Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering Thor Outlaw

I will be towing a 2 door Wrangler and I am worried about a rig of this length - specifically getting into and out of gas stations. Problems? Where does everyone fill up? Flying J the best because of the RV lanes? Thanks
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
KC

I don’t yet own a Thor (Thursday night) but my current 37’ RV has rear fill. I use RV fills if the station has them but mostly depending on the room I pull up till the pump can reach the rear. Sometimes I take up two pumps spots.

KC
Old 08-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The new Outlaw's (there's 3 Class A's and a Class C) are very driveable and can tow very well. Assuming you are thinking Class A, being in an A.C.E. now.

Some numbers...
The toy hauler Outlaws are just over 38' overall on the 252" wheelbase frame (managable overhang). Highest point on the roof is 13'3".
They have a Class III plus receiver (8,500lb), ride on the highest GVWR Ford F53 (26,000lb w/ 30,000 GCWR), and the wheel cut is a very good 50degrees.

We take our Outlaw into ANY gas station with a high enough roof/awning. Most are 14" high or more. We tow a 3,500lb Ford Escape on a dolly (longer and near the weight of a Flat Tow 2 door Jeep) and have no troubles getting where we need to go.

The big truck stops often do not have the best gas prices, so we shop price on the road knowing we can pretty much fit the same footprint as a pick-up and travel trailer. Fuel filler pipe is driver's side just behind the rear tires.

Owners here on iRV2 congregate at the link in my signature below.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

I flat tow our FJ Cruiser behind the 2015 Outlaw without issue. Towing the vehicle is easy - it always tracks within the wheels of the RV, so you don't need to even think about it being back there. It's always inside of the tail swing and outside of the inner wheel travel. The only think is backing up - I've never really bothered to try because going more than a couple of feet is VERY difficult. Since the front wheel of the toad can turn, the vehicle may not go the direction you are expecting and can over stress the hitch easily.

I prefer Flying J's because of the RV lanes. I don't have an issue going through regular stations so long as they are high enough and there is room to exit on the far side. Once we had to ask a cashier to mover their car so we could pull through instead of unhooking our toad to back out
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have been more specific in my original post. But yes I'm talking about the class A Outlaw 37LS.

Thanks for the responses and info so far! I've read through all of the info in the forum about the Outlaws. Lots of great info and ideas. Hoping to get one in the next 12 months.
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

no issue towing

I have an Outlaw 37LS, that I just finished 2 weeks from Nebraska out to Oregon & back flat towing my new to me CRV. (about the same size and weight as your 2 door jeep)

Only issue is the fact that as mentioned you cannot really back up.

I stopped trying to use the Flying J, as not all of them have the RV lane.

I found it easiest to stop in areas that had a few fuel options. I simply chose the one that allowed me an easy entry / exit.

I got in the habit of not letting the tank get below 1/3. this allowed me the luxury to bypass gas, and get back on the highway if it looked like it might be a challenge to get in & out of a station.

did not notice any difference in driving or fuel mileage with the crv behind me. (except that I drive with the reverse camera on at all times, and this guy was RIGHT on my bumper the whole trip:-)

FYI - I used one of the cnavas style rock guards that goes between the RV & tow vehicle parallel to the ground. between that and the mud flap that comes with the RV, I did not get any rock chips.

You MUST get the 5star tune though. I drove my RV home from Dallas to Nebraska in March, and it SUCKED from a noise and transmission perspective. the factory tune from Ford expects that these will be city / around town cargo trucks. it is NOT optimized for freeway driving like we do with RV's. I cannot imagine having to do that Oregon & back trip with the factory tune.

cheers
Terminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Towing Wranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek5 View Post
I will be towing a 2 door Wrangler and I am worried about a rig of this length - specifically getting into and out of gas stations. Problems? Where does everyone fill up? Flying J the best because of the RV lanes? Thanks
I towed a two door Wranger from MO to Ouray CO and no real concerns about getting gas. I agree with Terminex that I too never get too low before filling up that I can't change my mind and go another 50 miles if needed. Regarding smaller gas stations, in town versus big interstate ones, I like to find ones that are parallel to the road I'm on with the building on the far side as they are super easy in and out. If needed, ones that are perpendicular to the road or building I find it easier to pull all the way in on the side and pull back through from the building side, headed back out. Less chance of getting blocked in from other cars while your there and usually an easier angle to pull out with less obstructions.

Only issue I had was pulling in behind somebody and having to wait for them to do their expensive grocery shopping while parked at the gas pump since I wasn't able to back up and use another pump once I had realized the didn't just need gas. And then of course having to swipe my credit card twice with $100 limits at most pumps.

Wrangler pulled awesome though, no concerns. It does look little back there.
Skimoriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor