynamax and the two year warranty
Thanks Joe, I see you own one of the Freightliner chassis Dynamax. What discourages me on this chassis is the maintenance and having to take it to Freightliner vs driving in to any local Ford/Dodge dealership.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllcinc View Post
Thanks Joe, I see you own one of the Freightliner chassis Dynamax. What discourages me on this chassis is the maintenance and having to take it to Freightliner vs driving in to any local Ford/Dodge dealership.
We recently wholesale(d) our Thor 33SW, although we meet several good people within the Thor company and the dealership we had numerous(actually more than numerous) problems with ours so much so that Thor replaced our first 2013 33SW with a new one(2014). I was constantly chasing problems(on both the 2013 and 2014)most of which I was able to fix, some of which were significant issues. The last was delamination on the passenger side of the 2014, I constantly checked and resealed yearly but missed what we figured was the awning attachment points. In reference to your above statement about taking it into any local dealership, we found that it was not always the case that they would work on our mh. The one time that the local dealership did they were able to reflash the Ford ECU in the parking lot because they were unable (or unwilling to put the mh inside the shop) and we found that was the case with other issues. We did find a dealership 50 miles away that would work on it but they actually did the warranty work outside their dealership also, replacing and reprogramming a fuel injector in their parkinig lot. It seemed to us that the dealerships limited their shop work to pickup trucks(or small commercial vehicles) so that at least Freightliner, etc would be setup to handle larger rigs.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes having a Freightliner you would have to take it to them for service.

I was really suggesting that you consider a Dynamax product with their
excellent two year warranty plan and a General Manager who is on their
forum, and participates there.
You should go over to forestriverforums.com and check out the Dynamax
threads where you can read some comments and ask questions from owners
of the Isata and about the dodge frames they are on. What better place to get
some reviews from actual owners.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Yes having a Freightliner you would have to take it to them for service.

I was really suggesting that you consider a Dynamax product with their
excellent two year warranty plan and a General Manager who is on their
forum, and participates there.
You should go over to forestriverforums.com and check out the Dynamax
threads where you can read some comments and ask questions from owners
of the Isata and about the dodge frames they are on. What better place to get
some reviews from actual owners.
I don't have a dog in this fight but started following the Isata 5 when it came out. Somehow I got over to the FR forum and followed along as the GM (user name bclemens) was introducing the Isata 5 back in 2015. He was also (summer 2019) asking for input on the 28SS floorplan as it was being developed. I gotta say, I don't ever remember seeing so much communication between an RV mfr and the public via a forum. He is a regular on the forum and knows his products! I wish that there were more mfrs willing to participate on the forums like he does.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterbill View Post
We recently wholesale(d) our Thor 33SW, although we meet several good people within the Thor company and the dealership we had numerous(actually more than numerous) problems with ours so much so that Thor replaced our first 2013 33SW with a new one(2014). I was constantly chasing problems(on both the 2013 and 2014)most of which I was able to fix, some of which were significant issues. The last was delamination on the passenger side of the 2014, I constantly checked and resealed yearly but missed what we figured was the awning attachment points. In reference to your above statement about taking it into any local dealership, we found that it was not always the case that they would work on our mh. The one time that the local dealership did they were able to reflash the Ford ECU in the parking lot because they were unable (or unwilling to put the mh inside the shop) and we found that was the case with other issues. We did find a dealership 50 miles away that would work on it but they actually did the warranty work outside their dealership also, replacing and reprogramming a fuel injector in their parkinig lot. It seemed to us that the dealerships limited their shop work to pickup trucks(or small commercial vehicles) so that at least Freightliner, etc would be setup to handle larger rigs.

Thanks for the reply Bill. Several years ago I was told by a salesman at the dealership I'm shopping at (Alvarado Tx) that Thor units are frequently in the shop. Of course, he was trying to sell me Country Coach DP at the time but since then I've had my concerns about Thor products. Although no RV unit is near perfect, I think some have more issues than others. Since there's slim pickins of Super C's, I don't have much of a choice if I stay the course. Something tells me to just upgrade my tow vehicle (2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD) and just stay with my 2019 GD Reflection 337RLS since has taken me from the southern most time of Texas all the way up to Seattle and surrounding states with minor issues that I've been able to handle myself. I'm a pencil pusher and paper shuffler and not to savvy on carpentry and mechanical issues so I like to be well warrantied. It seems that even the local dealership scenario may not even work for me, so I guess I'll look for a local Freightliner shop in south Texas and perhaps consider the Entegra Accolade which looks appealing. My quest continues..and thanks for your reply I really appreciate it!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight but started following the Isata 5 when it came out. Somehow I got over to the FR forum and followed along as the GM (user name bclemens) was introducing the Isata 5 back in 2015. He was also (summer 2019) asking for input on the 28SS floorplan as it was being developed. I gotta say, I don't ever remember seeing so much communication between an RV mfr and the public via a forum. He is a regular on the forum and knows his products! I wish that there were more mfrs willing to participate on the forums like he does.
I appreciate the comments Tank. I've looked at the Isata 5 in recent years and I don't think, for several reasons, this is the Super C for me. And I've haven't been able to find much information (reviews) on the Isata 5 or the Thor Magnitude/Omni Super C's. I did see some of bclemens comments but I'd like to hear from owners who have been in the trenches with these units. Somehow i think I know what I'll hear. The quest continues? Tks Tank!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with the Isata 5 and I've been shopping them also. I'm just not sure of the Ford vs Dodge, I've had several Fords throughout the years but never a Dodge. I prefer the smaller type of chassis of Magnitude/Isata5 though against the Freightliner such as the Entegra Accolade of the larger Dynamax's.

I haven't been able to find many reviews of these Super C's (Thor/Dynamax).

What was it that caused you to choose the Isata 5 vs Thor?

I had several Dodges over the years and in 2015 switched to a Ford truck out of nothing more than change. My dodge’s were great. I am disappointed in that Ford but that is the not really the reason I ruled out the Thor. I drove the Thor and it was nice.
I chose the Dynamax over the Thor mainly because I saw more attention to detail in the Isata over the Omni/Magnitude. The wiring and plumbing was nicer although as with all RVs they could be better.
More importantly I liked the equipment choices in the Dynamax, the electronics, the wiring for television connections, the pre-installed solar, the charger/inverter wiring.
The Dodge/Cummins combo may have also been a factor, again it was a tough choice.
I really liked the Thor’s outside kitchen.
Also, on the Forest River forum, the Dynamax GM is very active answering questions/solving issues and they seem much more active in listening to the customers.
Thors are much easier to find on the lot.
Dynamax sells a lot of Isata 5’s and they are hard to find on the lot.
Is it better marketing or demand that does this???
My dealer sells both.