Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #1

Electrical issue - no power from battery to coach

1997 Four Winds Chateau - suddenly I am no longer getting any battery power to the coach (including to the generator) unless I am plugged in. As soon as I unplug the RV there is no power to the coach or gen except to the LP alarm (must be powered from a different line?).

I figure its an issue with some part of the electrical line, but what I don’t get is the battery will charge from being plugged in. Wouldn’t it not charge from being plugged in if the line is bad?

Anyone else have this sort of issue?
Maller01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

What is the condition of your batteries? This sounds like your converter/charger is powering the coach as long as you are plugged in. When you unplug, you don't have enough battery power to run things.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #3

Thank you!

Battery is brand new, purchased Monday of this week.

I’m quite sure its charging when plugged in, I will verify in the morning.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #4

Ok so I stand corrected. It does not appear to be charging the house battery when plugged in as it is almost the same volts reading as last night before it was plugged in. The reason I thought it was is because the battery is not fully drained. However, that’s probably because its not really getting used.

So next steps are going to be to trace power lines and see what I can find I guess….
Old 08-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #5

So this issue might be way simpler than it seemed. I think its just a case of the wire connectors that go on the battery being a bit corroded causing a poor connection. Going to try cleaning them up a bit and seeing if that is the issue.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:07 AM   #6

Since the battery is only a few days old, and the problem started with the introduction of a new battery, I would start looking at the batter, connections, and cables for this problem.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #7

It seems it was indeed the cable connection as it is now charging and will run on battery power.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maller01 View Post
It seems it was indeed the cable connection as it is now charging and will run on battery power.
Make it a practice to check your batteries regularly, check for the water lever, corrosion and make sure all connections are secure and tight.
I had a bad ground connection that caused me a lot of hair loss.
😁
ninjalobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #9

I had this exact same issue on my Thor Class C. For me, it turned out to be a faulty solenoid switch between the battery and the 12 volt distribution panel. It the solenoid switch that is driven by that "house power" switch next to the door. Once the solenoid switch was replaced everything came back to life.
Sunrise Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #10

Sometimes its the small things that cause the worst issues!

Tags
battery, electric, electrical, no power, power