Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Correct tire pressure on Hurricane 34e

So the little sticker by the drivers side shows all tires should be 95 psi. So this is for the coach at its max weight of 22k? Presumably, i am not loaded that heavy, so should the tire psi actually be something less? The max psi listed on the actual tire is 110 psi. The Hurricane has 19.5 inch tires. When i picked the coach up at the dealer, all tires were set at 75psi. I aired them up to 95 psi which i have now, but having moving into the coach for our weekend trip i know we have not come close to the max weight. So even if i am lighter, i presume 95 psi is at least a safe pressure?
Thank you all
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
So the little sticker by the drivers side shows all tires should be 95 psi. So this is for the coach at its max weight of 22k? Presumably, i am not loaded that heavy, so should the tire psi actually be something less? The max psi listed on the actual tire is 110 psi. The Hurricane has 19.5 inch tires. When i picked the coach up at the dealer, all tires were set at 75psi. I aired them up to 95 psi which i have now, but having moving into the coach for our weekend trip i know we have not come close to the max weight. So even if i am lighter, i presume 95 psi is at least a safe pressure?
Thank you all
After getting it weighed follow the tire manufactures recommended PSI.
Until then 95 PSI should be fine.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep mine at 95psi.

I picked up my new motorhome in Melbourne, FL, and drove it all the way to Pensacola, FL, (over 500 miles), before it occurred to me that the tire pressure should be checked.

Heck, it's a brand new motorhome, and I assumed that the dealer had completely prepped it, including the tire pressure.

As it turns out, when I finally found a place to conveniently fill my tires with air in Pensacola, they were all at about 70psi.

This being the maiden voyage and shakedown trip, I just thought that the wacky handling was normal for this new coach. I realized that this is what the industry calls an "entry level" coach. Even my previous two motorhomes had 22.5 inch aluminum wheels, and I just figured that the 19.5 stamped steel wheels just felt like this.

With 95psi in the tires I was amazed, and relieved! It felt wonderful. It handled like the Hurricane 34J that I had test driven at the RV show in Pomona, CA just months prior, (I could have sworn that test drive coach felt much "tighter" the whole time)!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

The 95lbs you see is based on the GAWR and the size and ratings of the tires on the vehicle when it leaves its facility. If you are happy with the way the unit drives and handles with this psi then leave it alone. If you think you would like to try and reduce this number then go get the mh weighed and then look up the number on a tire chart from the tire manufacturer.
Some say to always weight it. I'm not convinced this is required unless you plan to carry a bunch of rocks and your wife's name is Lucy. if it makes you feel better to know you are under weight or are concerned that you might be overweight then by all means get it weighed.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
I keep mine at 95psi.

I picked up my new motorhome in Melbourne, FL, and drove it all the way to Pensacola, FL, (over 500 miles), before it occurred to me that the tire pressure should be checked.

Heck, it's a brand new motorhome, and I assumed that the dealer had completely prepped it, including the tire pressure.

As it turns out, when I finally found a place to conveniently fill my tires with air in Pensacola, they were all at about 70psi.

This being the maiden voyage and shakedown trip, I just thought that the wacky handling was normal for this new coach. I realized that this is what the industry calls an "entry level" coach. Even my previous two motorhomes had 22.5 inch aluminum wheels, and I just figured that the 19.5 stamped steel wheels just felt like this.

With 95psi in the tires I was amazed, and relieved! It felt wonderful. It handled like the Hurricane 34J that I had test driven at the RV show in Pomona, CA just months prior, (I could have sworn that test drive coach felt much "tighter" the whole time)!
So thanks to the dealer and the "Prep" you probably paid for you were sent out with tires that were officially "Flat" (20% or more low). This will void many tire warranties. AND the worst part is that 70 was probably a "Hot" pressure unless you waited two or three hours for the tires to cool down.

I bet if you asked the dealer to provide you with something in writing about the tires not being damaged by running low they would refuse.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
Thank you all
Don't guess on your weight. I have never met anyone with calibrated eyeballs.

Bet you a Beer you are off by more than 500#
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
...I bet if you asked the dealer to provide you with something in writing about the tires not being damaged by running low they would refuse.
Fortunately, I drove below the speed limit the whole time my tires were "flat". When I finally properly inflated the tires, they still had the little tire mold vent nipples.

I have had the tires checked at two other dealerships once I reached home, and there was no obvious damage or unusual wear noted then, and since.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The builder's sticker is based on the recommended tire listed on the sticker and if you loaded the coach to the maximum limits of the axles. So keeping the tires at 95 will be safe. Airing up to the 110 on the sidewall will make for a hard ride and you might have handling issues. Don't reduce the pressure until you have the coach weight checked and even after I would still stay at 95. Never know when your load might change from weekend to weekend.

My Hurricane is built on an 18K chassis and the recommended pressure is 80 PSI. I'm a good 1500 pounds under the chassis limit but I still run the tires at 80. Also I have more capacity in the tires than I do the chassis.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Fortunately, I drove below the speed limit the whole time my tires were "flat". When I finally properly inflated the tires, they still had the little tire mold vent nipples.

I have had the tires checked at two other dealerships once I reached home, and there was no obvious damage or unusual wear noted then, and since.
Doesn't matter how fast you drove nor the wear showing on the outside, it's the belts you can't see that break. The damage may not manifest itself for thousands of miles either.
The tires should be broken down and inspected INSIDE by a expert at a tire dealer.
BTW: the pressure shown on the side of a truck size tire is NOT the maximum it should ever have, it is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM rating of the tire. This is direct from the Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo tire manuals.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
BTW: the pressure shown on the side of a truck size tire is NOT the maximum it should ever have, it is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM rating of the tire. This is direct from the Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo tire manuals.
Uhh.... So why does it say MAX PSI in front of it???
MAX means minimum???
Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
Uhh.... So why does it say MAX PSI in front of it???
MAX means minimum???
Yes this is confusing. The intent of the information is to let you know that when you inflate the tire to the pressure associated with the highest level for the Load Range it is rated to carry the stated load and no more.
Load Range is a replacement for the outmoded "Ply Rating"

When you look at a Load/Inflation table you will see a series of inflations in 5 psi increments. You will also see a series of load capacities.

You didn't provide your tire size or LR information so I will simply provide an example. I'm going to use a LT size so no one mistakenly think these numbers are correct for your application.

Size LT225/75R16
Single 1790#@45 1940@50 2060@55 2190@60 2335@65
2440@70 2560@75 2680@ 80 3000@95

Now the other bit of important information in the table is the Load Range limits for this size tire. LR-C is 50psi LR-D is 65 LR-E is 80 and LR-F is 95

If you had this size tire and it was a LR-E tire it would say 2680# at 80 psi Max or some such

Note some tire companies use the wording 2680# Max at 80 psi Cold or some variation thereof.

The inflations in the table can be considered a Minimum when you start by looking at your measured load. In the above example if you measured 2500# on the heavier front tire you would select the inflation from the table associated with at least 2500# which means 2560 and you would then know that the Minimum cold inflation you should ever run was 75 psi.

Finally we know that pressure varies as the ambient temperature changes. This change is about 2% for every 10°F increment so to avoid having to chase around looking for a service station I suggest you add 10% to the required inflation level which in the case of this example would be 7.5 psi

I wouldn't worry about getting the inflation to the exact 1/2 psi just know that if you add 7 or 8 psi to your minimum of 75psi you are good to go. You also don't have to worry about adding air if it gets cold and the inflation drops to 79psi as you have a nice margin built in.

Over time all tires loose air pressure so eventually your pressure will drop to the point that your day to day pressure variation will result in you having only 75 psi in the tire. I would not wait till your margin has been used up but would have added a bit of air once I got down to 77psi or so and bumped it back up to the 82/83 psi level.

Long explanation but I wanted to give you the background so you would understand why I say

1. Weigh the RV
2. Select the minimum inflation for your tires based on the table minimum inflation
3. Add 10% margin to that inflation to learn your "cold set pressure"
4. Inflate all tires to the highest inflation for any tire on that axle. (all tires on each axle should have the same inflation)
5. Check your inflation every morning before you travel more than 1/2 mile and before the tires are warmed by sunlight or monitor the inflation all the time with a TPMS.

Tags
hurricane, tire pressure