Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Drip on Dash

It is getting cooler in the Seattle area. Condensation on the ACE cab windows are a daily happening. I have a drip on both sides of the dash coming off the rubber flap next to the top of the window. It is enough to wet two paper towels folded into a 2-inch strip and pushed behind the rubber seal and upward. I have not used the air conditioner for over a month.

I think it is condensation from behind the fiberglass cap. If I don't wick it up, it will drip onto the leather and wet the drapes. At most, it is about 1-2 tablespoons forming a puddle on each side of the dash. By mid-morning if do not use the paper towels, the drip stops.

It stopped raining several days ago, it rained for three days, and the drip did not occur. The drip also did not occur during the hot summer months.

What do you all think?
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We occasionally have the same problem. In our situation if we leave one of the overhead cabinet doors open over the dash we have enough air circulation to eliminate the front cap sweating problem.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
WOW, it is normal? I do not have that option. The Ace has a bed that comes down from the ceiling. The back of the bed had storage pockets without any direct contact with the cap void. With the bed stowed, additional pieces of wood and hinges cover the area doubling the width. Perhaps if I install a fan and port 1-inch holes at each end to suck and pull fresh air circulation?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowT View Post
WOW, it is normal? I do not have that option. The Ace has a bed that comes down from the ceiling. The back of the bed had storage pockets without any direct contact with the cap void. With the bed stowed, additional pieces of wood and hinges cover the area doubling the width. Perhaps if I install a fan and port 1-inch holes at each end to suck and pull fresh air circulation?
Don't know about normal but it is the problem we had until we allowed air circulation thru slightly opening the cabinet door. Spent a lot of time looking for a leak first before someone suggested trying air circulation which solved our problem. It was only a problem when there was a temperature difference with warm inside and cool outside. Just a vent hole on each side might solve the problem. Small vent covers are available at home improvement stores.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might want to either run a dehumidifier or open up one of your roof vents and let the fan's pull out some of the moisture in the air. That may help and I'm not an expert on the subject, just a friend with some advice as to what we did that seemed to help out.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
TY, yes I've thought about a dehumidifier. I bought a space heater for the cabin area that is keeping some condensation from forming on the windows and it lessens the problem. You are probably right about the dehumidifier - that is next weekend's purchase. After all this is the mossy roof area of the country - it may not get subzero, but the moisture never goes away.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowT View Post
It is getting cooler in the Seattle area. Condensation on the ACE cab windows are a daily happening. I have a drip on both sides of the dash coming off the rubber flap next to the top of the window. It is enough to wet two paper towels folded into a 2-inch strip and pushed behind the rubber seal and upward. I have not used the air conditioner for over a month.

I think it is condensation from behind the fiberglass cap. If I don't wick it up, it will drip onto the leather and wet the drapes. At most, it is about 1-2 tablespoons forming a puddle on each side of the dash. By mid-morning if do not use the paper towels, the drip stops.

It stopped raining several days ago, it rained for three days, and the drip did not occur. The drip also did not occur during the hot summer months.

What do you all think?
I have an ACE also and recently have had the same problem. I also think that it is condensation coming from the front cap. I am calling Thor this morning to ask about it.
rstrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...on-106576.html
Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
This happens to a lot of motorhomes usually bad insulation between the cap and cieling contribute but just to much moisture from condensation that forms at the temp breaks. Dehumidifier or more ventilation or both are usually the fix. Condensation is a big problem in all these rigs confined space,hot showers, cooking, and breathing. Most owners manuals address this
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know I'm late to the game, but I had the same problem this last winter. I bugged Thor until they referred me to an RV repair shop who pulled out the panelling above the cabover bed to expose the cap. They added 4 inch thick batts of pink insulation and NO MORE DRIPS! Thor told me they were going to put out a service bulletin about this. If you have the problem and your dealer won't listen, call Pat Hurley at Thor. His direct number is 574-264-2900 x2074. Tell him you have the same problem as Bruce Dickson had last February. Give him the last 6 digits of my VIN number: A09234. He has all the records.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not an ACE owner but reading about the problem I hame a suggestion. If air circulation is needed and I agree it is then you could opt for one of the small computer fans like some people, me included, put in their refridgerator to keep ice build up from occuring. They are 12v, available all over the place, very quiet and they move a lot of air.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash