Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #1

Angry DO NOT register your THOR RV to a business!

I suspect many people find out after the fact, as we did, that if you register your RV to business when you purchase it new from a dealer or if was registered to a business as the first owner, ALL of the warranties are shortened to 90 days. That includes the one-year end-to-end warranty, the 12-year structural warranty, the 6-year lamination warranty, and any warranties on the engine. Our RV was titled to a business for 6 months when we bought it. Even though it's a 2022 Omni, there are now NO warranties on it, as it's pretty much falling apart.

This has been a very expensive mistake for us, so I'm sharing if to help others avoid the same mistake.
alduquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alduquette View Post
I suspect many people find out after the fact, as we did, that if you register your RV to business when you purchase it new from a dealer or if was registered to a business as the first owner, ALL of the warranties are shortened to 90 days. That includes the one-year end-to-end warranty, the 12-year structural warranty, the 6-year lamination warranty, and any warranties on the engine. Our RV was titled to a business for 6 months when we bought it. Even though it's a 2022 Omni, there are now NO warranties on it, as it's pretty much falling apart.

This has been a very expensive mistake for us, so I'm sharing if to help others avoid the same mistake.
OUCH!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Why would you title a MH to a business if it wasn’t for the use of the business?
Old 09-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Why would you title a MH to a business if it wasn’t for the use of the business?
Probably to escape taxes?
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
OP bought a USED RV that was previously bought/titled to a Business. Hence all warranties reverted to 90 days and had expired prior to OP Purchasing it.

One needs to be cautious when purchasing especially a USED RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if the RV dealer registered it to the dealership, knowing it was a "lemon", to get out from under the warranty. Could be deceptive practices.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I wonder if the RV dealer registered it to the dealership, knowing it was a "lemon", to get out from under the warranty. Could be deceptive practices.
HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm ... & ..... HHMMMMM again....
Similar to unscrupulous "Flippers" that "Wash" a branded title by registering rig in several consecutive states, until the title no longer shows as a branded one...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27

On a new unit it's not the dealer's warranty; it's the manufacturer's warranty. There would be nothing gained by doing that.

Ray
Old 09-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alduquette View Post
I suspect many people find out after the fact, as we did, that if you register your RV to business when you purchase it new from a dealer or if was registered to a business as the first owner, ALL of the warranties are shortened to 90 days. That includes the one-year end-to-end warranty, the 12-year structural warranty, the 6-year lamination warranty, and any warranties on the engine. Our RV was titled to a business for 6 months when we bought it.

Forest River's warranty specifically states that it applies only to personal, recreational usage. It further states that if the RV is registered to a business it is considered proof that the usage is commercial and there is no warranty.

FR also does not make their warranty transferable. If you bought a week-old RV that the people never used, subsequent owners have no warranty at all. Some vendors also specifically state that their equipment warranty only applies to the original owner.

I suspect other manufacturer's have similar clauses.

Read and question what you're signing and mistakes can be avoided.

And if you're denied on warranty don't be a jerk with the manufacturer. They can provide goodwill repairs. I know one person who bought a new but previously owned motorhome. They had slide roller problems. FR had them bring the unit to the factory and covered the entire repair under their goodwill policy.

One person was crabbing up a storm and challenged FR to respond publicly. They did. They posted that the owner had registered the motorhome to a business and technically they could decline all warranty. He never wrote a thing after that.

Ray
Old 09-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Liability. Putting it in to a business or LLC limits your personal liability in case of accidents or lawsuits.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=NXR;6315785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27
I wonder if the RV dealer registered it to the dealership, knowing it was a "lemon", to get out from under the warranty. Could be deceptive practices.[/ QUOTE]

On a new unit it's not the dealer's warranty; it's the manufacturer's warranty. There would be nothing gained by doing that.

Ray
I agree that it's a manufacturer's warranty, but I suspect that the manufacturers don't pay the dealer their normal $150/hour rate and have constrained times to get the job done. There would be something gained by the dealer, more money!

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
If the reasons to title an RV to a business is to limit personal liability, If you and your spouse are the only drivers of your vehicle and it is never used for business purposes, the vehicle LLC will not provide any asset protection for the person who is driving the vehicle.

If it’s the second owner, I’m surprised there was any factory warranty. I’ve never bought a piece of equipment that had a transferable warranty.

Register it to a LLC to avoid sales and/or personal property taxes? You’re taking a chance as the warranty is a shorter time.

Register it to a business in order to depreciate it, but not using it solely for business purposes. That’s tax fraud.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #13

For a lawyer, the most painful phone call from a client: "Will you read over this document I just signed?"

Much better: "Will you read over this document I'm about to sign?"

If someone wants you to sign a bunch of docs, read them all, carefully and thoroughly. If they tell you "don't worry, it's just routine", tell them "I routinely read everything I sign, because judges routinely enforce written agreements."

If reading through pages of legalese sounds too painful, pay a lawyer to do it. It's like buying insurance. It's usually a waste of money, but then sometimes it's not.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
I’ve never bought a piece of equipment that had a transferable warranty.
Automobiles and trucks do, and I think people are so used to that that they forget they are the exceptions.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor