Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dimplex Fireplace - Fan?

It got a bit chilly this morning. So we thought we'd try out the fireplace. Not much heat coming out. Checked the operation. A small amount of heat comes out of the top but I don't hear a fan. Then the heat stops but the "fireplace" appearance below continues to glow.

Reading other users comments - the heater helps "keep the chill off". The fireplace looks good BUT almost zero heat.

Is this normal operation?

Thanks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
KC

They are supposed to heat 400 sqft. Have not tried my other than to turned it on then off.

KC
Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

We use our Dimplex fireplace regularly and the fan operation on ours is silent. A small amount of warm air is expelled from the top of the unit but not enough to quickly warm an entire coach. It does take the chill off but it does it slowly.
JEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all - let me describe what mine is doing.

Switches set up as described in manual.

-Far right hand switch is to enable remote. I set it to remote.
-Middle rocker switch is set so the left hand side of switch is down.
-Rotating thumb switch is set entirely as far as possible clockwise.

It took me a few tries to figure out which switch is which and how to set them. The unit does glow red in the upper center for a few moments but after about 5 seconds - stops glowing. I presume this is the heating element.

I believe I have the settings correct and that the unit is shutting off to prevent overheating.

Comments - other inputs?

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

The thermal limit switch went bad on my fireplace two weeks ago and I had to replace it. Since we travel around the country full time I and we couldn't wait for a dealer to do the warranty work I had Dimplex overnight the part to me. It turns out that the heater, blower and thermostat are an integral unit that you can see if you look through the opening next to the control switches. If your unit is shutting down then the thermal switch is probably the culprit. If it's under warranty Dimplex can send a replacement or they may sell you one if not still under warranty. Replacing the heater/blower assembly is actually quite straightforward.
JEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

We use the furnace to get the temp up when it's cold, then switch it off and turn the fireplace on, it will keep things very cozy all night even in 35 degree weather. We have a 5th wheel with dual pane windows which might make a difference, since the warm air rises.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
JEdgar - couldn't agree more. I contacted Thor Warranty and they have opted to have an authorized technician do the repairs. So I drive the unit to my trusty warranty support team and leave the unit with them. Pain in the neck for me but a bigger pain in the wallet for Thor. Their choice.

Also, I can get the control panel fixed- someone during assembly glued srews in to hold various switches. This glue breaks down and the switch fall back into the panel. I did a temp fix by drilling and using the previously screws to more firmly attacheds the switches.

Thanks to all of you.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEdgar View Post
The thermal limit switch went bad on my fireplace two weeks ago and I had to replace it. Since we travel around the country full time I and we couldn't wait for a dealer to do the warranty work I had Dimplex overnight the part to me. It turns out that the heater, blower and thermostat are an integral unit that you can see if you look through the opening next to the control switches. If your unit is shutting down then the thermal switch is probably the culprit. If it's under warranty Dimplex can send a replacement or they may sell you one if not still under warranty. Replacing the heater/blower assembly is actually quite straightforward.
We had the heater element go bad on our last trip. Heated for about 5 seconds and quit, just like you describe. Wife called Dimplex who diagnosed the problem as a heater element. Mailed us one for about $85. We installed it and it works fine again. Install was tricking figuring out how to disconnect the wires. Take a picture of what connects to what before starting. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry them loose.

On ours the heater assembly is seperate from the thermostat, unlike what someone said above. We didn't need to replace the thermostat.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
in our previous 5'er we would use it as a main heat source it was so efficient !

BUT, we are in the sowth, so cold temps is a relative term

Our fan motor started making noise and it was an easy replacement once I figured out HOW to get to it

Tags
ace, fan, replace