Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #15

I would start by looking under the lavatory sink nearest the toilet.
Follow the plumbing to the highest point, likely close to bottom of sink surface, sometimes hard to see, but you will feel the change in surfaces. Glance at the link before searching. Good luck!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Cheater vent in the AAV (air admittance valve) I was talking about. Thanks for the pic.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Do I have these inline cheater vents if I have a rooftop vent for both the black and grey tanks?
Yes. The roof vent will vent the tank. The cheater vent will vent the drain pipe from the fixture to the tank and prevent the water seal in the trap from being lost. The vents will be located very close to the fixture, usually high up in the cabinet. In my case, I cleaned them and replaced them to no avail... which is why I removed them. It doesn't meet code, but I did not have any problems once they were removed.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
CW doesn't know what they are talking about, both on my bath sinks drain into the blank tank.

I am replacing one of the factory sink vents tomorrow. I have the same smell in a brand new MH, and I know it's the vent. The factroy's use the cheapest vents they can get and many of them are worthless.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #19

OK, one more stupid question...it appears the smell happens the most while using the shower which empties into the grey tank with the kitchen sink. Will the shower have a cheater vent? And if so, where would it be located?

It's hard to believe I couldn't even pay $75/hr for this knowledge at CW.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
OK, one more stupid question...it appears the smell happens the most while using the shower which empties into the grey tank with the kitchen sink. Will the shower have a cheater vent? And if so, where would it be located?

Maybe ... look up under the kitchen sink.

It's easy to check what drains are attached to tanks if you are at the dump station or campsite sewage. Drain both tanks, close the grey valve (leave the black open), run each faucet (one at a a time) including shower, and see if any water comes out the (open) black valve.

What you are describing sometimes occurs even when everything is working correctly. If you are at a campsite with sewage connection, try closing both dump valves and see if it's better ... sometimes, with either dump valve open, the sewer gas that is accumulated in the slinky will escape when an AAV opens.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a couple of things;
1. You can arrange your stinky slinky so that it forms a P trap before going into the receiver pipe. In doing this you can, if you so desire, leave your gray valve open.
2. Any chemicals or process you use to clean your Black tank can also be applied to your Gray.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #22

Do yourself a favor, stay away from that dealer, they sound terrible. Find another that can do the job, ask others with RVs in your area who they suggest. Life is too short to deal with stupid people.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
Do yourself a favor, stay away from that dealer, they sound terrible. Find another that can do the job, ask others with RVs in your area who they suggest. Life is too short to deal with stupid people.
Words of wisdom.

I spoke with someone at Thor and they stated there is a p-trap and cheater vent under the shower.
HOWEVER, they believe the only way to access it is to cut into the wall.

Prior to that I will remove the rooftop caps from both tank vents to make sure they are not clogged.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping world technicians range from some who are rather good to others who have a problem finding their...... With both hands and a mirror (Body part).

Odor tracking: Rotten Egg is often the battery (Sulfur Dioxide to be specific) however other odors are often mistaken..

The Gray Tank is more likely to be stinky than the black, believe it or not

Finally what they can not find... or---The suspect list:

Air admittance valves (A variety of vacuum breaker) are often found in the drain lines to the lavs (Bathroom sinks) These are designed to allow air to enter the drain, but not odors to escape. The one in my half bath does not work (It does not allow air to enter or odor to escape) so sometimes the trap gets sucked dry.. The more common failure is it allows odor to escape.

Second is both the gray and black tanks have what I call a "Stink Pipe" this is a pipe that runs all the way THROUGH (one hops) the roof.. It has a little mushroom cap on the top of it.

Two or three possible issues

ONE: this pipe may not go all the way.. Either due to falling into the tank or being cut too short to began with.

Two: This tube is SMALLER than the pipe you see topside, thus there is an air gap that can allow stink to re-enter the wall and your RV.

One of these days I may fix that on mine.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since you say the problem mainly occurs when showering:

Are you using a bathroom exhaust fan at the same time? You might try running the shower without the fan going and see if the same smell occurs. Sometimes running a fan can actually create currents that draw odors IN from nearby vents on the roof. This especially if other fans/AC units are going at the same time.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #26

Quote:

The valve may be in the wall behind shower. Also may use the kitchen sink vent but I still bet its in the wall. I found mine by opening the wall just enough to allow my video boroscope into the wall. I then removed wall paneling and ran the vent thru the roof with a vent cap. I found any time the throne room fan or the rear furnace was on the smell got worse. Found it was the grey tank causing the smell in throne room by dumping a bottle of perfume down bath sink and the smell showed up in throne room.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #27

If your shower is adjacent to the sink, there may only be one vent located in the sink cabinet. Also, on my unit, and I think others have the same arrangement, there is an access port in the exterior wheel well where you can access the drain pipe from the shower pan. Hope this helps.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #28

On my ACE 27.1 I replaced both of my check valves. They are located on the sink drain pipe.