RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #1

Dual Pane Separation or Fogging

A few of us on the Palazzo Owners FB group have experienced issues with our dual pane windows separating and/or the side mirror windows fogging.
I spoke to NHTSA about this issue and they requested the following -
Everyone who has the window separation or fogging issue (past or present, fixed or not) PLEASE go to Safercar.gov and select "Vehicle Owners" and then "Report a Problem" button at the top right. You'll need your VIN, any pictures you have and descriptions of what and when.
This information will be of HUGE help in the NHTSA determining if a general recall should be issued for the manufacturer of the windows or otherwise and will help us all!

HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
A few of us on the Palazzo Owners FB group have experienced issues with our dual pane windows separating and/or the side mirror windows fogging.
I spoke to NHTSA about this issue and they requested the following -
Everyone who has the window separation or fogging issue (past or present, fixed or not) PLEASE go to Safercar.gov and select "Vehicle Owners" and then "Report a Problem" button at the top right. You'll need your VIN, any pictures you have and descriptions of what and when.
This information will be of HUGE help in the NHTSA determining if a general recall should be issued for the manufacturer of the windows or otherwise and will help us all!
My 2010 Newmar Bay Star Side mirror windows are badly fogged often making maneuvering difficult - I’ll “report the problem” Thanks!

Went to “Owners”, and found “Report a Safety Problem” at the very bottom of the page, kind of buried with a bunch of other stuff, and got this:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

That look right?

Old 02-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A little help finding the right page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49912D34-6917-4462-AC40-A1E2C218738C.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	276433  
Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

I think that you will find the problem is not unique to your brand motorhome. This month I had all of my windows rebuilt by Suncoast in Hudson, FL. There were 30+ RVs of all brands having windows rebuilt (some less than 5 years old). Suncoast did a great job and provide a lifetime warranty. While there, I toured the factory and they explained the difference between their process and OEM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
My 2010 Newmar Bay Star Side mirror windows are badly fogged often making maneuvering difficult - I’ll “report the problem” Thanks!

Went to “Owners”, and found “Report a Safety Problem” at the very bottom of the page, kind of buried with a bunch of other stuff, and got this:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

That look right?

Yes, that looks like the page I started with.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

Djpauls, Yes, it is a window manufacturer problem, not a Thor specific problem, which is what the NHTSA will be able to determine and be able to know exactly how a potential recall should be issued. They said that if all of the bad windows were made by Lippert after they bought the previous window company, then its a Lippert recal for all RV/trailer make models which use potentially defective windows, if it was also a problem with the previous company, then it becomes the RV/trailer company who used the windows issue (or something like that...)